The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 4, 2015, 01:25 PM   #1
littlephil

Ruger American stock modifications

I'm just wondering, has anyone here ever done anything to the factory stock on a ruger american? The reason I ask is because a buddy of mine has one in .270 that he wants to turn into a mountain rifle. We both realize that it's pretty light already, but like me, he likes things that are different than the rest. This stock won't be too much of a loss if we botch it up because it's one with the ugly bluish digicam pattern on it.
I was thinking maybe we could just take a couple inches off of the forearm and reshape a tip with bondo or something, and then paint our own ugly camo pattern on it. I'm just curious if anyone has done anything remotely like this to one? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old September 7, 2015, 09:25 PM   #2
littlephil

No suggestions? I figured somebody on here has done this sort of thing before.
Old September 8, 2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I've not done it, so you may be a first.
Old September 8, 2015, 04:22 PM   #4
hoghunting

Quote:
I was thinking maybe we could just take a couple inches off of the forearm and reshape a tip with bondo or something
Bondo will probably be heavier than the two inches of fore end you plan on cutting off.
Old September 9, 2015, 12:44 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I haven't worked on an American stock, but I have done a little work to several similar stocks (all Marlin X7s, now that I think about it).

My advice: Minor shaping isn't a big deal, but major modification is a waste of time.

With good, sharp tools, shaping is ridiculously easy. (I opened a Marlin XL7 sporter barrel channel for a "heavy magnum" contour .35 Whelen barrel in under 25 minutes, using only round scrapers, for example.)

But as soon as you start making major cuts, you have to figure out how to close the holes that you've opened. The American fore end has some pretty large cavities, and very thin walls, after all.

Unless the owner is satisfied with the idea of filling the gaps with closed-cell foam and painting over it, I wouldn't even bother. Most materials that are typically considered better suited for the job will, as hoghunting brought up, weigh more than the material that was removed.
To make matters worse, the stock is so flexible that nearly any 'traditional' repair method runs the risk of delaminating from the stock when it gets flexed during carry/use.

If he wants light, try a piece of birch. Start from scratch, and shape it to be an ultra-light from the beginning.
Or, there's always fiberglass. McMillan comes to mind...

---

I, too, like my mountain rifles. In the case of a synthetic-stocked rifle that I decided to be the primary "light weight", I did one thing:
Left it alone.
And, yes, it happens to be yet another Marlin X7.
Old September 10, 2015, 12:08 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Suspect your buddy would be better off selling it and buying an All-Weather® Compact in .243, 7mm-08 or .308. 6 pounds, SS and an ugly black composite stock.
Or lopping the .270 barrel to 18.5"(won't lose much weight) or so and painting the stock. Muzzle flash and blast will be, um, noticeable though.
Old September 10, 2015, 02:51 PM   #7
jmr40

They may not be the most aesthetically appealing, but they are pretty decent stocks that shoot well if free floated. The original stocks have horizontal bracing across the forend. Newer versions have supports molded in in an X pattern that is quite a bit stiffer.

I've 2 of them, one of each stock style. All I'd do for sure is give the stock a generous free float by opening up the stock a little wider to ensure it doesn't touch the barrel. I wouldn't mess with the length.

I've seen several painted that looked good. That is up to the artistic skill of the painter.

Weight wise you're not going to do much to the American. All components are already pretty light and there isn't much you can take off. If you choose optics and mounts carefully you can still keep it right at 7 lbs scoped. Unless you want to spend $1,200 on a Kimber, or $3000 on a NULA you aren't going to get any lighter.
Old September 11, 2015, 08:54 AM   #8
littlephil

Thanks for all the replies. I never thought about the weight of the bondo being a factor, though it makes total sense now that I think about it. I realize the rifle is pretty light already, just came up with an idea for something different and I figured I'd run it by you folks to get some opinions. I'll definitely check to make sure it's free floated good when he's up from Texas around Christmas time. Other than that I guess we'll just throw some paint on the stock and find him some decent light weight glass to put on it. I couldn't imagine cutting the barrel to 18 inches, we'll actually I can, I have an m44. But I don't think it's something I'd want to shoot too much, I didn't care too much for mine when I had it because of the 22" barrel. Its probably just me, but I think anything on the 06 case should have at least a 24" tube, but I'm just weird like that. Thanks again for all the help!
Old September 23, 2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

Yes, I've done stuff like that - cut down cheap stocks to save weight. It works fine. You might lose a sling swivel stud, or might not. On a plastic one, if you do cut behind the stud, you're gonna be hard pressed to put a new stud on (at least easily) - so be advised of that.

First thing I'd do on the American is epoxy the mag into place so you don't lose it out hunting (provided it can be push-loaded from the top.... ??). A stiff wind will release that mag release on them.
Old September 26, 2015, 12:26 PM   #10
littlephil

Thanks dremel, I'll just have to look at the stock and see what I can do with it when my buddy comes up in December. If we decide to modify it, I'll try and put up some pics of how it turned out.