The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 16, 2013, 06:48 AM   #1
sigp226wgerman

Daniel Defense:V1 vs V5

I am going to buy my first AR soon. Which one of these would you recommend? I also have a question about co-witnessing: When you co-witness with a fixed front sight, is your field of vision worse? When you have flip-ups, do you need to cowitness with an Eotech once you are zeroed?
Old October 16, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
When you co-witness with a fixed front sight, is your field of vision worse?
No. You shoot with both eyes open when using a red dot sight, so you see right through the front sight post.
Old October 16, 2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Ibmikey

If you use a sight picture through the eotech or red dot the field of view will be diminished but as Fishbed indicated keeping both eyes open is the best way. Fold the rear (and front if possible) while using the optic and there is no issue. Magpul rear can have the apeture opened giving a larger field of view if you wish to use sights and dot at the same time. I often leave the eotech off and use the sights through it.
Old October 16, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
sigp226wgerman

Would you get the V1 or V5?
Old October 16, 2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Theohazard

I would get the V5. I like a rail without a fixed front sight; it gives you more options and allows for a cleaner sight picture while using a red-dot (I keep my flip-up sights down unless I need them). I also prefer a mid-length gas system on a 16" barrel; due to the lower gas pressure they are softer-shooting and tend to be a little bit more reliable.

But I would get the V1 if I was taking it to combat. The fixed front sight is stronger than a flip-up and even though most carbine-length gas systems tend to over-gas a 16" rifle, they will usually run longer without cleaning because they're over-gassed.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Ridge_Runner_5

I used to be all about co-witness with my irons and my optic. My Aimpoint T-1 came with a mount that gave me a lower 1/3rd cowitness. My God, it was amazing. That is how I would do it, if I had to again.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
ripnbst

Lower 1/3rd cowitness is my preference as well but thats not really the question here. I'd choose the V5 over the V1.

One easy way to get on paper if you do have a direct cowitness is get your sights where you want them first and then just adjust your dot to the top of the front sight while looking through the sights. Might need some slight adjustments to be perfect but it will put you on paper almost guaranteed.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

great choice on the daniel defense! i have a v2 and absolutely love it! i have about 1000 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. it is a carbine length so it does have a little more felt recoil but nothing too brutal. i have it 1/3 co witnessed with my aimpoint pro. If you ever do have a problem DD customer service is top notch.