The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
precision_shooter

What's your preferred .38spl and .357mag Bullets

Was looking for a bullet I can load in both .38spl and .357mag. Was looking at the Berry's plated flat points but they are only good to 1,200fps so that rules them out for .357. I dont really want to run non plated/jacketed bullets in either.

Am I stuck with buying jacketed bullets for .357?
What do you prefer for target and defense loads?

Thanks!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 6, 2013, 09:05 PM   #2
mmb713

For light target shooting I use Xtreme 158gr plated flat points. Right now I'm pushing them with Universal and getting right around 1100 fps out of my 6.5" Blackhawk. They should work well in 38 Special cases too, but I don't load 38 cases, just download 357. For jacketed full magnum loads I prefer Hornady XTPs but they have been AWOL for months, along with every other brand. I've had good results with Nosler and Sierra bullets too. Last time I looked Montana Bullet had 158gr JHPs in stock. I've never used them but I'm tempted to try them. Knowing how things usually go they'll probably be out of stock when I finally have the cash in hand. For defense I stick with factory loaded 125gr JHPs.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/

http://www.xtremebullets.com/
Old October 7, 2013, 04:21 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I dont really want to run non plated/jacketed bullets in either.
Just out of curiosity why not cast lead?
Old October 7, 2013, 06:15 AM   #4
precision_shooter

Wife and I have a new baby on the way, and it's just a personal decision to stay away from raw lead.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 7, 2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I use Montana Gold 158 gr. JHP bullets. They work well for full house magnums. I have used them in specials as well. I find MG normally has been having a lot more bullets listed on Tuesday and Wednesdays than any other day of the week. I don't think these bullets were designed to expand. They do shoot nicely at the range for me. I normally don't load them as hot as I could. With a Rossi 92 and 16" barrel I'm getting close to 1400 FPS.