The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 26, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

shot a 58 caliber black powder gatling gun this weekend

Shooter Round-up in Morristown MN Alhman's

got a pic in the Minneapolis Star Trib... can't see me for all the smoke, but it was pretty fun...

also shot a bolt action 50 Browning...

anyone else go there over the weekend, or lucky enough to go to an event that you get to shoot a Gatling gun???
Old August 26, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
maillemaker

Was it one that used cartridges or the reloadable tubes?

Steve
Old August 26, 2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

used regular boxer primed cartridges... they had a group reloading the cases in a trailer not to far away, I think they were cycling through 100 - 200 cases... the magazines held 20 rounds ( IIRC ) & were gravity fed... operation of the crank was supposed to be brisk & smooth... my mag fired all with out a hitch... if it got hung up, you were supposed to back crank a little then start cranking as normal again... I don't remember for sure, I think they were using 40 or 50 Grains of FFG... it was a fund raiser for their group, & I think Hodgdon or ??? donated the powder for them to use...
Old August 26, 2013, 01:12 PM   #4
indy1919

Photos... photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who is the maker of the Gatling??????
Old August 26, 2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

sorry, I didn't take any pics... there is a pic here ( can't really see me )

4th pic in the line ( the one with all the smoke )... sorry, you have to answer a couple stupid questions to see the pics ( a lot of newspaper sites are like that now ??? )

http://www.startribune.com/galleries/220970681.html

the gun had 4 barrels, & each barrel had it's own firing pin ( according to the guy running the gun )

anyone know what it is ( I don't remember it was something like a date 1858 ??? Gatling gun )
Old August 26, 2013, 01:38 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Magnum Wheel Man:

Did you get a chance to go into the store? I just love to browse Alhman's used gun racks. Much better place to browse that than Cabela's up in Rogers. Haven't been to Cabela's in Owatonna in quite awhile. I wonder what happened to Alhman's pistol warranty service. As I see their no longer servicing warranty's for S&W and Colt. I'm pretty sure I seen the article you spoke of in Sundays Star & Tribune. (MPLS, MN paper) Quite the place.
Old August 26, 2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

I shoot CAS there when I get the chance, so I've been in the store several times... I buy a lot of take off barrels there ( they have a whole wall sized rack of take off barrels ) unfortunately, they post "no guns" at the entrance ( a pet peeve of mine, a gun store banning CCW guns in the store )... I was carrying that day, & had to park about 1/4 mile away, so we skipped going in that day... I would have liked to, as I'm wanting a silver Nikon Pro Staff 5 scope, & they are back ordered at Midway, & Ahlmans had like 10% off show specials since Nikon had reps there...

they are having the CAS regionals there in a couple weeks, & they get vendors from all over the US at state championships... I don't think I'll miss regionals... always CAS stuff to buy... last time I was there at the state shoot, I found the buffalo horn birds head grips I have on my snubbie... besides... all the pretty fillies in push ups... definitely a great place to go...

the other day at Shooters Round-up, there were plenty in CAS gear, as well as a lot of old war uniforms... it was over 90 & high humidity... way too hot to wear chaps or wool war uniforms
Old August 26, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Sounds like you reside pretty close to Morristown. Lucky you. As far as the ccw imposed rule. I really don't blame them for being overly cautious these days. CAS regionals: You may encounter a couple sharp shooters from my Club there. {MGFC.} As far as push-ups: Can't afford to stare anymore. Get caught to often now._
Old August 27, 2013, 09:32 PM   #9
BerdanSS

Closest I got was looking (drooling really) over a couple hand made in Indiana Cartridge Gatlings at the Indy 1500 this past weekend.

OP.....You lucky dog

I've done the wool uniform thing lugging around a .44 G&G and 61 Springfield in the 90* heat....Not Fun AT ALL
Old August 28, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

I live between 50 & 60 miles from Ahlman's... so it's a good drive to CAS shoot there, but they have the nicest CAS shooting range I've been to... I don't like their rifle & pistol range ( I think mine is better ) but the CAS range is awesome... the store is cool, as they have obsolete ammo, once fired cases, 8 lb jugs of powder, & as mentioned, a lot of used guns, take off barrels, & stocks & fore arms, & assorted parts...
Old August 28, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
indy1919

BerdanSS.. I saw those Gatlings at the 1500 and first off let me get the "They are fantastic,, quality beauties etc etc I would sell me soul for one comments out of the way.." I do not fully understand the purpose for bringing them there.. They are in the 40k range.. They cost a bunch to set up and be at the show... Do you think that the vendor is really selling them?????
Old August 30, 2013, 09:44 PM   #12
springfield 720

I only live 20 miles away and didn't get there.. Darn pee wee football anyway.. go there all the time anyway..