The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 28, 2013, 11:38 PM   #101
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
This is the same guy that told everyone a 50 BMG and .338 Lapua would kill a man just from the pressure of the bullet passing close to him. Evidently his sniper buddy took many arms and legs off by the 50BMG passing by with so much force.
LOL. It is so hard to explain to people that this is simply not true when they genuinely believe it to be so. I'm pretty sure mythbusters even did an episode with this one.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old May 29, 2013, 02:35 AM   #102
wayneinFL

Quote:
Guy and his son working late one day, and I walk into the shop. Guy asks his son to read him the model number off of a s&w 360 revolver. Kid walks to the gun and says "38 special", father responds "no, that's caliber, I asked model". Kid takes another wild guess and goes, "smith and Wesson". Father again explains to his kid that he wants the model number. Son responds, "oh! Smith and Wesson 38 special ctg!". Finally the father just got aggregated and went over himself and looked. Kid still is up there. I guess they keep him around for entertainment purposes.
Kinda funny, but it's too bad dad couldn't explain it to him.

Quote:
This is the same guy that told everyone a 50 BMG and .338 Lapua would kill a man just from the pressure of the bullet passing close to him. Evidently his sniper buddy took many arms and legs off by the 50BMG passing by with so much force.
This is what my brother was told when he was in the Marine Corps. I think they're just trying to get people to stay away from the front of a 50 BMG.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:48 AM   #103
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
id walks to the gun and says "38 special", father responds "no, that's caliber, I asked model". Kid takes another wild guess and goes, "smith and Wesson". Father again explains to his kid that he wants the model number. Son responds, "oh! Smith and Wesson 38 special ctg!". Finally the father just got aggregated and went over himself and looked.
If the kid didn't know S&W revolvers well, those are understandable mistakes (and also one of the reasons I fear gun registration).

It's hard to find someone who's an expert on everything. For all you know, that kid could be the neighborhood sage of hunting rifles, or a reloading guru.

If folks expect every employee to be a polymath and renaissance man of guns, able to answer the most obscure of questions without pause, and willing to spend all day shooting the breeze...well, folks better be prepared to spend a lot more for stuff.
Old May 29, 2013, 12:15 PM   #104
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
I asked a guy at Gander Mountain when they expected any 9mm Luger in and he said "we only carry 9mm no German ammo.

Go back and see what happens when you ask for 9mm Parabellum.
"We don't carry Latin ammo."
Old May 29, 2013, 01:43 PM   #105
twobit

9mm Parrabellum went out of favor when the Antebellum Period started in the Deep South.
Old May 29, 2013, 01:55 PM   #106
Retired45

Just read Rbid's post and was really worried about #35, then realized I didn't have anything to worry about. I use a surge protector and DHS can' get through that. Whew!
Old May 29, 2013, 03:05 PM   #107
Hosty79

Re: Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

I just went to Gander Mountain and the gentleman there told a young lady who was looking for .22 lr that all they have is .22 shorts and those are basically blanks. I just gave a snort of derision and walked out.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:24 PM   #108
RBid

Quote:
I just went to Gander Mountain and the gentleman there told a young lady who was looking for .22 lr that all they have is .22 shorts and those are basically blanks. I just gave a snort of derision and walked out.
That is frightening.
Old May 29, 2013, 04:46 PM   #109
pathdoc

What Newton meant was, "Every action with a .45 ACP produces a mushroom cloud."

It does in E.E. "Doc" Smith's sci-fi classic "The Skylark of Space". It's worth a read - microminiaturised atomic warheads packed into the noses of .45 ACP ball rounds, ranging in explosive power from 20mm HE equivalent all the way up to... well, some of the middleweight rounds will raise a mushroom cloud 90,000ft high.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:01 PM   #110
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
"All you have to do is rack the action on a pump shotgun, and a burglar will void his bowels, find religion, and have a heart attack on the spot."
That one always drives me nuts. Around here it's on the order of, (racking shotgun) That's the universal language that says you've got about 2 seconds before hell comes your way.

I've actually seen counter guys talking people out of more expensive autos because the pump has that sound.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:12 PM   #111
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
What Newton meant was, "Every action with a .45 ACP produces a mushroom cloud."
I recently read a sci-fi book in which the character claimed he'd discharged a pistol on the moon, and the recoil energy had almost knocked him into orbit. Yep, all 8 pounds of it
Old May 29, 2013, 05:14 PM   #112
ClydeFrog

world record military sniper confirmed kill....

Im honestly not sure if it was the military sniper from Canada who used a .50BMG in 2002 or the more recent world record shot with a .338 Lapua rifle in Afganistan(UK sniper) but one of them had a kill by a huge amount of luck.
The bullet curved in flight and bounced up into a terrorist holding a heavy machine gun.
Even the military sniper said the confirmed kill was a 1 in a million chance because of the extreme range.

If the sniper told the true documented account it would sound like a gun shop story or boast. But it was true.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:43 PM   #113
RBid

Quote:
I recently read a sci-fi book in which the character claimed he'd discharged a pistol on the moon, and the recoil energy had almost knocked him into orbit. Yep, all 8 pounds of it
New terminology: "launch power"! A round so powerful, it will throw you right out of the Earth's atmosphere!...but, it's strangely controllable on the user end.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:11 PM   #114
Dr Big Bird PhD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbid
If you knew the LEOs I know out here, you'd probably find it hilarious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
My brother is a cop with a Molon Labe tattoo who has probably given more money to the gun rights fight than you have. Don't assume they all think like major urban area cops do. Or even that all urban cops think alike.
I live in Los Angeles. Every cop I've ever met was on a mission to quell the disgruntled people. I've had friends given false tickets, a fraternity brother beaten up outside my own home, sober people arrested for drunk driving, and I've seen the pictures of the cars fired on during the Chris Dorner issue.

They are not my friend.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old May 29, 2013, 06:17 PM   #115
Bluestarlizzard

Meh. Cops are diffrent people from diffrent walks of life. Some are jerks, some are cool dudes.

Dad drives for a living and, thus, gets pulled over more often then average. He always announces that he carries as a curtasy and hands over his CCL with his DL. Last time, he ended up having to tell the officer he was going to be running late if he didn't get moving, because the officer had turned into a chatty cathy and wanted Dads opinion on some pistol options for the wife.
Old May 29, 2013, 06:19 PM   #116
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Let's stick with the goofy things we hear at gun shops, guys, LEOs, good, bad or indifferent are not the topic.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; May 29, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old May 29, 2013, 07:39 PM   #117
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
New terminology: "launch power"! A round so powerful, it will throw you right out of the Earth's atmosphere!...but, it's strangely controllable on the user end.
Um, that would be the 10mm Auto, from what I've heard
Old May 29, 2013, 07:43 PM   #118
shouldazagged

Quote:
9mm Parrabellum went out of favor when the Antebellum Period started in the Deep South.

You have got to be kidding!

So do the kids in Lady Antebellum carry .40S&W?
Old May 29, 2013, 07:52 PM   #119
ClydeFrog

small town security.....

I saw a recent clip of AMCs new unscripted series: Small Town Security.
The gang went into a local gun shop(fake as all get out). The "Chief" told the sales clerk she wanted a small handgun with knockdown power.
All the clerk said was; "yes ma'am".

Im sure sales clerks & shop mgrs nationwide hear that knockdown chestnut.
Old May 29, 2013, 08:54 PM   #120
RBid

Goofy Things Said At Gun Shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Um, that would be the 10mm Auto, from what I've heard
Indeed. I've had a few guys tell me they won't carry anything less for self defense. It's the only semiauto round endorsed by Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor.

*since people don't know about 400 Corbon.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:15 PM   #121
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
since people don't know about 400 Corbon.
Ah! I forgot: the most elite (make sure to use that word) cartridge is the most obscure and most expensive. Elite Tactical Ninja only carries the best, and the best is the cartridge nobody can get. Therefore, nobody else can prove it's not any better than anything else out there.

That, or .45 GAP. Same thing.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:01 AM   #122
DaleA

And of course if you fired a parabellum round and an antebellum round so that they collided they would mutually annihilate each other produing pure energy.

(much like pasta and antipasto at Italian restaurants-you combine the two only at your own risk.)
Old May 30, 2013, 02:25 AM   #123
MarkDozier

Quote:
My cousin saw it himself in a classified location in Afghanistan! The sniper's name was Chuck Norris. He was letting SEAL Team 6 tag along, providing security. And that was after he vaporized an entire enemy force with his 1911 .45ACP from 100 yards!
hey it was Chuck Norris it has to be true....

Quote:
Post 93 is disturbing, considering the range that burned to the ground this year due to some idiot firing tracers into the rubberized backstop.
You need to go back and check your facts. Tracers do not generate the needed heat to start burning rubber. Incendaries will do the job.
Old May 30, 2013, 06:49 AM   #124
zincwarrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbid
If you knew the LEOs I know out here, you'd probably find it hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
My brother is a cop with a Molon Labe tattoo who has probably given more money to the gun rights fight than you have. Don't assume they all think like major urban area cops do. Or even that all urban cops think alike.

I live in Los Angeles. Every cop I've ever met was on a mission to quell the disgruntled people. I've had friends given false tickets, a fraternity brother beaten up outside my own home, sober people arrested for drunk driving, and I've seen the pictures of the cars fired on during the Chris Dorner issue.

They are not my friend.
I lived in Pomona during college and can vouch that Southern Cali will leave a bad taste in your mouth. However, I don't think thats the topic of this thread.

Worse comments I've seen have invariably been some range or counter dude giving women advice on pistols for CC. Inevitably they are told to either get a tiny .380 (for lower recoil) or a .45 1911 (because nothing else is strong enough).

The wife and I were at a public range. I had wandered off and she was getting ready to shoot a FS92 when some range jock unilaterally piped up that the pistol was too much for her and she should use a .380. After she emptied the mag into the red she just smiled at him.

Last edited by zincwarrior; May 31, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:47 AM   #125
Darren007

Talking to a fellow about surplus guns at the last gun show I attended :

"I have an all original, numbers matching Mauser K98 from Mitchells Mausers."

Oh dear...