The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2013, 06:22 PM   #1
cladano

Ammo for Beretta PX4 Storm .40

I just purchased a Beretta PX4 Storm .40 Full size but when I went to go buy ammo there were over a dozen options and I couldn't decide what to purchase.

What are you guys using in your .40's ??

I'm looking for a couple boxes just to plink with and another box for HD.

Thanks!
Old January 9, 2013, 06:27 PM   #2
jasmith85

For plinking I usually go with federal's FMJ rounds because they're the cheapest brass cased rounds I can usually find and they cycle just fine in every gun I've tried them in. I usually use Winchester PDX1 Bonded for self defense ammo.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
ShootingNut

Congratulations, the PX4 is a great gun!
Son owns the same gun as yours, I own a PX4 compact in 9mm.
We find them to be very accurate, and have fed our reloads
with no problems whatsover.
I love my Beretta's, altough own others also.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
bt380

Nothing in steel. Avoid too much +P. Use popular brands and the PX4 should be able to shoot them. Google PX4 40 cal bad ammo. Some folks have guns that will shoot anything, some have a gun that can only shoot certain brands. If your's is picky, shoot 300 rounds then try branching out. Might just have been exceptionaly tight an finally loosened up. May be there was burr that finally wore down, who knows. If a problelm persist, send it in.
Old January 9, 2013, 06:58 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Rounds....

For training or practice, I'd take what you can find. Buy a few boxes or case too. Rounds are now in short supply or out of stock.
See www.cabelas.com www.doubletapammo.com www.shopcorbon.com www.ableammo.com www.grafs.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com .
I'm not big on all the .40S&W now(I've owned 2 96D pistols in the past) but in short, I'd buy Hornady Critical Duty 175gr .40, the Corbon DPX, Ranger T T series 165gr JHP, the Speer Gold Dot 165gr JHP, the MagSafe SWAT, the PowRball .40, or the Golden Saber 165gr JHP bonded.
Hornady's Critical Duty is highly rated & did well in FBI protocol tests(wood/glass/fabric).
Old January 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
cladano

What grain are you other guys using?

I saw 135 up to 185 and everything in between.

Is there a generic guideline on what grain you should be using for different situation? ie.. higher grain for HD and lower grain for plinking??

Great info so far. Thanks!
Old January 10, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7
aarmel732

I have a px4 storm continuous trigger in .40. It has no trouble feeding anything. I use 180 whatever I can find for target use and POI and POA are dead on. It is my night stand gun since it came with night sights and uses heavy hollowpoints for that. It is a great accurate reliable gun. Feed it whatever you can find / afford and have fun!
Old January 10, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8
mete

There is no " +P "in 40. There are however "reduced recoil" rounds in 40 .Perhaps you could practice with them and use normal loads for carry. The Corbon DPX [all copper barnes ] is probably the best .In any case pick what your guns likes .
Old January 10, 2013, 01:52 PM   #9
LockedBreech

I have successfully shot 5-6 brands of JHP through my PX4.

I currently carry the excellent Speer Gold Dot 180-grain, but will soon transition to the 165-grain of either Gold Dot or Federal HST due to setback over pressure concerns in the 180-grain.

Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot are both made by ATK. Outstanding performance and above-average quality control on both.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:46 PM   #10
cladano

Well I went to the store today and picked up some ammo.

I bought some American Eagle FMJ .40 155 grain ($18) for plinking and a box of Hornady Critical Defense FTX .40 165 grain ($20) for HD

I should be hitting the range this week. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes.