The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1
namnuts

Home Defense and fun??

Ok, help me choose. I've been looking at a Benelli M1 or a Browning bps high capacity 8 shot pump. Both are LNIB but, on the net. I can't pick them up to see how they feel. The Benelli is double the price of the Browning, which is ok if it's double the gun in quality and resale. What do you all think?? THANKS, for your time with my questions.
Semper Fi
MGYSGT
USMC RET.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Woody55

I have a Benelli semi auto that my wife bought me for my birthday a while back. it isn't the M1 but I think the action is the same. It's a beautiful gun, reliable and a pleasure to shoot. You can actually feel the action working when you fire it. Less recoil than I would have expected for such a light gun.

I have a friend who has an M1. It isn't beautiful, but it's reliable and also great to shoot.

I don't know about the Browning pump you are comparing it with. Never touched one. If your finances can stand it, I suggest that you buy the M1.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Creeper

You didn't say what model of Benelli other than it's an M1. The M1 is a platform, replaced several years ago with the improved and current M2 model... however, the M1 is still highly desirable. Both guns use the Benelli "Inertia" operating system (not a gas operated gun), are quite light, and balance well. There are also numerous aftermarket products available for them.

If it's a modest barrel length M1 field model... that would make a fine HD and general all around fun gun. If it's a M1 tactical model with a 18.5" barrel... great HD, less all around, but still fun for casual sporting use.
Benelli M1, M2 and M4 (tactical) models have excellent resale value... sometimes selling for more than the original MSRP.
The Benelli M1 and M2 field models (21", 24" and even the occasional 26") that are used as bases for 3-gun competition by a substantial number of competitors are quite popular.

I know very little about the Browning BPS, so that's for someone else to answer. Even though I own several, I doubt the Benelli is "double" the quality of the Browning... but I suspect (IMO) the resale is, among tactical and 3-gun competition buyers, much better than the Browning.

Cheers,
C
Old September 20, 2012, 03:07 PM   #4
BigJimP

I have a pair of BPS Hunter models ...both very solid guns / but the high capacity is a different animal - it has the quality of all the Browning BPS guns...but its not a sought after model ...it has a fixed cyclinder choke, retails for around $ 650 ...not a good resale value / because most guys will go with one of the cheaper Rem 870's or the Mossberg for a tactical pump shotgun...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...2&tid=263&bg=x

BPS high capacity comes in a wood stock version or a synthetic version.....and in the current catalog they're both only available in .410 ...( not 12ga ...) ...??? I think they used to be available in 12ga ...but I'm not sure...

Benelli M-1 is an inertia operated semi-auto ...with changeable screw in chokes...but like Creeper said - there is more than one model...

Is the Benelli a better gun than the BPS - heck no ....is it way different, Yes !! You have an apple and oranges comparison on your hands....

The better Tactical shotguns out there....the M-2 Benelli's are pretty good ( Inertia operated ) ...or the Benelli M-4 is very good ( gas operated ) ...but you'll spend a lot more money for both ....

Depends on whether you're really going to shoot this thing or not ....or if its just going to set in your safe.../ personally I have a lot of shotguns - but I have no use for a Tactical shotgun ...its only good for Tactical stuff...not shooting clays or hunting or whatever..../ I rely on my handguns for defense...and my shotguns for fun ...clays, live birds, etc..( whether they're pumps, semi-autos or Over Unders...) shotgunning is fun...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...2&tid=211&bg=x

BPS Hunter model ...is available in 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ...and in a 12ga ...it makes way more sense to me than the high capacity in .410 ....
Old September 20, 2012, 05:49 PM   #5
namnuts

HD AND FUN

WOODY 55, CREEPER, AND BIG JIM P...
THANKS, for the quick response. The M1 super 90 is a tactical model with 18.5 barrel. It also has the mag ext, ghost-ring sights, pistol grip stock, oversized bolt handle, 3 chokes and wrench. I guess I'am going to turn loose of some mad money and get it.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
WOODY 55, CREEPER, AND BIG JIM P...
THANKS, for the quick response. The M1 super 90 is a tactical model with 18.5 barrel. It also has the mag ext, ghost-ring sights, pistol grip stock, oversized bolt handle, 3 chokes and wrench. I guess I'am going to turn loose of some mad money and get it.
First class HD gun... entirely workable for 3-gun competition and fun for casual sporting purposes. If you like, PM me with your price and I can give you a better opinion of it being a good deal or not.

Don't know what brand of OS bolt handle... keep an eye on it, cheap ones like to leap out of the gun.
Don't know what kind of mag tube... cheap ones bend, break at the threads, dent, don't feed and are just generally more trouble than they are worth. OE Benelli, Nordic, Briley and DWM are a few of the good ones. Everything else on the gun is probably stock Benelli.
If the length of pull is too long, Mesa Tactical makes a PG stock (Urbino) that has a 12.5" LOP, but you may not like it for sporting use.

Cheers,
C