The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2011, 06:19 PM   #1
antibiotic

win #1400 missing part necessary for operating

I was cleaning a used winchester 1400 semiauto 12 ga. that i just purchased. I was looking at a spread schematik drawing of it, and noticed that a o-ring is missing on this thing. its where the barrel ring slides over the magazine tube and then you have a threaded cap that locks the barrel in place. is this o-ring necessary? i really dont see any room for it, nor do i see a seat or recessed groove for the oring to fit onto the barrel support ring. I guess i will find out if i shoot it! well,,, it will be a while till i can do that. so for you gunsmiths, is it really required? because if it is, i want to order one. my guess is, its going to work the action without it, and maybe leak a little gas. thanks
Old October 12, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
quepasakimosabe

Autoloaders

I dont have to much experience with autoloaders, I have only worked on 2 J.C. Higgins model 60's. After looking at the schematic the most i can think would happen is it may not handle the light loads well, such as #8 2-3/4 skeet shot and such. I would say get out and shoot it with a variety of loads you intend to used and if its fine keep it the way it is. That gas leaking if it does will make it one nasy gun after a few hundred rounds tho I dont think the O-ring is there to make a piston seal though because that would subject the part much heat and ruin it fast. i could be wrong though. Just my .02
Old October 12, 2011, 04:18 PM   #3
PigFarmer

Don't know about the Winchester but my Remington 1187 needs the O-ring to cycle properly.
Old October 12, 2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Powermwt

Do you mean the forend spacers, item 24?

I have a 1400 with two different barrels and I don't think I have the spacers (if they are there they are glued in).

I sent this shotgun back to Winchester in the 1980s and they fitted a new barrel to it and added a slug barrel. The old barrel was cutting high base brass.

It seems to shoot great now... it was bought new for me back in 1964.

I will confirm if those are the spacers you are discussing.

Or, is this O-ring on the cap... item 58?

I don't see anything on this spacer in the manual either.

http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/...l1400_om_s.pdf

Last edited by Powermwt; October 12, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old October 12, 2011, 06:15 PM   #5
antibiotic

missing oring,spacers

i forget the websight i seen the schamatic on. this drawing is a little different.
the oring according to this drawing would be located on the receiver side of the barrel retainer ring#30, on the picture. i think that is whats missing, the forend spacers! yet the forend and barrel are tight when cap is screwed on. i think i will just have to try it out and see if i need them. thanks for the help