The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 1, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1
FS2K

Has anyone here removed/replaced their M1 Carbines barrel?

I am getting set to do just that to my 'ole Bessy and was wondering if there was anything I should look out for. Any help would be appreciated!
Old September 1, 2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

For a start, you'll need a barrel vise setup (NOT a shop vise, no matter how big,), and an action wrench made for the Carbine.

To install a new barrel, you'll need a chamber reamer set and a set of head space gages.
If the barrel doesn't align properly, you'll need a lathe to cut the barrel shoulder.

If you do not have a pro type barrel vise set up, and a real Carbine action wrench you WILL ruin the receiver.

If you install a barrel without checking head space and possible having to use the chamber reamer set to set head space, you may well get a face and eyes full of hot brass from an improperly head spaced rifle.

If you're going to do barrel work, you better know WHAT you're doing BEFORE you start it.
I highly recommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The U.S. .30 Caliber Carbines: A Shop Manual".
This is a real gunsmith's book showing EVERYTHING about the Carbine, including how to change the barrel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...048&t=11082005
Old September 2, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Great post, Dfariswheel.

One other note on the carbine. If you don't have the barrel lined up perfectly, you can have the slide jump out of its raceway and tear things up or bind and not function properly. And DON'T ever try to turn the barrel by using a wrench on the gas cylinder! In spite of posts from the "pipe wrench" crowd saying rebarrelling is easy, the M1 rifle and M1/M2 carbine present problems you don't encounter when changing a barrel on a sporting rifle. That is why general gunsmith books should NOT be followed with those rifles; as Dfariswheel said, get Kuhnhausen's book and read it carefully before doing anything.

Jim
Old August 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #4
jmiles1960

Re-indexing M1 Carbine Barrel

My carbine has a problem with the slide jumping out of the raceway. Just as you decribe above. I suspect the barrel indexing is off; a new barrel was installed before I purchased it from the previous owner. (Winnie barrel).

Do either of you do re-indexing (gunsmithing on carbine's) services? If not, can you recommend someone who does? I'd really like to have this carbine fixed correctly, not just by any gunsmith who does re-barreling jobs.

Thanks!
Old August 22, 2011, 01:28 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am retired and no longer do any work for others. I second everything Dfariswheel said, but will add that most of the carbine barrels out there seem to be takeoffs, not new barrels. That means that the headspace was already set to another gun and another bolt, and that can present other problems. If you luck out, the headspace will either be OK or tight. If it is excessive, time to remove that barrel and try another.

Jim
Old August 22, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6
amd6547

The question nobody asked....Why are you wanting to change your barrel?
Old August 22, 2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

Among good places to get your carbine barrel correctly installed are Fulton Armory and Orion 7:

http://www.m1garandrifle.com/

http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Call them and talk to them before sending it in. You can ship the action and barrel to them and they can ship it directly back to you without you having to use an FFL Dealer.
Old August 22, 2011, 09:30 PM   #8
jmiles1960

amd6547: a new barrel was installed and apparently the indexing is off, causing the op rod to pop out on the 3rd or 4th round. I'm looking for a knowledgeable 'smith to tweak it.

dfariswheel: thanks for the links. I will check those places out.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:27 AM   #9
1911rocks

Another choice

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/