The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1
BFR45/70

Reloading for the BFR45/70

Hello, Rick here and I am wondering if anyone might have some loading data for my BFR. I have been looking everywhere I can think of and they all tell me there is no such thing as a 45/70 revolver reloading manual. I did get a couple of loads from shooting times magazine. I have the 10 inch barrel with a 2x8 power leupold on it and its a fine shooter, I would like to find some stiff loads to shoot as factory ammo seeming to be loaded for safety in the old trapdoors rifles and way to mild for my likeing. I have several boxes of laser cast bullets, 300, 350. and 405 grain and also lots of 400, and 405 grain jacketed bullets to load. In looking at listed info from magnum research, they show the 45/70 against the 450 marlin which you can change cylinders and shoot either one in this revolver by the way. I happen to be a 45/70 fan myself but they show over twice the velocity and energy with the 450 marlin and since they are comparing mild trap door rounds to the hotter loaded 450 rounds. I know what the 45/70 will do if loaded for the 1895 lever action or the ruger#1 or #3. Would just like to find some powders and loads that would jump up my 45/70 with the 10 inch barrel that would compare with the speed and energy they have with the 450 marlin. Magnum Research would not give any loading data for liability purposes but said I could send my revolver bank and be fitted with the 450 marlin cylinder and then I wouldn't have to worry about it. That wasn't the point other than just trying to find some45/70 loads to match its twin. Thanks for listening to all the bellyacheing and if you might know somewhere to point me i would be greatful . Rick...
Old April 29, 2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Doodlebugger45

If you go over to the Hodgdon website
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
you will find 3 different sections for 45-70 loads. The low pressure loads are labeled as trapdoor only. They have pressures of up to about 20,000 CUP. Then there is another section titled lever action. They give loads that generate up to about 30,000 CUP. And finally they have a section titled modern rifles. Those loads go up to about 50,000 CUP.

Choose your comfort level. As always though, start with the mild loads and gradually work your way up. It appears that H4895 and Varget are decennt all around choices for that cartridge and will cover a wide spectrum of pressures.
Old April 29, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3
BFR45/70

Hey Doodlebugger45 thanks for the info I have reloaded for years for both rifles and pistols, I guess this individual Rifle cartridge pistol is what is giving me the problems i'm having. most of the loading data in those manuals like the one you refered me to do have there three different catagorys of cup pressures for sure I guess that as far as velosity goes most are obtained with 20 to 24 inch barrels and with the powders they are useing I am wondering what velocitys I will get with same loads with only 10 inch barrel? Was told by someone else that most powders are all burned up in first two or three inches of the barrel so does this mean my velocities will be the same as the rifles? I don't see how it could myself. Still confused but I never give up!