The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1
rburch

New Mossberg 500 Field/Security

So I recently picked up a Mossberg 500 field/security model. Ordered it from Davidson's on sale, and managed to get the wood stocked one for cheaper than the synthetic sells normally.

Comes with the 18.5" cylinder bore barrel, and a 28" with screw in chokes. She wears the short barrel most of the time with a full tube of Fiocchi Reduced Recoil 00 Buck. I've added a cheap ACE sleeve to hold another 6 rounds.

Not sure exactly why, but I've always preferred wood furniture on my guns, and think this one's a beauty.

May be cheap, but the ACE does the job so far.

I have slugs too, can't say how much I like this Fiocchi ammo. 9 pellets of 00 buck at 1150fps, that recoils like birdshot, and rifled slugs that don't recoil much more. Cheap too, $6.50 for a box of 10, I've found my main HD round.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old October 22, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Sportsman 12

Looks great in wood.
Old October 22, 2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Shadi Khalil

I have the same but with the synthetic stocks. I really like the look of the wood on it.
Old October 22, 2010, 05:14 PM   #4
rburch

Yeah, I was going for the synthetic stock because of price, then noticed the Wood on sale and just had to go for it.

May not be quite as practical as the synthetic, but does the jobs I need it to, and looks better doing it.

Really just spend most of the time in the cabinet tube and sleeve loaded, chamber empty. In case somethin want's to come sneaking in at night.

But have the longer barrel so she'll work better when I go out to bust some clay targets with my family.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old October 23, 2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nice looking gun, but I didn't see where you shot it and found it good there also.

I would not put any firearm on active defense status until it had quite a few rounds through it w/o a problem. Minimum, Ayoob's Rule of 200 rounds glitch free.

That goes for accessories also. Some folks report those butt cuffs move under recoil and need taping to stay put. The one I had did stay put, but impeded weak side shooting.YMMV.

So,go blast the heck out of something, have fun, and learn your weapon until it's a body part and not just a showpiece.

HTH....
Old October 23, 2010, 10:29 AM   #6
rburch

Quote:
Nice looking gun, but I didn't see where you shot it and found it good there also.

I would not put any firearm on active defense status until it had quite a few rounds through it w/o a problem. Minimum, Ayoob's Rule of 200 rounds glitch free.

That goes for accessories also. Some folks report those butt cuffs move under recoil and need taping to stay put. The one I had did stay put, but impeded weak side shooting.YMMV.

So,go blast the heck out of something, have fun, and learn your weapon until it's a body part and not just a showpiece.

HTH....
Had it out at the range once and put just over 100 rounds through it. Most of that was birdshot since I was patterning the chokes with my target loads just to see how much difference the chokes make.

But did put about 20 rounds of the buck through it to see how it did. Really like those reduced recoil loads, but only bought a couple box so have to order more before it can really be tested.

Should get out in the next month with the family and put a couple hundred target loads through her.
Old October 23, 2010, 03:29 PM   #7
nogo

Don't forget to buy a 20 ga version. I've owned M-500's for years and think highly of them. Consider applying loctite to the extractor screw and replacing the plastic thumb safety with a metal one available on-line. Enjoy.
Old October 23, 2010, 03:36 PM   #8
hoytinak

I've got the same shotgun. Got a couple thousand rounds through her so far and never had and problems. I did have to replace the mag tube/18.5" barrel a a while back as I bent the other ones (fell off the back of the truck and got ran over ). It's very easy for me to swap out my 18.5" HD barrel for my 28" hunting barrel. I know if I take care of it (cleaning/lubing) it'll be there for me when I need it, plus I just prefer pumps as they're nice and simple. I use Fiocchi low recoil 00 buck for HD and various rounds for hunting depending on what I'm going out for.

Old October 23, 2010, 04:12 PM   #9
rburch

Quote:
Don't forget to buy a 20 ga version. I've owned M-500's for years and think highly of them. Consider applying loctite to the extractor screw and replacing the plastic thumb safety with a metal one available on-line. Enjoy.
My dad wants to get a 20ga for my little brother, and he's debating between the 500 and Rem 11-87.

My dad has an 11-87 12ga, and my brother really likes it, but it's a little too big for him.

I prefer the 500 for the simplicity of keeping it running, so my vote goes toward it if I was getting it. Think my brother would prefer the autoloader though.