The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2008, 09:59 PM   #1
KMO

Mossy 500 5-Round Mag?

I'm looking for a Magazine tube to fit a Mossberg 500, one that holds 5 rounds, 15 1/2 inches long. Anyone have one?
Old February 13, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2
fourrobert13

Your current magazine tube should hold 5 rounds as long as the plug is removed. Otherwise, www.brownells.com has what you are looking for.
Old February 13, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
KMO

Yes, it does hold 5, in fact it holds 7. Here's my problem. I bought a second barrel and it does not align with my present mag tube for the Moss 500. My local gunsmith says repositioning the screw on the new barrel "isn't gunna happen," which I'm interpreting as "can't be done easily." So, I'm looking for a second mag that I can switch out when I want the longer barrel on the gun. Any better solutions out there?
Old February 13, 2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Desert01

Your post is not realy that clear, but it sounds like you have a 20" Mossberg with this tube:

631-000-328 Magazine Tube, 8-Shot

You have purchased some other barrel for the Mossberg 500 and need the set of parts:

631-000-007 Magazine Tube
631-000-123 Magazine Tube Spring

The 20" "defense" models are dedicated defense shotguns. The stand 5+1 models let you use the various sporter barrels and the 18" defensive barrels.

Part numbers are from the Brownells Web Site.

With out knowing what barrel you have it is hard to address what your smith said, but removing the silver soldered lug, moving and re attaching it would probably cost you more then buying a second shotgun, by the time it is all said and done. If you don't ruin the barrel in the process.

Good luck.
Old February 13, 2008, 09:56 AM   #5
fourrobert13

Well if I had more info to go on at the time of my post, I might have been able to give more info.

If you have the 20" barrel, you will need to replace your magazine tube out with the 5 shot magazine tube. Desert01 has provided you with the links and part #, so it shouldn't be a problem to do what you need to do.
Old February 13, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6
KMO

Thanks guys...I lucked out & found a used second mag tube, spring, & end cap for darn cheap. And, yes, mine is a 20-inch barrel, currently set up with a 7-round mag tube. This new barrel is 28-inch, and its lug is set up for a 5-round tube. Wouldn't hurt to have more versatility, right? ...2 barrels, 2 magazines...I'm a happy guy...

Last edited by KMO; February 13, 2008 at 04:36 PM.