The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 12, 2005, 05:20 AM   #151
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by czc3513
I think of myself as a philosopher and I have taken a class on ethics. I dont believe in universal right but I do think that some things are wrong. Maybe everything is wrong. Why am I here? Should I be here?
If everything is wrong then wrong loses its frame of reference - saying "everything is right" or "everything is wrong" would be equally absurd statements, because with the total presence of one and the total absence of the other, there is no basis for comparison between the two. But perhaps that too is wrong and dualism is merely one of many erroneous ways that we interpret the true nature of the universe. I suppose it depends on whether the concept of "wrong" is contingent on human ethics, or if there is a deeper, universal law. But then I just think of what we know of scientific law, and I figure that as far as we know, that's the only sense of right and wrong that the universe has. It does what it does.

....Eh, maybe we'd better stick to PMs on this stuff

Something in this post has to be about this thread... I'll just reiterate what I've said before.

Acting without thinking can cause you to hurt others when your intent was to help them. "Good intentions" do not necessarily translate to right action. Those who bear arms must live lives of neverending, stringent self-examination regarding what is prudent, and what is beneficial to those around them. Non-interference may be far more helpful than active interference. It depends. Because that is so important, I'm going to type it again. It depends.
Old October 12, 2005, 08:39 AM   #152
Derius_T

Glenn Wrote:

Quote:
Whatever, the gun world likes to talk in absolutes - unfortunately, we know better about behavior. Good people easily do bad things under certain circumstances and vice versa. If people don't want to believe that for reasons of self-image, I really don't care. I talk to the informed reader who might want to know what determines altruism. We have known for a long time that people's introspections really are bad predictors of behavior in many situations.
I understand your point Glenn, I think. You are sort of saying that it's much easier to point to yourself under anonimity on this forum, and announce that you would do this or that every time, because you are morally superior, yet when the SHTF, human nature and self-preservation often cause you to act differently than you think you would. Right?

If so, thats true. I won't deny it. I was only stating that for ME, I honestly believe I would, and have, helped people without a thought for myself. Did I do it for glory or out of an exaggerated sense of self-importance? No. I did it simply because I didn't think about it at all. I saw someone who needed help, was there, and did what I could. Would I risk my life every single time? I'm not sure. I don't really know the answer to that until the situation arises. But I do honestly believe my first instinctive thought in the situation would be to help if at all possible. Call it what you will. I chalk it up to the way I was raised, and the values that were instilled in me all my life.
Old October 12, 2005, 04:02 PM   #153
joab

Quote:
All in good fun brother!
I took it as such, but

How dare you even imply that Uncle Walt, the sainted builder of Orlando and Kissimee, is not alive.

I'm telling on you next time I see him

And not all countries have taxes like we do

I have an uncle in Vietnam that has never paid any taxes
Old October 12, 2005, 06:03 PM   #154
czc3513

My Ethics instructor suggested that ethics is what you think that it is. You might think that it is this, because you think that others think that it is this. You might think that allowing someone to die is wrong because you think that other people think this. Personally, I would not allow someone to die. Its not about ethics, its about being a hero. I want to be a hero.
Old October 12, 2005, 06:09 PM   #155
czc3513

Quote:
I see 4 outcomes to this situation.
A store is being robbed at gunpoint.
I am in the store and I have a gun.
I could...
(A) Shoot the BG. (GREY)
(B) Shoot the BG if he shoots anyone. (BLUE)
(C) Wait and call 911. (GREEN)
or
(D) Wait, shoot the BG, grab the money, and run. (RED)
Should a cop A or B?
Old October 12, 2005, 07:34 PM   #156
gddyup

Quote:
Its not about ethics, its about being a hero. I want to be a hero.
The opportunities for heroism are limited in this kind of world: the most people can do is sometimes not to be as weak as they've been at other times. - Angus Wilson

"Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement" - Unknown.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein
Old October 13, 2005, 05:31 AM   #157
czc3513

BLUE = Law Enforcement
Should a cop...
(A) Shoot the BG.
Or
(B) Shoot the BG if he shoots anyone.
?
Old October 15, 2005, 02:46 PM   #158
czc3513

Old October 16, 2005, 08:46 PM   #159
Boss Spearman
Registration in progress

In this day and age of gun owners increasingly being targetted as agressors, I don't see myself rushing in to help people I don't know. Yes, I could save a life, but I'm just as likely to be arrested for interfering.

Granted, in Indiana, I believe I'm more likely to be viewed as a good citizen preventing a crime, but if it's not me or my loved ones being assaulted, I just don't know.