The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 12:11 AM   #1
Drivie

What determines shell length acceptance?

I'm wondering if it's the barrel or the receiver that determines whether a shotgun can handle 2.75" and 3" shells? Sorry if this is a really stupid question.

Thanks for your help!

Drivie
Old November 25, 2002, 01:29 AM   #2
Redlg155

As I understand it, it is the reciever type that determimes whether or not you can use just 2 3/4 or both. I'll use the warning in the Cabelas Catalog section concerning the Remington 870 Shotgun.
Barrels with 3" chambers will fit both magnum and 2 3/4" recievers and will handle both 2 3/4" and 3" shells with the magnum reciever. (An M at the end of the serial numer=Magnum Reciever). Use only 2 3/4" shells when barrrels are used on 2 3/4" recievers

Now check out the Model 1100 warnings.
All barres have 2 3/4" chambers (except steel shot barrel). 1100 steel shot barrel- Used with non-magnum reciever you can shoot 2 3/4 magnum lead or steel or 3" magnum steel shotshells. DO NOT USE 3" mag lead. Used with a magnum reciever, you can shoot 2 3/4 mag or 3"mag lead or shotshells.

It seems to me that at least for Remington, the reciever rating determines what you can use even if your barrel is a 3" chamber.

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 25, 2002, 02:59 AM   #3
Kevlarman

I think it's both.

Not only does the shell have to fit in the chamber properly, it also has to be able to fit thru the ejection port after firing.
Old November 25, 2002, 06:23 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Both....

Yhe chamber has to be long enough for the crimp to open fully. Otherwise, pressure rises and the pattern goes to Heck.

The receiver has to be long enough to work the longer shell through the firing cycle.

And the only really stupid questions are those that do not get asked...