The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2000, 04:26 PM   #1
Hueco

Should I buy a Remington 1100 now to practice double trap/skeet, and then later but a good o/u? I could use the 1100 later on for hunting. But if I went with a Citori now (XT Trap), could I use that for hunting? What would you recommend me doing?

Hueco
Old February 1, 2000, 09:06 AM   #2
Dave Conway

You have a couple issues here. Decide if you want a semi auto or an o/u. The advantages I see in a semi auo is that they tend to have less recoil, are generally lighter (and thus quicker compared to the same lenth o/u) and they hold more shells for hunting. Also, you have to pick a barrel length for all three which is a conflict betweee trap and skeet and maybe hunting. Also, depending on what you intend to hunt should have considerable influence here. If you are hunting waterfowl, you barrel should be special steel for steel shot. For upland game, probably a shorter barrel because you may want to get through the brush and less weight to lug all day. Do you really want/need a specialty gun? You could make these decisions in whatever order you want as they are all important.

My suggestion for whatever its worth, buy two guns. The first should be for what type of shooting you want to get into now. One long, maybe 30" (trap, sporting clays ducks etc) and the other short at 26" for skeet .
If you prefer to afford just one and you want to do it all, how about a Citori Lightning O/U (or something similar) with 28" barrels. This woud perform well for all of the shooting you menioned.

Good luck woth you toy(s).
Old February 1, 2000, 02:44 PM   #3
Hueco

I believe that the Citori line as a whole utilizes the Invector choke system. If this is true, then the Extended Swing tubes could be used to extend a 26" to a 28" or a 30". A 28 could be extended to a 30" or a 32". So if that is true, a short barreled Citori would be very versatile. But also, cannot one change the barrels on the Remington 1100? Of course, that would cost mroe to change length, and not nearly as convenient as simply changing chokes on the Citori. So for versatility as far as a skeet/trap/hunting shotgun goes, I think the best way to go would be a Citori and some ES chokes. This sound right to you? It does to me, but that's just me.

Hueco