The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #1
SgtLumpy

Stupid Gun Stuff on TV, Movies, News Reports

Is there already a thread of that nature? And/Or is this the appropriate subsection for that?

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 19, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2
2ndsojourn

Any news station is full of stupid gun stuff.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:32 PM   #3
trg42wraglefragle

Watch the movie RED with Bruce Willis last night, which involved many things being wrong when it came to guns.
The worst being the M2 50cal not penetrating the side of a car from less than 25 yards away.

I don't think movie makers even attempt to be accurate when it comes to firearms.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:40 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

ClickOrlando.com

I posted a reply in a TFL topic about Lauren Rowe, a local Emmy winner, did a in depth look at firearms. It was so-so. She asked for viewer input & information about firearms/gun laws too. She's on Facebook; www.Facebook.com LaurenRoweNews if you want to see her gun/media report.

Clyde
Old February 19, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
David13

Nothing is accurate on tv or in films. It's all fiction. It's all created or recreated, or 'dramatization'.
I think my favorite of late is Walking Dead.
One pseudo old geezer (not a real old geezer, just plays one on tv) has a shotgun. And he stands there for about an hour and a half, firing away, pump action, I think, pump, shoot, maybe 40 to 60 shots. I lost count.
What kind of shotgun was that supposed to be?
dc
Old February 19, 2013, 09:57 PM   #6
SgtLumpy

I guess that means it's ok to post that stuff here.

Reading the wire news about that ex-LAPD Big Bear situation - The CA Fish and Wildlife officers fired their "Large caliber assault rifles". If that wasn't silly enough, then the Yahoo news comments had even sillier stuff like "What's a large caliber assault rifle? - It's anything over 30-06". "It's anything 30 cal and higher". "It's anything 50 cal and higher". "It's anything with a clip".

Now I'm itchin to have one of those clip fed, 51 cal assault rifles. Hope it comes with a folding stock.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 20, 2013, 12:47 AM   #7
miconoakisland

Watching "Border Wars" episode where they were searching a house for drugs and found a Ruger revolver and said it's "loaded to the gills!"
Old February 20, 2013, 01:00 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Ready to go?... Go where?...

The common one on "unscripted" series like Fox's long run Cops(1987 or so) or the basic cable cop stuff is; ready to go.
When a sworn LE officer or federal agent finds ANY loaded firearm it's ready to go.

Legally owned weapons or firearms NOT involved with crimes are not going to bite or kill LE officers. Grow up!
Old February 20, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Back in the late 80's when I was still stuck in Crooked County Illinois I nearly fell out of my seat laughing. They had shown a table full of guns that they had confiscated from a so called drug lord. (read small time local pusher). His "Arsenal" included a 22 pistol, a .380 pistol, A revolver, (I am assuming 38 spl.) A pair of pump shotguns, (assuming 12 gauge but who knows) and a machine gun. That is when I fell out of my chair. It was a single shot 22 caliber rifle with a Schuetzen style stock. Considering the rest of the mediocre guns on the table I have to assume it was stolen and the dealer had no idea what he had and neither did the police or the ch 5 WMAQ news station producers in Chicago. This was and still is why I call their crime reporters clowns and their bits on news about guns "comedy hour".
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #10
Skans

How about Joe Biden telling folks the only thing they need to do to defend themselves use their double barrel shotgun and fire two warning shots. So, now anyone looking to attack you, with your Joe Biden double barreled shotgun, just needs for you to fire your two shots into the air, and then attack.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
How about Joe Biden telling folks the only thing they need to do to defend themselves use their double barrel shotgun and fire two warning shots.
If you're referring to the question-and-answer gig he did a few weeks ago, he didn't actually say anything about warning shots. He did, however, claim that a shotgun was safer than an "assault rifle" in the hands of someone who didn't know how to use it, or even if they did know how to use it ("it" being an "assault rifle").

So he basically said that a shotgun in the hands of an untrained person was safer than an "assault rifle" in the hands of someone who was trained to use it...
----
Edited to add:
Oops. I see he's come out with a new piece of double-barreled shotgun idiocy, and while he doesn't actually say "warning shots," he pretty much says, Blast away, and don't worry about aiming. This is even worse advice than to fire warning shots in the air, IMO.

However, I was encouraged to see that the results of linked poll, which asked "Is this good advice?" was running 68% to 32% in favor of NO.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; February 21, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:21 PM   #12
BarryLee

CNN Anchor/Reporter Don Lemon stating that no one hunts with an AR-15 because if you shot a deer with one the meat would be unusable because the gun would destroy the animal.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 21, 2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Evan Thomas

I had a friend tell me the same thing a few years ago. She's not wildly anti-gun, just someone who doesn't know much about them, and who'd believed the nonsense that was spewed around the last AWB.

I tried to explain the difference between automatic and semi-automatic, but I don't think she really wanted to hear it.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Hog Buster

Somebody should inform Joe Biden that ammunition is way too expensive to be wasted on warning shots.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Dr Big Bird PhD

Anyone that thinks a .223 will make deer meat unusable, but hitting it with a 30-06 will keep it fresh, is malignantly ignorant and not worthy of my time or respect.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 21, 2013, 04:03 PM   #16
ltc444

Joe Biden's comments were generally laughable.

He did do something for us that we should not overlook. He acknowledged the right and need for ordinary citizens to have firearms for self protection.

We need to use his words in any discussion involving the right and need for firearms for self defense.

Just like we need to incorporate the justification Law enforcement agencies use to justify purchase of AR-15 "Patrol Rifles" The bad guys would outgun them.

If it is justified for cops then it is justified for ordinary citizens.