The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2001, 12:25 PM   #1
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Casting with the standard Lyman #2 alloy, Lyman molds (#357421 & 311041), double cavities each. Both of these are having bullets hang up on the right side cavity, far side. Opening the molds, the nearside bullet drops right out but the farside keeps hanging to frustration.

End up having to smach the dickens out of the pivot point (several times) to get the darned things to drop out. Beginning to make me nuts & is taking the fun out of the process.

I've checked the cavity for burrs, etc. & see zip signs.

Any ideas?
Old March 25, 2001, 02:37 PM   #2
Paul B.

Labgrade. You can send the mold to me, and I'll severely discipline them for you.
Seriously, I have quite a few molds that do this, and they seem to be "burrless". I've never really found a rememdy that I would have the guts to try. You might try touching the edges up, very carefully with an Arkanas file. If could be the sticking cavity has sharper edges that the non sticking side.
This somethimes works. After knocking off the sprue, open the mold only slightly and tap the front of the mold gently. Somehow, this seems to loosen the bullets more easily than banging on the hinge. Tapping gently on the opposite side of the sticking cavity sometimes works as well. You'll just have to experiment a bit. Smoking the mold may very well help some too.
Paul B.
Old March 25, 2001, 04:07 PM   #3
Keith J

Burrs

The burrs that cause this problem can be near microscopic. Use a 10x jewler's loupe and inspect the edges. Stoning the mating surfaces can sometimes give rise to burrs so be careful.

Also, twirling a plug of 0000 steel woll in the closed cavity can help. Be sure to clean the grease out after this. Also, smoking with a butane lighter can help. Don't use a match as they can leave an oily residue.
Old March 25, 2001, 08:38 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

i got some stuff from midaway called mold prep- i think it is spray graphite-it works great and also coats the mold a nice gray color and i'm sure prevents rust....Dick
Old March 26, 2001, 12:44 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

I use a candle to smoke my molds, and haven't had a problem when I get a nice carbon stain on the aluminum. Holding a butane lighter or match can make your fingers a tad hot.
Old March 26, 2001, 03:23 PM   #6
Paul B.

Poodleshooter. A butane lighter with the flame adjusted at it's highest level will smoke a mold in 3 to 5 seconds. Haven't gotten burned yet. Works real good too.
Paul B.
Old March 26, 2001, 04:55 PM   #7
sundog

Want something to just make you cringe? I clean iron mould with brake cleaner and steel wool - get really aggressive. I won't have a mould that I have to fight. With blocks closed, I slip in a wad of 4 ought steel wool or green scotch brite , add some cleaner and start twisting. When I'm done, a good clean up with some more brake cleaner and then Midway Drop-Out on a q-tip. Also aggressively clean vent lines with a razor blade which sometimes creates new burrs. Aluminun moulds get a little less aggressively cleaned to avoid scratching and almost never with an abrasive. Done the smoke thing too, and it works good using a long nose butane grill lighter. Sometimes a really good rub with the right shaped piece of hard wood up and down the part lines helps too (I guess it gets some of those almost microscopic burrs). Dick is right about an all over spray before put away is a good rust prohibitor and makes for easy cleanup before next use since it's already what you're using for a release agent. I've not damamged a mould yet, even though I've tossed, sold, ann given away a few just because I didn't like their performance. sundog
Old March 26, 2001, 06:52 PM   #8
Poodleshooter

Quote:
Poodleshooter. A butane lighter with the flame adjusted at it's highest level will smoke a mold in 3 to 5 seconds. Haven't gotten burned yet. Works real good too.
Paul B.
Yeah, but can you rip off a chunk of your lighter and use it for flux?????

Old March 26, 2001, 06:56 PM   #9
Big Bunny

Good tips all
Old March 28, 2001, 05:03 PM   #10
Paul B.

Poodleshooter. I use marvelux, LETs. and a loaf of bread for fluxing. No joke. My wife had a couple of loaves of bread made from wax as decorators pieces. They got dropped and broke apart. One each lifetime supply of fluxing wax.
Let the smoke blow whichever way it wants.
Paul B.