The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
deepcore

Anybody own Smart Reloader manual powder charger?

Seems like Smart Reloader is expading its product line.
Their website says Italian designed and Chinese made (what isn't these days).

Been looking into a manual volume powder charger since Redding's Bench Rest charger is on sale at Midway this month. Checking around for options. Saw a couple of reviews on the Redding that says it's a great charger but "nothing that other cheaper chargers can do just as well". Interesting since I haven't seen a powder charger that claims it's NOT accurate to 1/10th of a grain.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:43 AM   #2
FrankenMauser

You have to keep in mind, that every review you read is coming from a different person.

Different people have different expectations, and different ideas of what tolerances are acceptable.

An old saying comes to mind: One man's trash, is another man's treasure.

There's a reason many people consider the Lyman 55 and/or Redding BR powder measures to be some of the best "low end" powder measures available,; and there's a reason many people consider the Lee Auto-Disk and Perfect Powder Measure to be perfectly adequate: They have different expectations, and use the devices for different purposes.

There is no "one size fits all".
Old July 31, 2011, 08:29 AM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
JUNK

What you can expect from SmartReloader is poor quality and performance , as it is all Chinese knockoffs ! They have coppied the products in way shape or form , of our loyal U.S. Manufacturers ! With the help of the people that purchase this junk , the reloading equipment industry will soon be dominated by cheap crap Chinese equipment ! When all the U.S. companys are gone , you won't be able to buy anything decent anymore ! I say , be a good American and boycott that junk , spend your hard earned money on American made goods ! Sure they cast a few bucks more but you are buying superior quality , and the job you save may be your own !
Old July 31, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoldsap
What you can expect from SmartReloader is poor quality and performance , as it is all Chinese knockoffs !
Oh, I don't know so much about that, old friend. I ordered one of their nano tumblers and it seems to be doing just fine. I use it for small batches when I don't want to haul the Dillon out from under the bench. It polishes brass just like the big American unit, for considerably less cost.

Quote:
When all the U.S. companys are gone , you won't be able to buy anything decent anymore ! I say , be a good American and boycott that junk , spend your hard earned money on American made goods ! Sure they cast a few bucks more but you are buying superior quality , and the job you save may be your own !
And just exactly which products are those? I bought a big ole vise the other day, it's marked Sears on the side. When I turned it over, Taiwan was stamped on the baseplate.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 31, 2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Jim243

Quote:
it's marked Sears on the side. When I turned it over, Taiwan was stamped on the baseplate.
Since when did Sears make any of it's own stuff, true they use to buy american products, but that's a long, long, long time ago. My dad would only buy Craftsman tools, they are just expensive junk now a days (no more life time warrenttes). Just be happy it did not say K-Mart on it. (LOL)

Now that I think about it, K-Mart carried Black & Decker and they have good quality control.

Jim
Old July 31, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I'm not sure what you're getting at, Jim... K-Mart quietly bought Sears about a decade ago.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Vance

And my hand tools that say Craftsman on them certainly do have a lifetime warranty on them. I can go to Sears right now and buy Craftsman hand tools that still have a lifetime warranty on them. It would be silly for them to get rid of the lifetime warranties. It only costs them a fraction of what they are charging for new tools to replace your broken one.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:44 PM   #8
closetgunnut

I just got 6, 50 rd SmartReloader flip top small rifle ammo boxes from Midsouth last week. They were $2.01 each. The same small rifle boxes from RCBS are $5.46.

The RCBS boxes are the "bend-up" type while the SmartReloader are hinged and are made very well. I'm sorry but I'll save $3.45 and get the better quality boxes even if they are made in China.

If you don't want to buy Chinese goods then you can't go to Wally world. I remember when Sam was still alive, "Made in America" was one of their main ideals. Not any more.

Closet

"There's no drug test for stupid."

Last edited by closetgunnut; July 31, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:56 PM   #9
zippy13

I just got 6, 50 rd SmartReloader flip top small rifle ammo boxes from Midsouth last week. They were $2.01 each.
Yesterday, I got Dillon's 50-round small rifle ammo boxes for $1.65 each.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:59 PM   #10
closetgunnut

Quote:
Yesterday, I got Dillon's 50-round small rifle ammo boxes for $1.65 each.
Really! Where did you get them? That's a great price!

"There's no drug test for stupid."
Old August 1, 2011, 09:13 PM   #11
NO3C4

Last edited by NO3C4; August 1, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old August 3, 2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Berry's MfG

Smart Reloader has copied products from US manufacturers, they copied our rotary media separator to the t. When I was in the offices at Midsouth they showed me where Smart Reloader had copied a Hornady press so well they even included the same casting flaw.