The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Cascade1911

Uniflow vs extruded powder?

Ok, reading various threads about powder measures and problems with extruded powders. So bottom line is the measure is going to crush a few extrusions. If the weights stay consistent does it matter?

To put it another way, my Uniflow just cuts some extrusions but if I use a consistent throw style (aggressive) the weights stay within .1 gr or less. Does the cutting of the extrusion cause a problem?
Old March 16, 2011, 05:03 PM   #2
wncchester

No measure will 'crush' kernals and cutting an occasional kernal isn't a problem; if it was the makers and others would warn us about it.
Old March 16, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3
serf 'rett

MHO - From an engineering perspective, every variation will cause a different outcome, but from the user end, I doubt you will see much difference with less than 0.1 grain variance (unless you happen to be exceeding max load on a high pressure round).
Old March 16, 2011, 05:20 PM   #4
serf 'rett

I can identify with the question, as I have some powders which are positively "crunchy" in my Uniflow.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've reloaded a couple hundred rounds of .30-06, .300 Savage, 6.5 Arisaka, and .243 with IMR-4064 and my RCBS Uniflow.

Some grains are cut. That's the nature of the beast. I've never found it to be an issue, however.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 16, 2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Tim R

I load 223, 308 and 30-06 for competition shooting. I use stick powders because it gives me good groups down range. The powders I use range from Varget to Reloder 15 to IMR'S 4895 and 4064. I start thing off by throwing a undercharge from my Uniflow and finish the charge with a Lyman DPS.

I have not suspected a problem with cut kernals in the many rounds I have loaded.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
grubbylabs

I also use my uniflow to meter out my stick powder but I have it set to just under what I want then I trickle in the rest. I have not noticed a difference between that and using Lee powder scoops and trickling in the rest.

Some day I hope to have an electric dispenser/scale combo, some day.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 17, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Cascade1911

serf 'rett: Same perspective from which I'm asking the question. I've developed techniques that allow me to throw a uniform charge with such crunchy powder (I've got a bunch of Lee stuff and love their value but I can't imagine throwing uniform charges of extruded powder through a plastic measure).
I haven't yet resorted to a trickler because it would be presumptuous of me to think my skills as a shooter would show any difference.
I guess my question was more of a philosophical nature than of real utility. I would think that extruded powders are cut to the length they are to control speed of burning but if each throw has a similar number of cut extrusions then you still have uniformity.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:48 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

IMR 4064 is the worst powder I use in my Uniflow. ...But I still use it. I have to cut granules on nearly every lever throw, but the charges stay consistent.

Shorter grain, and smaller diameter extruded powders are definitely easier to work with, when it comes to cutting granules.
Old March 18, 2011, 07:44 AM   #10
grubbylabs

Any one have any feed back on the SSC powders? I am thinking about getting some IMR 7828SSC for my 300 win.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)