The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
FishinggodBilly

158 gr jfp 357 gun show specials (mistake?)

Here is the deal. I have been reloading for less than a year and I went to the tanner gun show about a month ago and a gentleman was selling 158 gr Jacketed Flat points . I was excited about the price so I bought 3 hundred of them.

Here is where I screwed up... I didnt ask who made the bullets and I have no Idea how to get load data for them.

I have been loadin the hornandy 158 hollow points with 13 grains of 2400.

What is everyones advise? Im thinking I can cross reference and start at start loads.
Old September 9, 2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Sevens

Typically, you can use data for any other jacketed bullet of the same weight. Where things get a bit sticky is when you are dealing with some hollow point designs where so much lead is removed from the cavity that it's weight is made up by lengthening the bullet, which gives you less internal space with a similar COAL. We are talking about very small differences, so it's really only an issue if you are running max or over max loads.

Another more obvious way to look at it is that you would never use data for a 148 gr LRN and instead use full wadcutter bullets loaded flush. As you can visualize, there is substantially less room inside the case for the powder to burn and pressure rockets up quickly.

A prudent hand loader will not start with max, near max or over max loads when working with a brand new bullet he's never used before. (and substitute bullet in the equation for any of the components... primer, case, powder, you get the point)

When you don't have as specific bullet brand and style as listed in your data, start low and build it up looking for signs of pressure.

In a similar situation, if you have bullets of an oddball weight, use data for HEAVIER bullets and you should be safe. Never use data for a lighter bullet, that's a good way to get in to trouble.

So your new gun show find? Not a problem. Use any jacketed flat point 158 grain data (double and triple checked of course) and start well under max. I can't tell you offhand about the load you stated as I don't have any 2400 powder and I'm not familiar with powder charges of it. But do the right thing-- no matter what worked with other bullets, start low with these and work your way back to your "pet" load.
Old September 9, 2008, 11:35 AM   #3
AlaskaMike

I do 14.5 - 15.0 grains of 2400 with 158 grain Speer Gold Dots, and any of my cast SWC bullets. I would think you'd be perfectly safe with 13 grains.

Might be a good idea to mike their diameter and compare against other 158 grain bullets you've been using. If they're larger diameter, you could drop your starting load to 12.5 and work up from there.

Mike

Last edited by AlaskaMike; September 9, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old September 9, 2008, 04:37 PM   #4
SL1

Just at thought: Considering the price, are you sure they are JACKETED, not plated? If jacketed, there should be lead exposed on the flat point.

If they are jacketed, then 12 grain is a current starting load for 158 gr bullets with 2400. Current maxes range from 13.5 to 15.0, dependng on source and vintage of pressure tests.

If they at PLATED, then they will probably not perform well at max loads.

SL1
Old September 11, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
FishinggodBilly

Your right they might actually be plated. I appreciate all the help guys!!
Old September 12, 2008, 09:04 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

actual vs assumption

When I get bullets I weigh them and measure them.
Then I actually know.

When facing unknowns (such as your bullet maker) I start with low(er) charges and work up.

Safety first makes it so much more fun.
And safer.