The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 21, 2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Chipster

Simple Reloading For .270 Wby Mag?

Could I use a Lyman Spartan press to reload the .270 Wby Mag? I know where I can get one cheap.

Can I come close to 'duplicating' the factory load? That way I could practice with cheap ammo and use the guaranteed ammo with Barnes X bullets for the hunt.

Could I develop a charge cup holding the right amount of powder for one cartridge? Seems like this would be quicker than weighing each cartridge's powder charge.
Old July 22, 2002, 03:08 PM   #2
sricciardelli

Go ahead...buy the cheatest you can find...use all the shortcuts you can lay your hand on...

It's your gun and your fingers and eyes...
Old July 22, 2002, 04:32 PM   #3
jjmorgan64

Chipster, Any press that is solid will work for you, that shouldn't be an issue, as long as you have some dies, and enough clearance in the press for the brass.

You can work to duplicate factory loads, you will not get them exactly, but with some effort you can get close enough. Always rezero your scope in with your hunting load, however before you use it.

You cannot dump rifle rounds from a scoop into the cartridge and expect any sort of consistancy, with very low level loads you will be inconsistant and innacurate, with high end loads you will be inconsistant, innacurate and very dangerous.

You can make a scoop, to dump close charges onto the scale and a spoon, or a trickler to slowly raise the charge up to what is desired. ALWAYS WEIGH YOUR RIFLE ROUNDS, unless you don't like yourself or your rifle.

Also, very important, do not rely on me or this board, Go out and purchase at least 2 reloading manuals, and read them completely, you will be amazed at the amount of information you learn reading these.

JM
Old July 24, 2002, 06:39 PM   #4
Chipster

Thanks for the advice...

By 'cheap' in reference to the Lyman Spartan I only meant the price was right...from a friend. I was more curious if the Spartan could handle the length of this cartridge.

Thanks for illuminating the inconsistency of volume-based charging.

I'm off to the online booksellers for reloading manuals.