The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 18, 2008, 01:53 AM   #1
seqhunter

sks receiver top/scope mount question

I have an sks w/ spike bayonet. Found a scope mounting system that included a replacement receiver top with picatinny rail. The problem is that it doesn't quite fit perfectly onto the receiver, it's about 1mm too long and won't allow the locking pin to slide into place! Has anyone else run into this problem and what do you suggest to do, ie. file it down myself, bring it to a gunsmith, etc? Does this have to do with the model of sks I own or is it just a part issue? Thanks.
Old May 18, 2008, 03:57 AM   #2
Engloid

If I understand your problem correctly, the threaded part (bolt like piect) that holds the rings to the rail won't fit on because they won't slide through without hitting the rail.

What I did is I put the receiver (with rail) on a mill and milled out some recessed areas going across where these pieces needed to go through. It took about 30 minutes to do it all.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:36 AM   #3
DnPRK

They are probably made long due to variations in SKS receiver dimensions. You'll have to file down the front edge to get a snug fit.

I haven't had any long term success with any of the replacement cover style scope mounts. They either become loose causing loss of zero or you lose zero when you field strip for cleaning.

The best scope mount for the SKS is made by Choate Machine. It is a steel mount that screws to the left side of the receiver. SKS scope mount
Old May 18, 2008, 05:38 AM   #4
blume357

The one I picked up years ago came that way and the instructions

said you had to file it down to fit. Of course I filed a little too much and it tended to have a slight wiggle to it. You can do it yourself or have a gun smith do it.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5
10-96

Yes, many of them are left long in regards to differences found between makes of rifles. Notice the points and angles that cause the cover to lock- be sure to lock in- don't file these off. You can, with a good set of small files, create a superb tight fit that won't cause any wobble. Another area of problem I came across while fitting a cover for one of my friends was that the milling in the inside/rear of the cover caused the bolt to lock very tightly to the rear. I cleaned up what I could in the cover with a long shanked dremmel tool bit and then ended up having to "slightly" change the contour of the very back of the bolt carrier so it wouldn't bottom itself out and jam.

File slowly and check for fit often. Too much wobble will make your scoped SKS (which isn't known for top accuracy anyways) pattern more like a scattergun ruther than a rifle.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:01 PM   #6
seqhunter

That's very helpful. Thanks for the info, it seems that the parts aren't machined to very tight specifications (or the sks isn't).
Old May 18, 2008, 01:19 PM   #7
10-96

Nope, they weren't machined to just real tight specs. Considereing they were designed to be given to a conscripted soldier who was a tater or rice farmer the day before- they were designed to work under very harsh and unclean conditions. The tighter the specs and fit- the more they were succeptable to failure. They're great little rifles and are often called the poor man's .30-30. I'm not sure who coined that term, but it must have something to do with the amount of game put up on tables around the country. It won't win you any matches- but it can keep ya from going hungry. Just stay away from that confounded Greek Olympic brand ammo.

I'm going to use the words "clip" and "Long Colt" every chance I get. It grinds my gears to see new members attacked when we all know dang good and well what's being refered to.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:37 PM   #8
chris in va

I made the mistake of buying that same exact cover. It didn't quite line up with the takedown pin. I had to dremel a little more space for it to fit...then realized what a POS it was and threw it in the closet.

You're much better off with TechSights.
Old May 19, 2008, 12:31 AM   #9
seqhunter

I used an 8" medium-coarse metal file and filed down the fronts ends of the replacement receiver cover, keeping the same angle that was present on the original piece and frequently reinstalling and checking for a good fit. After about 1.5 hours of careful filing and checking, I was able to get the locking pin to close. It seems like a pretty solid fit, no wobble. We'll see if it serves as a good scope mount, hopefully it will hold zero. At least the money I spent on the part wasn't a complete waste, I was about to throw it into the trash! Thanks to everyone for your insight.
Old May 19, 2008, 01:28 AM   #10
Yithian

Something you might think about for a future purchase...
http://scoutscopes.com/index.html

... As long as you don't mind a "scout" set-up, seems like a dandy option.
And it stays in centerline with the bore.
Old May 19, 2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm selling this mount & scope, that I'm taking off my SKS ( I'm simplifying my rifle, & removing lots of the techy stuff & installing a non folding stock, & a set of Tech Sights iron sights, etc on my gun)

I've had pretty good luck with my see thru B Square no drill mount, & this little Simmons scope... ( I tried one of the cheap Chinese scopes, & tossed that out long ago... this little Simmons SKS scope is of much better quality )

the only mod needed for this mount, was to grind a little of the plastic folding stock away, so that the mount would clear the stock... metal to metal fit was very good

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Guns 094.jpg (54.8 KB, 1675 views)
File Type: jpg Guns 095.jpg (42.5 KB, 2092 views)
Old May 19, 2008, 12:01 PM   #12
HJ857

Another thing to do that helps secure the receiver cover a lot is to replace the latch pin with a bolt and nut. You have to cut the retaining pin off the latch, but it makes a big difference.

I'm really against the Choate side mount, it forces you to drill holes in the side of the receiver, and that's a permanent modification which in my book, sucks a lot.