The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 10, 2010, 01:18 PM   #1
E.J.White

J.H.Merril Balto

I have a J.H.Merrill Looking for Info and value.gun is in good condition overall
markings on top say J.H.Merrill Balto Pat.July 1856.The number 2550 is on top of loading mechanism.Brass buttstock plate, brass trigger guard, also brass ring around fore grip.left side has a saddle ring stock looks to be walnut normal dings with no cracks will post pics Im waiting for my camera battery to charge any info would be appreciated Thank you.
Old March 10, 2010, 02:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a Merrill carbine, a type that saw considerable use in the Civil War by the Union cavalry. The barrel should be 22 1/8 inches long. The caliber is .54 and they use a combustible paper cartridge, loaded by pulling the breech lever up and back. The first type has brass furniture, including a brass "patchbox", presumably used for percussion caps. The second type has iron furniture, no patch box, and an eagle on the lockplate. Some 14,495 were made and issued.

There was also a Merrill rifle, but only about 800 were made and of course they didn't have the saddle ring.

Value as always depends on condition, but a really nice one would retail at over $3000. A plus would be a nice stock with inspector's markings.

Jim
Old March 10, 2010, 03:21 PM   #3
E.J.White

Thank you Jim.I guess I have the first one all the furniture is brass including the patchbox.you are right on the money I just measured the barrel.Would you have any Idea where I could sell this gun? I dont need top dollar just a fair price.
Old March 10, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4
E.J.White

Also where on the stock would I find inspector markings?
Old May 23, 2019, 04:58 PM   #5
ewmail15

E.J., I'm 1 day new to this site. If you still have your Merrill, and didn't find much worth reading in all the books out there like I didn't, please check out my website: https://jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com. I'm hoping anyone else here who has a Merrill will contact me with new Merrill carbine or rifle or conversion photos and serial numbers and history for my site. Thanks, Eric.