The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 22, 2017, 09:06 AM   #1
simonrichter

Smooth bore shotgun-to-pistol-caliber inserts

E.g. gunadapters.com offers a vast variety of inserts converting shotguns to fire pistol or revolver calibers. I just wondered why they also have smooth bore models - wouldn't that be a.) illegal in the US and b.) useless because the bullet is not stabilized? They DO sell rifled models as well, so I reckon there must be some good reason for offering a smooth bore option?
Old December 22, 2017, 11:43 AM   #2
kraigwy

Not into adapters but barrel liners. I've relined several 22 barrels.

Brownell sells liners for pistols and I've been thinking about relining a single shot 410 to make a 45 LC rifle. Problem is Brownells liners are 14" max (the last time I checked) I would like to make this one 20-24 inches.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 22, 2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The smooth-bore adapters are generally for smaller gauge shotshells.
The only guns requiring rifling in the US are pistols.
Old December 22, 2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Scorch

Pistol caliber adapters are very common, more so in Europe than in the USA. In many European countries, you are limite as to how many firearms you can own, and a sub-caliber adapter allows hunters to take small game with rifle or pistol ammo out of their shotguns.

Shotgun sub-gauge adapters are very common among trap shooters who have a high-dollar gun but want to shoot different gauges for competition (typically 20 gauge in a 12 gauge gun). Many Merkel, Perazzi, and Krieghoff shotguns are sold as a set with sub-gauge adapters because another barrel set in a smaller gauge would be too heavy and cost prohibitive.

As far as legality, in the USA there are laws prohibiting smooth-bore handguns, but none about shooting pistol or rifle ammo in smooth-bore barrels.
Old December 22, 2017, 07:09 PM   #5
TruthTellers

An unstabalized bullet being shot at 7 or 10 yards will still regularly hit a man size torso and with a big .44 or .45 bullet tumbling at the moment it impacts flesh to where it stops will do a lot of damage.

I remember seeing a video of Barry from IraqVeteran on youtube when he was still alive. They were testing shooting .454 Casull from a .410 shotgun with a full choke and it hit the paper sideways and Barry commented, "That'd nearly cut a man half in two."

The smoothbore adapters Shortlane sells, their draw is they're cheap, small, and you can get a bunch of them in all major pistol calibers.

If I were to spend money on something like that, I'd prefer it be rifled and you can get rifled adapters much cheaper.

https://grabagun.com/chiappa-firearm...-set-of-8.html

That's a set of 8 inserts that are 8 inches in length, rifled, for just over $200. You can buy them individually for $40.