The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2014, 12:23 AM   #1
militarygamer

Glock model gun magizines be fitted on the real thing?

Hawsan makes really real Glock replica cap guns
Can their magizines be fitted on the real Glock?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21312066255733_623.jpg (89.5 KB, 109 views)
Old April 30, 2014, 12:29 AM   #2
militarygamer

The purpose of this question is not for any illegal means, because if it can then Glock owners could cut cost and buy a replica magazine for about half the price.
Old April 30, 2014, 12:58 AM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Trying to use toy magazines in a real pistol is generally considered quite foolish.
Denis
Old April 30, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4
Theohazard

I'm with Denis. Even if they do work (and I highly doubt they do), why would you want to use them? Factory Glock mags are high-quality, very durable, very reliable, and only cost about $25 - $30.

Glock owners who want to cut cost just buy the Korean mags. Those are about half the price of the factory ones (or less) and they're fairly good. And more importantly, they're real mags designed to be used with real guns.
Old April 30, 2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Jay24bal

I'm all for saving money when possible, but is not something I would entertain (even if it did theoretically work).

Factory Glock mags are not that expensive to begin with.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old May 1, 2014, 12:49 AM   #6
DPris
Member Emeritus

No toy mag is built to withstand the stresses & feeding requirements of a real pistol.
Denis
Old May 1, 2014, 01:04 AM   #7
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris
No toy mag is built to withstand the stresses & feeding requirements of a real pistol.
Yep, and since a semi-auto is only as reliable as its magazine, there's absolutely no point in spending the money to buy a Glock and then using toy magazines. You'd probably get the same level of reliability if you bought a Jimenez/Jennings/Bryco instead, and you'd save a ton of money.
Old May 1, 2014, 01:47 AM   #8
Sabrewolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard
You'd probably get the same level of reliability if you bought a Jimenez/Jennings/Bryco instead, and you'd save a ton of money.
The same reliability? I'll take a Jennings .25 acp SNS over any caliber Glock with a toy mag any time, anywhere, and KNOW I've got a more reliable weapon. They were cheap, but they were never THAT bad.

Seriously, even for range use only, a mag from a toy is a horrible idea. If you can't afford real mags, just take the extra time and reload the ones you have as needed.
Old May 1, 2014, 02:22 AM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewolfe
The same reliability? I'll take a Jennings .25 acp SNS over any caliber Glock with a toy mag any time, anywhere, and KNOW I've got a more reliable weapon. They were cheap, but they were never THAT bad.
Ha ha, very good point! I suppose I understated it a bit: I'm actually pretty sure a Jennings would be more reliable. And my post assumed that a toy mag would even work at all in a Glock. And I don't think it will.
Old May 1, 2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Sharkbite

Hahaha

I bought a Sedco 22 (jennings copy) back in the day. Paid $10 for it. I was working at a gunshop during my college days and we found this this behind a bunch of other boxes. I told the boss id buy it for 10 bucks and he said yes

Cost me more to register the gun in Cali ($14) then to buy the gun

You know what... Its NEVER failed. Zero malfunctions. Ive only got about 500 rounds thru it, but it WORKS. I know Berretta's and Sig's with a worse record
Old May 1, 2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

My guess is that the spring on one of these toy magazines wouldn't be strong enough to either lift the cartridges, or if it would, it wouldn't be able to lift them quickly enough, and you'd have lots of jams.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 1, 2014, 03:48 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

Part of the feeding requirements I mentioned.
Spring in a toy mag doesn't have to be strong enough to do anything more than lift a toy bullet up into a toy chamber on hand cycling.

No real-life slide cycle stresses, slower cycling & totally different spring requirements.
Follower not designed to act as a slide-lock through the cycling of a real pistol hundreds and hundreds of times during live fire.
Mag body wouldn't be constructed of strong enough materials to hold up, either.

Very simply- no part of a toy mag is built to handle use in a real pistol, even it you could get one to lock in.
Denis
Old May 3, 2014, 11:42 PM   #13
Gbnk82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrewolfe
Lol I don't know I think I'd take a single shot glock over any 25..besides I want to stop somebody not **** them off more...lol
Old May 4, 2014, 12:21 AM   #14
Sabrewolfe

$520 zip gun vs 7 rounds of .25acp... I'll take my 7 tries. It may be underpowered, but it is still a bullet, not a paintball. If the bad guy is so cranked up 7 rounds of .25 merely makes him mad, one round from a Glock, even a .45 or 10mm, isn't going to do any better. And I like the odds for a head shot better with 7 rounds vs just 1.
Old May 4, 2014, 06:41 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

Ok - well discussed and silly to start. Closed.