The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 8, 2018, 11:28 PM   #1
3Crows

my Savage "Scout"

I did not buy this rifle for it's scout attributes. I needed/wanted a slim, sleek, SHORT and reasonably light rifle that could handle multiple duties both with a scope and also with irons. I wanted a scope I could remove and use the iron sights. This was important to me for brush use for pigs in Louisiana but I also wanted to use the rifle for 300 yards on white tail over a cut field here in Kansas.

I set the scope up on a cantilever AR Vortex type mount and use a torque driver to set torque repeatable and accurate. This allows me to quickly remove or re-install the scope without appreciable loss of zero. Yes, the torque driver is small and light and can go with me on an outing, should I not know in advance if I will favor scope or irons.

So here it is, I am sure I will be told the scope is too high, oh well, that is what the adjustable comb is for. And so far, with 20 rounds through it, with or without the scope, I am well zeroed at 100 yards solid. I plan to keep my irons at 100 yards zero and now move the scope zero out to 200 yards zero. The scope is a Nikon 3X9X40. I may grab a 50mm objective scope when I get some spare cash.

I also plan to acquire a flush magazine or two and a spare 10 rounder should I need to engage in urban combat with alien zombies after the fall of civilization, highly unlikely but just in case.

3C
Old January 9, 2018, 03:50 AM   #2
bamaranger

happy

If you are happy with your new rig, then I suppose all's well and good. Since you posted pics and your commentary, you should expect some comments in reply, here's mine.

I'm right there with you on slim, sleek, short and reasonably light. All my favorite rifle these days are pretty much falling into that category. A 20" barreled .308 will have all the punch and reach I need for most of what I do with a rifle, and I've got several other portable numbers, in lighter calibers, about which I could say the same.

I like Savage rifles, but I am not a fan of their latest rendition of the Scout. Their muzzle device and adjustable comb adds length and weight and or bulk, issues your were hoping to address with your purchas. Plus I am figuring that Savage device will be LOUD, and a 20" .308 makes a racket anyhow without a brake. I feel the factory brake was just for looks. If it were mine ( and I realize it is not) I would have that device off there and a thread protector on ASAP. I have muzzle devices on some of my rifles, but not on any I am trying to keep portable.

I'm a bit confused as to why one would buy a rifle with an intermediate rail, than use a cantilever rail, attached to the intermediate rail, to bring the scope to the rear in a more conventional arrangement? Further, I am not sure that torquing the cantilever rail system in place will assure a reasonable return to zero if removed. Seems like duplicity and bulk that can be avoided.

I'm going to make some suggestions to your rig, that will allow you to retain the features you want, and avoid the duplicity and bulk of the dual rail, and shorten and lighten the rifle.

-remove the factory intermediate rail (since our not using it as intended anyhow) and the rear peep sight. In their place attach a rail that utilizes the mounting holes for the peep, and the mounting holes on the receiver ring for conventional scope rails. Their are several makes of such a rails.

-nix the cantilever mount, and locate utilize a set of Leupold quick detach lever mounts on your Nikon. These will attach the scope directly to your new receiver mounted rail. Removal can be with/without tools. My experience with them is that the Nikon will return to a useable zero with about 1 MOA variance.

-now arrange for a rear iron sight. You could try a Savage factory Hog rifle rear blade, which I'm thinking will use the holes for the factory intermediate rail up forward on the barrel. If that is a no go, there are folks who make a low profile peep that will attach directly to your new receiver rail. XS is an option here. The trick will be finding a rear iron sight that will work with the Savage scout winged blade, which seems the only option on that rifle up front. You may have to experiment with rear peep heighth to get a working POI . You may have to experiment with scope ring height to allow for the peep. Mount the peep rearward of the ocular bell on the scope.

-if the new rear peep/rail and rings work out, you may be able to nix the adjustable comb, and I'd nix the brake as discussed previous regardless

All that will allow you to retain irons, the box mag you deem necessary, and eliminate the twin rails for one scope, the muzzle brake and (hopefully) comb, which simply add weight and bulk. Or you can simply disregard and use as is.......it's your anyhow.
Old January 9, 2018, 03:57 AM   #3
bamaranger

or.......

Once you tire of the "Scout",.... if you can live without a box mag......trade the scout for a Savage Hog rifle. Equipped with conventional blade and bead irons, and drilled and tapped for conventional scope mounts, ( I think they come with bases too) you can add the Nikon with QD lever rings and your sighting issues are solved. The Hog has a threaded muzzle with protector, if you must have a device, you can add one, otherwise the barrel is a tidy 20" from the box. You will have no need for a comb gadget as the scope will mount low enough for not needing same, and if the scope is removed the irons are visible with the standard scout as well.
Old January 9, 2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Lohman446

Quote:
I did not buy this rifle for it's scout attributes. I needed/wanted a slim, sleek, SHORT and reasonably light rifle that could handle multiple duties both with a scope and also with irons
Maybe I don't know what "scout" refers to in a rifle unless we are discussing the long eye relief scope alone but aren't the attributes you were seeking the major attributes of a "scout" rifle?
Old January 9, 2018, 08:33 AM   #5
PlatinumCore16

While I also have a Savage scout, I will say that I am slightly puzzled by your selection. If you wanted a lightweight, irons, 308, the hog hunter definitely seems to be the better option. First off, it's cheaper. Secondly, there have been many comparisons done with "conventionally" mounted scopes vs. forward mounted scopes and there isn't an appreciable gain of "swingability" or ease of aim from the forward mount. Really it's just a preference of one to want to follow the teachings/writings/ramblings of Col. Jeff Cooper. Or if you're still using a lever that ejects out the top.

I do hope you are happy with your rifle, mine has been phenominal, minus the scope coming loose either at the rail or the rings. Not sure which yet, haven't had time to fix it. It certainly is accurate and I like the rifle for all of its features, but it just seems that your selection criteria is slightly off from what rifle was selected.

A third option could have also been the MVP Patrol. Iron sights, 308, bolt action, mag fed (and standard AICs mags, I will add), and rail over the action. Not that I would ever willingly recommend away from Savage, but your general criteria seems to fit a Patrol a little better than a Scout.
Old January 9, 2018, 09:40 AM   #6
agtman

Quote:
I also plan to acquire a flush magazine or two and a spare 10 rounder* * *
Okay, firstly, just curious on the mags. Which makes of mags fit these .308 Savage Scouts? Magpul's (SR-25) 7.62/.308 mags? ... AI-type mags? ... Or, are these proprietary, factory-only mags?

Quote:
I did not buy this rifle for it's scout attributes. I needed/wanted a slim, sleek, SHORT and reasonably light rifle that could handle multiple duties both with a scope and also with irons. * * *
I guess not.

You took a reasonably sleek and light, 18" short rifle and instantly made it heavier and more awkward by hanging waay too much scope on it and, worse, by placing said optic in a semi-over-the-receiver position.

That defeats the purpose of Savage's rather light-weight forward rail mount, which is meant to hold a light-weight LER scope of fixed low-power (3x to 4x, at the most).

It's that type of set-up that prevents the alleged "muzzle heavy" droopiness that plagues so many faux-"Scout" clones, i.e., too heavy of a rail mount, that's positioned too far forward on the barrel, on which the user is running waaay too weighty of an optic, typically a variable, that's better suited for small-bullseye target work rather than the practical "in-the-field" use of a Scout Scope.
Old January 9, 2018, 10:09 AM   #7
GeauxTide

Quote:
-remove the factory intermediate rail (since our not using it as intended anyhow) and the rear peep sight. In their place attach a rail that utilizes the mounting holes for the peep, and the mounting holes on the receiver ring for conventional scope rails. Their are several makes of such a rails.

-nix the cantilever mount, and locate utilize a set of Leupold quick detach lever mounts on your Nikon. These will attach the scope directly to your new receiver mounted rail. Removal can be with/without tools. My experience with them is that the Nikon will return to a useable zero with about 1 MOA variance.
Bamaranger is right on. I use Vortex portable rings and they come back to zero on the receiver rail.
Old January 9, 2018, 06:42 PM   #8
jmr40

The scope mounted conventionally is a better scout rifle than forward mounted. Cooper only wanted forward mounting to be able to use stripper clips for fast reloads. With a DBM there is no purpose for it and if Cooper were alive today I'm certain he would tweak his specs. It does everything better. But take the above advice, simply use regular mounts.

Buying a 50mm objective scope is a waste of money and actually a move in the wrong direction. I'd put a compact 1-4X20 on there mounted conventionally and forget about the irons. Nothing bigger than a 2-7X32. On 1X they are faster to use than dots or irons and every bit as fast as scout scopes. On 4X mounted conventionally you have enough magnification for at least 300-400 yard shots.

Winston Churchill
Old January 9, 2018, 07:32 PM   #9
agtman

Quote:
The scope mounted conventionally is a better scout rifle than forward mounted. Cooper only wanted forward mounting to be able to use stripper clips for fast reloads. * * *
Actually, a forward-mounted compact LER scope, say, 3x power, is all you need to hit huntable critters the size of deer or hogs, or an enemy soldier (man-size target) out to 300-yds. That was Cooper's maximum envisioned usage for his Scout rifle. Yes, the convenience of being able to use .308/7.62 stripper clips to fast-load a Mauser-style/blind magazine action was part of it, but the traditional receiver-mounted "hunting" scope isn't "better" if you understand the limited applications that his Scout rifle was intended for.

Quote:
With a DBM there is no purpose for it and if Cooper were alive today I'm certain he would tweak his specs. It does everything better. But take the above advice, simply use regular mounts.
Yes and no.

With regard to autoloaders, which in terms of being a possible base for a 'Scout rifle,' those were only just on the horizon when Cooper began to fade from the scene. For example, take S.A.'s M1A "Scout." You certainly can use 7.62 stripper clips even with the magazine in place.

In my case, taking the semi-auto Scout concept further, I had Shuff build me a 16" 7.62 Mini-G 'Scout' off a doner M1 Garand action. The problem was there really aren't any light-weight options in forward-rail mounts for M1s. We used Ultimak's forward rail, which is a solid piece of kit, but not terribly light, although it makes loading 5- or 8-rd en bloc clips fast and easy. With the fairly light Burris 2.75x Scout optic attached, I can bang 8" steel plates at 300yds all day, every day.

The real trade-off will always be weight. Unlike the bolt-action Scouts, semi-auto Scouts rarely make Cooper's weight specs; however, in return you're getting the auto's faster-firing and fast-to-reload capability, although that last is somewhat negated by those bolt Scouts that run DBMs.
Old January 9, 2018, 08:36 PM   #10
3Crows

Gosh thanks for the mostly negative input.

The Savage Hog, let's begin there, why not, because:

1) Inferior forward placed notched sight
2) Heavier taper barrel
3) Longer 20 inch barrel
4) Smaller bolt handle
5) No Accustock bedding
6) Cheek rest comb not adjustable
7) Only one forward sling stud
8) Internal box magazine
9) No removable muzzle brake

"Scout" was not my intention, I needed a single multi-purpose rifle. I will use open sights 50% of the time for walk up hunting in brush for hogs or deer. The remainder of time it will be used for longer range deer hunting over crop fields or stand with ranges out to 400 yards but mostly under 300 yards.

It takes me one minute to remove the scope, about three to install and torque. It holds zero. I hardly doubt that a 3X9X40 scope is overkill for 300 yard plus shots. And the rifle is plenty accurate and then some to accomplish just that. And the supplied Williams brand peep/ghost sight is perfect for my older eyes for quick target acquisition at short range brush walking hunting.

I like the forward rail because it allows me to keep mounted and sighted the peep/ghost sight installed at all times.

The magazine for the fellow who asked, I have two ten rounder, they are proprietary magazines. I plan to grab a flush magazine as well. If I need more magazines then I am apparently going into combat and I will just take my black rifle in such case.

If I fly, I need only carry and check one weapon, enough hassle at that. The case I use has a place for a few tools and cleaning supplies and the de-mounted scope.

I got the rifle for under $600 with some good fortune, unusual for me.

There is a new 110 series, interesting. Never can stay ahead of the curve.

If I could really find a picatinny rail mounted peep/ghost sight then I would remove the forward rail and use a over receiver rail as suggested. The scope would have to still be high to allow the ocular to be in correct position for normal eye relief scopes. If there is a link for one please provide it, thanks.

Seriously though, thanks for all the thoughts, always appreciated.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; January 9, 2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old January 10, 2018, 02:14 PM   #11
Mr. Hill

I like it. That’s a nice rifle; moreover, it’s set up the way you want it, and that’s good enough for me. You like the scope and mount system? Cool, looks like it works to me.
Old January 11, 2018, 02:21 AM   #12
bamaranger

Cooper, stripper clips, and the scout rifle

Cooper did mention that the forward mounted, intermediate eye relief IER scout scope would allow for stripper clip loading of a rifle. Seems I may have seen pics of a scout rifle Cooper had in his battery that was based on '03 Springfield action, and if so, that rifle likely had a stripper guide. But that was not the only advantage of an IER according to Cooper.

Cooper maintained there were other advantages of the IER scope. Seems the most prominent was that the IER scope allowed faster, two eyed aiming at close snap targets. Cooper claims to have proven that with range work and jungle alley type shoots at his facility. Cooper also stated in print that the IER scope allowed traditional one handed trail carry of the rifle at the receiver ring and so the IER promoted handiness as well.

I have never examined any of the Cooper Scouts from his personal battery. But I suspect that the Cooper scout based on the Rem 600 action would not have had a stripper guide. Too, I believe the Steyer Scout, developed in close contact with Cooper, does not have stripper guides either.

The IER scope could allow for stripper loading, but it was not the primary nor sole purpose of the scoutscope.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:47 AM   #13
agtman

Quote:
Cooper maintained there were other advantages of the IER scope. Seems the most prominent was that the IER scope allowed faster, two eyed aiming at close snap targets. Cooper claims to have proven that with range work and jungle alley type shoots at his facility. Cooper also stated in print that the IER scope allowed traditional one handed trail carry of the rifle at the receiver ring and so the IER promoted handiness as well.
Yes, regarding Cooper's thoughts on the low-power IER scope, that's all correct.

Quote:
I have never examined any of the Cooper Scouts from his personal battery. But I suspect that the Cooper scout based on the Rem 600 action would not have had a stripper guide. Too, I believe the Steyer Scout, developed in close contact with Cooper, does not have stripper guides either.
Actually, I once saw a picture of what I believe were most of Cooper's various Scout-rifle iterations. They were laid out on the floor for the photo shoot. What they revealed, when collectively viewed, was that Cooper's theory on what features a Scout rifle should have actually evolved over time. He was, however, always pretty adamant about the weight of a proper Scout - keeping it to that 6- or 7-lb limit, or whatever it was.

Among them was the one he built for Africa, "Baby," I believe he called it. If I've got the right one in mind (don't have that pic), it was built off an old BRNO 601 or 602 (Magnum) action, an early one that still retained the pop-up "peep sight" in the rear receiver bridge. The BRNOs, however, were not stripper-clip fed actions. I'm not positive on the cartridge, but I think Baby was chambered for some odd ball called the "460 G&A," which of course garnered Cooper ample coverage of his subsequent safari in the magazine after which the round was named.

Cooper's other Scouts, as I remember them, were built mostly on Mauser actions which then could be reloaded with stripper clips. But you're correct there were some Scouts that were not, like the Remmy 600.

And no question, the ease and convenience of DBMs, provided they're reliable, basically moots the need for clips.
Old January 11, 2018, 09:08 AM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
the ease and convenience of DBMs, provided they're reliable, basically moots the need for clips.
One more thing to lose or break, IME..... and a blind magazine in conjunction with stripper clips makes for a lighter and handier set-up than a gun with a big DBM hanging out the bottom at the the point of balance. When Cooper was building Scouts, it was harder to get weight down and still have a decently stocked rifle .... improvements in synthetic stocks have been made ....

Personally, I don't have a need for either DBM nor stripper clips ....
Old January 11, 2018, 09:46 AM   #15
PlatinumCore16

I will agree with you that if you were looking for a rifle that had great irons, you got it. I very much enjoy the irons on this rifle and I am pretty consistent and confident at 100yds with them. 200yds, I start to spread out a bit. Even a friend of mine, who hunts, but had never shot my rifle, was getting great groups. Albeit, he had to aim 3 inches down and left, but he was also a lefty and I am a righty. As far as features and the rifle are concerned, I think it's a fantastic rifle, so I cannot fault you there. I saw that they just released a new, modular, stock, and the "scout" version has this AR looking magazine. Looks awful, personally.

To your request for a rail with peep, the Ruger GSR has the forward mounted rail as well, with standard mounting blocks around the action. However, there is a company that makes a rail with an integrated peep. I don't think you can move the peep, though I don't own either the gun or the rail, so I'm not much help. I would look into that and see if that could be made to fit on the Savage. Note: I intended to post a link to said rail, but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Anyways, if you like your setup, who am I to tell you that you're wrong? Best of luck with it.
Old January 11, 2018, 10:10 AM   #16
GeauxTide

Quote:
Gosh thanks for the mostly negative input.
I apologize if I came off negative. It's been SOP on this site to throw ideas and experience out. I have a Savage 16 and love it. My choice for a Scout type is the Rem VTR with Magpul Hunter stock and lower. Can use 5 or 10 round mags.
Old January 11, 2018, 03:07 PM   #17
agtman

Quote:
To your request for a rail with peep, the Ruger GSR has the forward mounted rail as well, with standard mounting blocks around the action.* * *
The problem with Ruger's GSR is it's gawd-awful heavy as set-up in the laminated stock, and the early ones had feeding and/or ejection issues under hard use. Possibly it was the magazines. Here's a 2014 AAR:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/training...ass/19-233966/

Ruger's rather slender Frontier rifle, with a forward rail-mount, weighed in at 6.75lbs. If they'd just added a front sight and rear peep, and then dropped it into a decent synthetic stock, it would've made weight even with a LER scope.

Not sure if Ruger discontinued the Frontier model or not, but here's a link to Bud's (showing presently out of stock):

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/..._308_laminated

Last edited by agtman; January 11, 2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old January 11, 2018, 08:14 PM   #18
3Crows

I was teasing about the negative remarks, I said so too in the post. I seriously thank you for your thoughts.

About the weight, the Savage 11 is a little fat, if being a true Scout Rifle were my concern, but, I could remove the muzzle brake and install a threaded cover, the flush magazazine and adjustable comb and I would then have a rifle that squeaks under Cooper's weight limit and would still be an 18 inch barrel. I would not want to go below 18 inches for a .308. Just my opinion. Even at 18 inches that is a compromise that took hard thought. The 16ish barrels, no thank for that.

Anyways, if there is a link to a over receiver sight I would be interested.

I have a 1X4 African Monarch (Nikon), an extra lying about. Not sure it is much lighter than the 3X9.
Old January 12, 2018, 02:54 AM   #19
PlatinumCore16

Yup, I'm with you on the 18" barrel. But extreme accuracy comes down to tailoring your own loads. I bought an MVP LC off one of my friends, mostly for the chassis, but I'm thinking with the right hand loads, I might be able to reach out to 1000yds. I also happen to live at 7000ft, so that also helps.

I'm on phone, so I'll attempt to find you that rail tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old January 12, 2018, 08:48 AM   #20
agtman

Quote:
I have a 1X4 African Monarch (Nikon), an extra lying about. Not sure it is much lighter than the 3X9.
Don't know how it compares weight-wise to the 3x9, but I have that Monarch scope on a .375H&H. It's an excellent (receiver-mounted) short-range scope for shots on big game.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:51 AM   #21
agtman

Quote:
* * * I bought an MVP LC off one of my friends, mostly for the chassis, but I'm thinking with the right hand loads, I might be able to reach out to 1000yds.
Which was never the criteria for a Scout rifle.

Last edited by agtman; January 12, 2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:14 AM   #22
jimbob86

Quote:
Ruger's rather slender Frontier rifle, with a forward rail-mount, weighed in at 6.75lbs. If they'd just added a front sight and rear peep, and then dropped it into a decent synthetic stock, it would've made weight even with a LER scope.
I've got a Frontier, and like it as is ..... my kids LOVE it. Were it any lighter, recoil would be worse..... that hefty synthetic stock is just right, in my book: the gun is solid feeling, light, handy, and fun to shoot, even for extended periods.....
Old January 14, 2018, 07:29 PM   #23
3Crows

I got my 4 round magazine, out of the package that is, and installed it today. Changes the appearance and feel of the rifle big time, much sleeker.

Anyways, fooling around with the rifle and from my window I could see a large coyote on my back property and appeared to have a gimp rear leg. Broad daylight and open field. I sneaked around to the side of my dry pond and I had the .308 Savage Scout lined up on him at about 75 yards. An easy shot. I could see that his leg was all there and probably would get well, or at least return some function in time. So, I passed. Had it been a deer and I had the tag and season, I would have taken him or a pig or an armadillo , but I passed on the 'yote. Sorry. I thought my Savage was about to draw it's first blood. There will be another day.

3C

Last edited by 3Crows; January 14, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:33 AM   #24
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Which was never the criteria for a Scout rifle.
Right, that statement was in reference to the MVP LC. Not on topic.
Old January 21, 2018, 02:53 PM   #25
ThomasT

Quote:
Not sure if Ruger discontinued the Frontier model or not, but here's a link to Bud's (showing presently out of stock):
As far as I know they are no longer made. I have bid on a few of them on GB but they always sell for more than I am willing to pay.

My "Scout" rifle is my older Remington model 7 with 18.5" barrel and walnut stock. With a leupold 2x7 it is fast to sight at 2 power. The rifle is in 7-08, close enough to the 308 for me. It weighs 7.25 pounds and has the factory open sights. Its mounted on a weaver base. You can remove and reinstall the scope and it will return to zero.

If the OP likes his rifle and pushes all his buttons then its OK with me.

Once just for grins I sighted in my 30-30 marlin that had a 4x scope mounted in weaver rings and a weaver base. I removed the scope and the base. Shot 3 rounds open sights then reinstalled the same base and scope and shot at my original target. The next three rounds landed right with the rounds I had fired to sight in with no change in POI. I like weaver rings and bases. My bud hates them with a passion.