The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 29, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1
kaylorinhi

New Double-Stack .45ACP "1911" Frame

I have a Para-Ordnance 13-45, SN RN19XXXX. I am looking for a, best for the Money, double-stack frame with a light rail! I have seen a few but would like the input of other who own or have first hand knowledge of such. I have a few things done to my current slide am am willing to use my local GS to get it running as I don't currently have the skill to do it.

Thanks
Kaylorinhi

Last edited by kaylorinhi; May 29, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:36 PM   #2
kaylorinhi

Also the frame does not have to be made by anyone in particular. Just looking for individual opinions.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Doc Intrepid

Chip McCormick came out with a high capacity frame in 1991 that was considered the shizzle for quite awhile for guys building guns for IPSC and other competitive shooting, but I see his company no longer offers it (although a few could be found knocking around somewhere, I'm sure.)

But it looks like Rock Island offers one now, and their frames seem to have a pretty good reputation as foundations for guys who like to build their own...

Here is one offered online:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=229886477
Old May 29, 2011, 11:49 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Doc, the one you linked to doesn't have a light rail -- and I don't think Armscor/Rock Island has a double stack frame with a light rail.

Caspian makes a double stack frame, but I don't think that's available with a light rail, either.

There really aren't that many double stack 1911s out there, and even fewer with integral rails. The OP may be looking at having to buy a complete Para pistol to get the frame. I don't think they sell anything other than their standard P14.45 "Gunsmith Kit" frame as a separate item -- and that doesn't have a rail.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:25 AM   #5
HiBC

I'm having a mental block,can't recall the name,but there is the online outfit,sells custom guns,kits.parts,that is a split off from Dan Wesson
Old May 30, 2011, 08:49 AM   #6
KyJim

I didn't initially respond since you wanted "the input of other who own or have first hand knowledge of such." I don't.

But, STI makes wide bodied frames with a rail. Brazos carries them. http://www.1911store.com/sti-2011-ta...ame-kit-1.aspx

Fusion Firearms sells STI frames re-branded with their name on them. I didn't see a wide bodied frame with tac rail on their website but I would call them and see if they might have one or get one.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
I'm having a mental block,can't recall the name,but there is the online outfit,sells custom guns,kits.parts,that is a split off from Dan Wesson
Fusion.

Not a split-off from Dan Wesson. When DW was purchased by CZ-USA, the former president of DW left (I don't know if he had his job eliminated, or simply chose to leave). He started a new company, Fusion. It is not in any way related to or "split off" from Dan Wesson.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:29 PM   #8
HorseSoldier

Caspian High Capacity Recon frame.
Old May 30, 2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Doc Intrepid

Mea culpa, AB, I missed the bit about the light rail.

Here is a link to the Caspian Arms frame that HorseSoldier mentioned above:

http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/index....d=16&Itemid=14

In a rather quick review of the options from the companies I'm aware of, this is the only one I found that offers just a doublestack .45 frame with an integrated rail (but there may be others I didn't check).
Old May 30, 2011, 06:26 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

That's cool, Doc. I never noticed that Caspian has a "Recon Rail" version of their hi-cap frame.

Tags
.45 acp , double , frame , para , stack