The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 29, 2017, 12:01 AM   #26
ammo.crafter

CTS

Give some consideration to the .380acp cartridge and a striker fired pistol.

Both will significantly reduce felt recoil, allow you to work the slide easier and will have you practicing more often. Once at ease with the weapon you could advance to a +P type ammo.
Old December 29, 2017, 02:22 AM   #27
geologist

A full size 9mm 1911 has very mild recoil.
Old December 29, 2017, 06:48 AM   #28
JDBerg

Take a good look at a Walther Creed, a nice 9mm service pistol that is commonly available at under $300.

Last edited by JDBerg; December 30, 2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:40 PM   #29
blchandl2

Pico, Zukiphile beat me to it. Yes, they are BHP "pattern" guns, not clones. The 94 is a single action and the 98 is a double action. They are built like tanks and quite accurate.
Old December 29, 2017, 09:14 PM   #30
hubris

If you find a Stoeger Cougar try it for feel. About 34 oz DA/SA with a Beretta rotating barrel. Very easy to shoot, easy take down, low recoil.
Old December 29, 2017, 09:30 PM   #31
Northrider

Another one to consider is the Bersa Thunder in either .380 or 9mm. They are light, fit the hand well and the slide is very easy to rack. Just my .02
Old December 29, 2017, 09:54 PM   #32
Scout

I second the Ruger P95. Absurdly affordable, enormously durable and altogether excellent.
Old December 30, 2017, 08:11 AM   #33
scroadkill

Ive been throwing batting practice for the last 15 years, and about June the tendonitis and rotator cuff and elbow all announce themselves ... I've found the cz sp01 w/ 10lbs recoil springs and 147gr 9mm to be easy to shoot. I also ride the extended safety and G10 palm swell grips to help keep the nose down. I'de look at the CZ 75 P01 clones if on a budget.
Old December 30, 2017, 11:17 AM   #34
jetinteriorguy

The CZ75B guns are very soft shooting and mine is very accurate, but pretty doubtful you'll find one for less than $450.00 or so. The CZ P07/09 are also pretty soft for lighter plastic framed guns, but pretty hard to get them under $400.00. If you could stretch the budget up to this level you'd be happy with either of these guns.
Old December 30, 2017, 12:05 PM   #35
Piko

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm leaning towards one of the steel alloy CZ clones - they're just tough to find within budget.

The Beretta PX4 (also slightly over budget) is next on my list. That Stoeger Cougar is an interesting alternative that I need to research.
Old December 30, 2017, 12:14 PM   #36
GarandTd

Polymer CZ clones are available for under $300, but I don't know how the recoil compares to the all steel cousins. Sarsilmaz B6P, K2P, CM9 gen2(2nd generation K2P) and Tanfoglio Witness P are examples. I know of others , but they are higher priced. The slide in frame design of the CZ style guns offers a lower bore axis which is a good thing, but there is also less slide surface to get ahold of for racking the slide. It's something to consider given your issues with your hands.

I do have a K2P and it has proven itself. I would have no reservations acquiring another Sarsilmaz pistol.

Last edited by GarandTd; December 30, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old December 30, 2017, 12:39 PM   #37
nanney1

After reading about the Star BM in this thread, I started searching online. Saw them for $229 and $199 depending on condition. Watched some positive youtube reviews and found it interesting. Might be of interest to me at some point, but not now.

Today, I was at a local gun show and a vendor had two of them, priced at $239. I picked it up and looked it over, felt the weight, etc... Guy says it has a good weight to it. I told him I had just read about these online last night. He tells me that I won't find them for under $400 online. I said well, I've seen them priced less than this. He said, well make me an offer. I sort of looked at him and he said, give me a number, any number. I told him thanks, but I was just looking at it as a novelty and that I wasn't really interested.
Old December 30, 2017, 12:55 PM   #38
T. O'Heir

Actual recoil(vs felt recoil) is about the ammo used, not the firearm. The fit to your hand can make a difference, but not as much as the ammo. Mind you, the weight of the pistol maters a bunch too. A 115 grain bullet at 1155 FPS out of a 1.5 pound(24 ounces) pistol gives 5.2 ft-lbs of recoil energy. Vs the 3.8 ft-lbs. out of a 2 pound(32 ounces) pistol.
After all that, I suspect that shooting any pistol with any ammo is going to hurt with "significant carpal tunnel issues". You may want to talk to your MD first.
Old December 30, 2017, 02:26 PM   #39
KyJim

Quote:
Sorry, but Wikipedia is WRONG. The Star BM does indeed weigh 34 oz. They may be, mistakenly, thinking of the alloy frame version, the BKM. Do you really use Wikipedia for reference ??
They cited a credible source: Phillip Peterson (2016). Gun Digest Book of Modern Gun Values. p. 224. ISBN 1440245010. For non-critical, non-political references, Wikipedia is not bad. I certainly would not call it authoritarian.
Old December 30, 2017, 02:44 PM   #40
ttarp

I surprised I haven't seen(or seen and missed) the 3rd gen S&W's mentioned, granted most models start at around $350 it seems. It is of course subjective, but I find them to be both light recoiling and quite easy to rack.

I believe the Walther CCCP was marketed as being especially easy to rack, and light on recoil as well.
Old December 30, 2017, 04:04 PM   #41
otasan

My Glock 17 doesn't recoil too much, even with +p and +p+ loads.
Old December 30, 2017, 05:31 PM   #42
sigarms228

Felt recoil is very subjective and a lot depends on a shooters grip technique, skills, and strength. While weight is usually good for reducing recoil a lot of us also find certain lighter poly frame pistols pleasant to shoot. Design of the springing in the pistol including the recoil spring assembly can be a big factor as some use a double design. Recoil goes upward and straight back and the degree of each depends on many factors in the pistol design and shooters preference may favor a recoil pulse that goes more straight back while others like more upward. How well a pistol fits the shooters grip is also very important in recoil control and felt recoil. Many poly pistols come with different size back straps to help customize a pistol fit to your hand.

IMO the only real way to find a pistol that works best for a particular shooter is to try out those under consideration. I understand that can not always easily be done but it can get pretty expensive buying pistols and finding out you do not like them after the purchase.

When a shooter has fairly poor forearm strength/gripping ability, that probably is going to make it difficult to find most any 9MM pistol that they will find enjoyable to shoot.

Depending how bad the problem is, it might be a good idea to also consider .22 LR for a pistol and at least try a couple out. There are also a lot of nice ones at or close to your budget. A good quality .22 LR pistol with good quality ammo like CCI Mini Mags can be very reliable. In a self defense situation being able to hit the target in a critical zone is of great importance.

As always one should check with their doctor/health provider in such a situation to see what they say as the one thing you probably do not want to do is make things worse for yourself. I have a shoulder impingement issue and asked my doctor about pistol shooting while under therapy. He basically asked if I hurt worse than usual after a range session. I told him no, because shooting did not bother me, and he said fine go and enjoy your shooting unless pain becomes an issue.

As far as 9MM within your price range, which greatly limits options, see if you can rent a Walther Creed. I am not saying it will be gold for you but worth looking into for new in your price range. If you see used 9MM pistols that appeal to you in your price range also try to rent them at the range too. Nothing beats trying one out.

I have read many times that the Glock 42 in .380 is a very pleasant shooting pistol but that is well out of your price range.

You may also want to read this thread about discussion of felt recoil with some of the more popular pistols.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...9800050334/p/1

Good luck!

Last edited by sigarms228; December 30, 2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:36 PM   #43
Piko

Sigarms228, interesting link. This low recoil search is really a rabbits hole. I've spent way too much time over the past few days reading about perceived recoil and softest shooting guns. The strange thing is that perceived recoil is fairly subjective - I've read comments that suggest there's not much difference in recoil between gun X and gun Y and other comments swearing the same gun X has twice the recoil of gun Y!

Of course a low caliber like a 22 will have much lower recoil, but my intended use for the gun will be principally as a home defense weapon - so I prefer a reliable 9mm, although a .380 is not out of the question. Overall, the most common recommendations have been to go for a heavier gun -Beretta 92, Steel frame CZ or CZ clone, Ruger P89 or P95 etc. Since I have small hands, I've eliminated the Beretta 92 as people have complained about the excessively larger grip.

Also, since so many have recommended the PX4 storm, I'm still considering this model. As far as .380s are concerned, the Walther PK380 that has been recommended does not get great reviews as far as reliability is concerned. I have also read suspect reviews about the other often recommended budget .380 model, the Bersa Thunder - some swear by this gun, but there are enough poor reviews for me to avoid it. The soft shooting .380 models that get great reviews are well over my budget - Beretta 85 or CZ83.
Old December 31, 2017, 03:28 PM   #44
zukiphile

Piko, i need to clarify one thing since I recommended the PK380.

Quote:
I have also read suspect reviews about the other often recommended budget .380 model, the Bersa Thunder - some swear by this gun, but there are enough poor reviews for me to avoid it. The soft shooting .380 models that get great reviews are well over my budget - Beretta 85 or CZ83.
The PK380 and the Glock .380 (I believe) use a barrel to slide lock-up system like a 1911 or 9mm Sig.

Fixed barrel .380s are completely different. I thought a Walther PPKS would be a neat pistol to have until I shot one. Despite shooting the .380, the recoil was punishing. I've shot full power .357 magnum revolvers that were milder. It wasn't until shooting a PPKS that I appreciated what an incredible miracle of technology a 1911 in 45ACP is.

Don't assume that just because a pistol shoots a mild round that it will have mild recoil.
Old December 31, 2017, 03:50 PM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

^^I had a similar thought. I shot a buddy's Sig P232 (a blowback action) a few years back and it beat the living bejeebers out of me.
Old December 31, 2017, 07:36 PM   #46
Onward Allusion

I have two guns in mind. Both 9mm.

The first is the Hi Point C9. I am not trying to be funny. I have shot a lot of 9mm pistols and the HP C9 is by far the softest shooting 9mm that I have ever shot. The reason is due to the massive slide needed for a straight blow-back design. The downside is that cycle time is slower than most 9mms. Then there's the low capacity (8 + 1).

My other suggestion is a 3rd gen Smith - a 5906 or 5904. Good and heavy and higher capacity.
Old December 31, 2017, 08:28 PM   #47
Danoobie

You want a reliable 9mm, and light recoil, all for 300$. Ouch.

I'll agree the Ruger P95 is the way to go.
Old December 31, 2017, 09:15 PM   #48
SauerGrapes

My wife shoots a G42 380 auto. They are probably one of the larger 380 pistols out there. I had her shooting Hornady Critical defense ammo in it. She's 70 years old and 90lbs soaking wet.

Low bore axis and a 5'' barrel will help a lot with felt recoil. Not just weight. I've always thought Glock did a good job with their recoil system.
1911 in 9mm with the right ammo can be about as soft as anything. Rock Island GI model comes to mind for price.

A sure remedy for pain is adrenaline. You might hate practicing, but if you ever need to use a gun in a self defense situation, I'll bet you'll never feel any pain.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 31, 2017, 09:24 PM   #49
Piko

Quick survey, let me know what you guys would pick for the $$:

Ruger P95 Used $270
Ruger P89 Used $300
Beretta PX4 $390 new or $340 used
TR Imports Mega Steel Alloy CZ clone: $350 new
Stoeger Cougar 8000: $350 like new

Stoeger appears to be a steel alloy version of the PX4 Storm, heavier so perhaps even slightly less recoil than the PX4

Note: My hands are relatively small - so if this is a factor please let me know.
Old December 31, 2017, 09:52 PM   #50
SauerGrapes

I would go Beretta all day long. IMO, better gun than anything you have listed.
Also, try 147gr bullets. Less powder, more of a push recoil than 115gr FMJ. I've always thought Blazer factory ammo had slightly less recoil than some of the others. 2nd would be Remington IMO. Worst IMO for recoil is the Russian stuff. PPU, Wolf
My .02

R.I.P.____Murphy