The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 12, 2018, 10:37 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I thought adjustable stocks would be nice ... until half the shots that I fired yanked beard hair. Not. Cool. At. All.
I have a full beard and have not had that happen with any of my adjustable stocks. I spend a lot of time with my adjustable stock rifles as I hunt multiple times a week doing hog control for landowners.

No doubt the sensation is not cool. My Beretta Storm would latch onto my mustache hairs during firing - some sort of flexing going on during recoil that would open a gap between the softer rubber and hard plastic. It IS a very rude experience.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:13 AM   #27
Hunter Customs

I prefer the A2 fixed stock!
Old January 14, 2018, 12:13 AM   #28
geologist

I prefer adjustable stocks so that I can get a proper fit depending on clothing and/or body armor.
Old January 14, 2018, 11:20 AM   #29
berettaprofessor

Definitely adjustable; winter or summer wear makes a difference on my reach.
Old January 17, 2018, 08:53 PM   #30
jad0110

I really don't have anything for or against them. Honestly, I don't really need them as I end up setting them to the near exact same length of an A1 fixed stock, which feels perfect to me.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:43 PM   #31
turtlehead

Just got the Magpul fixed carbine stock and put it on. The lop is 12" and oddly enough it feels just right.
Old February 11, 2018, 09:03 PM   #32
O4L

I prefer a fixed stock but I also use the adjustable stocks now and then.
Old February 12, 2018, 11:44 AM   #33
doofus47

I mind the adjustable stock more when I mismatch a commercial butt stock over a military buffer tube and it rattles like 67 VW bug on a dirt road.

Fixed stocks are always the gold standard.
Old February 12, 2018, 12:14 PM   #34
hdwhit

Haven't really given it a whole lot of thought. I guess I would say that I don't care for adjustable stocks but view them as an inevitable fact of life that has largely supplanted the fixed stock.
Old February 12, 2018, 01:38 PM   #35
Bartholomew Roberts

I prefer adjustable because even my own personal ideal lop changes depending on gear and type of shooting. It is also great for letting new shooters adjust it to their size.

If I go fixed though, A1 length with an A2 square metal buttplate. Maybe something like the Magpul PRS.
Old February 12, 2018, 02:59 PM   #36
brian33x51

I used to agree but now I have kids....
Old February 12, 2018, 08:46 PM   #37
berettaprofessor

Adjustable on every one of my AR's. I don't understand the downside; Don't want it to move? Don't move it.
Old February 12, 2018, 09:00 PM   #38
stagpanther

Quote:
Adjustable on every one of my AR's. I don't understand the downside; Don't want it to move? Don't move it.
I do have a few fixed--don't care for them except when shooting off a bench and I have all the time in the world.
Old February 12, 2018, 09:30 PM   #39
Kvon2

Quote:
Adjustable on every one of my AR's. I don't understand the downside; Don't want it to move? Don't move it
the rattling/wobbling drives me nuts. A2 stocks feel just about perfect when it comes to LOP for me so I don't really feel the need to move it.
Old February 13, 2018, 01:11 AM   #40
blackopsglock

There are reasons for owning a collapse-able stock . LE officers running Body armor for instance will need to shorten it when using it on duty . Off duty they will need to extend it . Barrel chested men will benefit by collapsing it some . Smaller stature people will benefit as well . So yeah I see the Benefit for some people. But I feel most people just buy them for the cool factor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 13, 2018, 01:36 AM   #41
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor
Agreed. Disliking adjustable AR stocks makes about as much sense as disliking adjustable car seats. Guess what: You can set it the way you like it! How in the world is that a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvon2
the rattling/wobbling drives me nuts. A2 stocks feel just about perfect when it comes to LOP for me so I don't really feel the need to move it.
Most decent adjustable stocks these days don’t wobble at all. Here’s the thing, if the A2 stock happens to be perfect for you, then great. But if you have a carbine buffer tube then you have a huge number of options for stocks, many of which are better-feeling than the A2 stock, many of which don’t rattle, and all of which are adjustable for a perfect length of pull.
Old February 13, 2018, 12:16 PM   #42
hagar

Have you tried the Magpul UBR? Not cheap, but a wonderful stock.
Old February 13, 2018, 04:49 PM   #43
Reloadron

Anyone Else Dislike Collapsible Stocks?
While I wouldn't say I dislike them I am not quite fond of them. The four AR 15 rifles I have all sport the A2 stock, then too, a few of those are SP1 guns which would look peculiar with a collapsible stock.

Ron