The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 20, 2017, 10:31 AM   #76
LBussy

And you're missing the point: I wanted a ... let's call it "entry priced" .22 auto. I got one for a killer price and in 40 years it will be worth at least $175.

Now if I ever want a serious target pistol, I'll start a new thread.
Old December 20, 2017, 10:57 AM   #77
Amati

Quote:
To be fair you specifically called out the 208S in your first post, of which there are only two on gunbroker and both are over 2k.

I’d bet majority of the Rugers that have been sold have little to no modification done to them. While some may have large amounts dropped in them, it’s a small percentage of the whole.
Correct on both counts and I allowed my dislike of Rutgers get the better of me.
Old December 20, 2017, 12:46 PM   #78
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Correct on both counts and I allowed my dislike of Rutgers get the better of me.
No worries, they aren’t my favorites either. I have little doubt they are awesome pistols, but I have yet to pick one that feels as right as my SW422 does. I’m slowly coming to terms that I want to move up from my 422, it’s probably going to be a used Model 41.

Now if I came across a Ruger at the price LBussy did, I’d buy it on the spot. Can’t have too many 22s, even if they aren’t all a favorite.
Old December 20, 2017, 05:39 PM   #79
stuckinthe60s

thanks for the new mk3 update info.
for plinking, I think he did well.
I would have gone high standard myself, but....hey. long as it goes bang.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 22, 2017, 09:35 PM   #80
HisSoldier

the rash of recent 1911 shaped .22's are mostly made of pot metal, well, actually pots use much better material.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:08 AM   #81
rep1954

ms6852 wrote:
“I own the browning buckmark. When I was buying it I was comparing it to the ruger side by side. My decision was purely based on how it felt in my hands. I liked the buckmark better. I have shot both and to me they are both equal in reliability and accuracy. I have no experience with the smith and Wesson but from I have read they are just as accurate or more than the other two. Field stripping is pretty easy as well.”

Sound advice when when you are represented with guns that are so closely matched and will remain stock. But if you are someone who feels the need to make changes to perfect your gun to fit your needs then I would go with the Ruger. I really like the new MKIV in the blued model as it has a aluminum frame and has a great weight savings over the stainless models. That model with the 6” Standard upper is something I will pick up in the near future.
Old December 24, 2017, 08:32 PM   #82
James K
Member In Memoriam

"... you have an early red eagle grip gun. it switched to black to mourn the death of mr. ruger."

The eagle was changed from red to black by Bill Ruger to mourn the death of Alexander McCormick Sturm, his friend and business partner, whose mother provided early capital to the fledgling gun company. It was Sturm, who had a fascination with heraldry, who designed the eagle trademark. Following Ruger's own death, the "S" for Sturm was removed from the logo, though the company name remains "Sturm, Ruger."

Jim
Old January 14, 2018, 05:36 PM   #83
Hdonly

My old Standard. She looks rough cause she has had a long hard life. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I have put through this gun since I bought it new in 1979. Made the grips to fit my larger hands. You can tell it's been in and out of the holster a time or two. I could polish it up and re-blue it, but I won't. I like it just like it is. A little old and beat up-just like me.