The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
XD Niner

Gun Belt Recommendations?

I am looking for a good, moderate cost gun belt. I want one that is stiff enough to retain the holster well yet supple enough to feel comfortable. I am looking for a 1 ½” size. The two that I have found to date are the Rafter S Cowhide belt for $45 http://www.raftersgunleather.com/and the Hume Trouser belt for $40 http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=02XDL. What are your thoughts on these or any other belts in this approximate price range?
Old January 13, 2005, 11:44 PM   #2
RUT

I recently learned about Rafter's offerings and was impressed by their quality and price, to say nothing of the testimonials. I'm about to order one of their cowhide versions, so only time will tell.

===RUT===
Old January 14, 2005, 04:22 AM   #3
dairycreek

Just a thought!

I have had my last three gunbelts built by a local shoe repairman. He chooses good, stiff leather and makes them for about $20.00 each. FWIW

GOOD SHOOTING
Old January 14, 2005, 06:08 AM   #4
krang

You won't go wrong with the Rafter. Wear mine everyday. Supports my 9mm and .45 with no sag.
SA 1911 GI
CZ 75B
Old January 15, 2005, 08:48 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

rewarding superior service

My current 'daily wearer' is a Don Hume second purchased at very fair cost from the great-service guys at Gunners Alley.
Recommend.
(also have great belts from a few 'others', but at higher cost)

http://gunnersalley.zoovy.com
Old January 17, 2005, 12:40 AM   #6
JerryM

I have a brown sharkskin from Rafter S. I also have two black ones on order, a sharkskin and a cowhide. I gave my son and son in law each a black sharkskin for Christmas.

So it should be obvious that I think they are top notch. I also have gun belts from others, but the Rafter S are the best.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old January 17, 2005, 01:14 AM   #7
mikikanazawa

FWIW, I once stumbled across contract leather belts there were made for the U.S. Postal Service at a military surplus store. (The were seconds because the stamping on the inside of the belt was way crooked.) Ten bucks for a decent looking and strong belt.

I only bought one and wore it out, but it took a good ten years of hard use.
Old February 3, 2005, 05:19 PM   #8
rnpollard

Believe it or not check out Wal-Mart

They have a work belt in black leather with a silver buckle and brown leather with a brass that is stiff enough to support a holster. $8.96. I wear one every day.

[email protected]
Old February 3, 2005, 08:51 PM   #9
tvdilbert

Re: Wal Mart -- YMMV, but I have not found a belt there that compares to a purpose-made gunbelt. It may certainly seem like it would, but I would wager once you try one designed to carry the weight of a pistol, you won't go back.

The only recommendation I can make right now is The Wilderness Instructor's Belt from
www.thewilderness.com. I have a 1.5" 5-stitch and a 1.5" CSM and both of them are awesome. Eventually I'd like to get a leather belt, but these two will probably stay on as part of my main carry rigs.

- Jon -