The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2018, 12:32 PM   #26
Squab

I'm new to this forum... in fact it is the first forum I have ever joined. But this thread caught my attention and I wanted to reply.

I bought (2) of my sons Ruger American's in 30-06 when they turned 16. Good rifles, no issues. I have not found a load (factory) that will shoot MOA in them. Close, but not quite MOA. But they shoot well enough for hunting which was their purpose. Very smooth rifles. I read some others on here that shoot incredibly good groups with their American's. I have not reloaded but plan on doing that soon (have all the stuff, just no space for it at this time). I have not purchased an American for myself, and probably won't. Why? Because I bought the Thompson Center Venture some years ago and have not looked back. I have a 204, 223, and 308. Each of these shoot sub MOA with premium ammo (Federal Premium) and the .204 and .223 shoot it with regular ammo. I have recently acquired a 280 Rem. and a 300 WM in the Venture. I suspect, based on my past experience, they will shoot just as well as my first 3. I do not have experience with the Compass model, or the Savage or Howa. Just sharing my experience with the two I do have some time invested in. The Ruger fits me a little better (slightly longer length of pull), but I'll take the Venture due to it's performance.
Old January 21, 2018, 11:57 PM   #27
dvdcrr

Ive got a Compass in 243. My son and I like to shoot diet sodas at 220 yds to watch them blow up with 90 gr. Accubonds. My son is 9 yrs old. He says this rifle makes it easy. VX3i 10X scope. Stock is a softer plastic seemingly, so if there was a aftermarket, that would be nice. But as-is great shooting rifle.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old January 22, 2018, 07:51 AM   #28
jpx2rk

Boyds has some options for the Compass rifles. No 1st hand experience, but lots of Savage owners love the Boyds as a replacement for their tupperware stocks.
Old February 13, 2018, 03:26 PM   #29
Who Dey William

Absolutely love mine

Late to the party here, but for anyone who wanders by...

I picked mine up with the rebate and mounted a Burris Fullfield II. Out of the box without any break in period (I know, I'm a sinner), the rifle shot .5 MOA with match ammo (Hornady ELD-M) and stayed sub-MOA at 200 yards with hunting rounds (Hornady American Whitetail). Be sure to grab a few different boxes, though, as my 6.5 Creedmoor HATED Federal Fusion 140 grain loads. Overall, I couldn't be happier.

To those worried about the stock: yes, it is pretty cheap, but the whole point of this price range of guns is to function and nothing else. It doesn't look nice, the stock sounds hollow when you knock on it, and it will certainly flex when you push on the foreend, but who cares if it shoots sub MOA? To put this in perspective, I've got a beautiful Browning A5 in glossy walnut - I love to look at it, but that's all I do with it. I just look at it because I don't want to blemish that perfect finish. I wouldn't bat an eye if my compass gets muddy, scratched, and abused. In fact, I welcome it, and that's why the cheap stock doesn't scare me away at all. It's performance on a budget.

As other have said, if it really bothers you, pick this gun up and drop another $100 on an aftermarket stock. You'll still be better off by some $300 - 400 than if you went with a more established manufacturer and model with the same performance. I wish my $800 Remington 700 shot like my $220 Compass does. For another $10 (shipped) you can order an aftermarket trigger spring to drop the pull weight to the light side of hunting safe all the way down to a 2 pound target trigger.

Last edited by Who Dey William; February 13, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old February 16, 2018, 10:37 PM   #30
Woodsbum

I did alot of research on the compass, and ordered one in 6.5 cm before they went on sale at Dick's. When I went to shoot it the first time I was happy to see a nice triangle 3/4"group at 100 using 129gr.hornady whitetail ammo. I am not the best shot around and it was probably the best group I have had in a long time. Can't wait to try it with match loads. Overall it seems like a well designed rifle. I liked it so much I bought one in 308. ,before the sale ended. They are packed with good features.
Old February 17, 2018, 06:51 AM   #31
Elkins45

I picked up a 243 while the rebate was on. I’ve only fired it about 20 times but initial accuracy results are promising. It certainly seems worth the $200ish I paid for it.

It feels more substantial than the Savage Axis, but I don’t own one so that’s not based on actual use. The threaded barrel is a plus but the lack of a LH version makes the American or Axis a better choice for me as a field rifle.

I bought it to use it with a silencer but haven’t gotten around to trying that yet.
Old February 17, 2018, 07:24 PM   #32
Woodsbum

My brother has a axis in 3006 , I liked the feel of the stock on the axis a little more,but the compass feels a bit more stiff. But when it gets colder up here in n.y., the plastic stocks feel like they are frozen. Buy the way,his axis shot a 5/8" group with two touching, but he is a better shooter than I am.
Old March 16, 2018, 07:00 PM   #33
lordmorgul

Thompson Center Compass compared to other budget rifles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
Boyds has some options for the Compass rifles. No 1st hand experience, but lots of Savage owners love the Boyds as a replacement for their tupperware stocks.

The TC Compass comes pillar bedded. It’s tolerable, slightly flexible, but very usable.

The option is there but I see limited reason to use it and replace with Boyd’s unless:

1) you’re a good enough shot to really complain about the flex under bipod load, but not a good enough shooter to compensate for that by consistently flexing the flexible stock.

2) you are that good and still pushing the limit and should just use a much better gun altogether why are you trying so hard to prove you can with the TC

3) you just can’t tolerate plastic and need wood and should have just bought a kimber or CZ

I ft into category 1 I think, though maybe on the lower end of it, I can tell it’s flexing but pretty sure it’s not my biggest issue

This is my gun, I really like it, still getting it setup and used to it, but very glad I picked it over the other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old March 16, 2018, 07:22 PM   #34
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltop Shooter View Post
I have no experience with the T/C but with all the entry level price point rifles that i do have some time on, the Ruger American is tops IMHO. Hard to get that much rifle for under $400.

I know the thread is older but for the $200 I paid at $275 -$75 rebate it’s really hard to argue that point, the 5R rifling of the TC is a standout feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old March 23, 2018, 03:20 PM   #35
myskyn

Just got lucky!

Found the Venture in 270 Winchester last night on Sportsman's Guide for $213 before the $75 dollar rebate and free shipping. They charge a $5 transfer fee so my out the door price was $143. Probably should have bought two.