The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 21, 2018, 03:05 PM   #1
fullsize only

reverse backup gun approach

Hello! I haven't been on here in years (2012 to be exact). I had a different course of action come in to my head and wanted to see what you guys thought.

The jframe revolver inside the pocket is quicker than any other mode of concealed carry except for OWB. With the warmer months approaching, OWB will not be an option for most of us. So my thought was, why not use my pocket carried jframe (or sp101 or lcr) as my initial "draw gun" or primary. If my encounter requires me to defy all common statistics and I need more than 5 or 6 rounds, then I draw my g26 and continue to fight for my and/or my families life. Again, my logic is to deploy the most reliable and obstruction proof firearm I have (because Billy BA is not predictable), fire until dry or threat is regrouping, then place snubbie in my back pocket and draw the g26 from 4 o'clock. same approach can be taken with a pocket semi, but my logic took as many scenarios as
I could think of into account, which is why I chose a snubbie.
Old March 21, 2018, 03:12 PM   #2
JN01

I don't carry a second gun unless wearing a heavy coat makes drawing my usual carry gun problematic, then I will carry one in an outer coat pocket.

However, if you don't mind carrying two guns, I don't see a problem with your reasoning.

A J-frame isn't fullsize though.
Old March 21, 2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Quote:
then place snubbie in my back pocket
Best to just drop it if you can overcome your conditioning to take care of your gun.

Once upon a time, back when the .38 revolver was standard PD issue, there were reports of police carrying Brownings or 1911s as "backup." They had to have the .38 but the auto with more rounds and more power were their real weapon.
Old March 21, 2018, 03:52 PM   #4
HistoryJunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Best to just drop it if you can overcome your conditioning to take care of your gun.

Once upon a time, back when the .38 revolver was standard PD issue, there were reports of police carrying Brownings or 1911s as "backup." They had to have the .38 but the auto with more rounds and more power were their real weapon.
I was just about to say this. I carry a Ruger LCP as a BUG with my CZ P07 as my primary if I have to go to a local problem city.

No point in putting away a gun when going life or death. Drop that gun when it's empty.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2018, 08:54 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Even as a LEO, I never felt a need to carry more than one gun, a revolver, either a Model 36 3" (in plain clothes) or a Model 19 (in uniform). The trouble with the "extra" gun is not only the extra weight but (in some situations) the additional chance of being "made". Sure, I could have run into the mini-mob of 6 or 10 (or 286) bad guys, but I guess I just took a chance and lived dangerously.

Of course, I knew how to use those guns, and never let my collector instinct affect my carry gun. So I didn't try to carry a gun collection (the Roth-Steyr in the front pants pocket, the Borchardt in the belt, etc.), just the gun(s) I could be as sure of as anything on this earth.

And what do folks who carry a BUG do for a backup gun to the backup gun? Where does it stop?

Jim
Old March 22, 2018, 10:44 AM   #6
fullsize only

JN01,
the name is the way I thought when I first started taking responsibility for my own safety. I have matured since then. I wouldn't drop the empty snubbie if I could help it, just because I don't want to risk losing it, because it is still evidence that I want the responding officers to have.

My EDC is A g26, a snubbie ( sp101, lcr, or s&w 640), and a Kershaw leek. Where I live is usually in the top 5 most violent cities in the country, and my job leaves me carrying a lot of cash to and from the bank.
Old March 22, 2018, 02:51 PM   #7
TailGator

I guess I'm being dense, but if you are carrying a G26 at 4 o'clock, I don't get why it can't be your primary. How is it carried that makes a pocketed revolver so much faster?
Old March 22, 2018, 03:36 PM   #8
JN01

If you found yourself in a situation that you thought might be going bad, you could have your hand already on the grip, ready for instant deployment. Not so good if you were seated though.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:12 PM   #9
rpenmanparker

You guys are funny.
Old March 22, 2018, 09:50 PM   #10
dano1200r

A 'New York Reload' is what we used to call it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2018, 10:00 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The jframe revolver inside the pocket is quicker than any other mode of concealed carry except for OWB.

Not seeing how. Unless you mean a coat pocket, and no holster. But then that wouldn't be Summer carry.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 23, 2018, 07:36 AM   #12
old bear

Quote:
ven as a LEO, I never felt a need to carry more than one gun, a revolver, either a Model 36 3" (in plain clothes) or a Model 19 (in uniform). The trouble with the "extra" gun is not only the extra weight but (in some situations) the additional chance of being "made". Sure, I could have run into the mini-mob of 6 or 10 (or 286) bad guys, but I guess I just took a chance and lived dangerously.

Of course, I knew how to use those guns, and never let my collector instinct affect my carry gun. So I didn't try to carry a gun collection (the Roth-Steyr in the front pants pocket, the Borchardt in the belt, etc.), just the gun(s) I could be as sure of as anything on this earth.

And what do folks who carry a BUG do for a backup gun to the backup gun? Where does it stop?

Jim
My God, I wish there was a double like button for the above.

As for the mini-mobs, if there are that many people trying to kill you, soon or later, generally sooner, you are going to lose the fight.
Just be as good as you can be with the weapon you carry.
Old March 23, 2018, 10:25 AM   #13
RUT

>>And what do folks who carry a BUG do for a backup gun to the backup gun? Where does it stop?<<

LOL..I agree! Since I don't live in Chicago or Detroit I feel no need to carry more than one gun.
Old March 23, 2018, 11:37 AM   #14
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
The North American Arms Mini revolver in 22S is the BUG's BUG. You can wear it around your neck in a holster. Am I kidding, inquiring minds want to know.

Actually, I bought one -just-because. It is very cute, you can't shoot it at any distance. The actual 22 LR or 22 magnum NAAs are an order of magnitude more useful.

But it's so cute.
Old March 23, 2018, 02:37 PM   #15
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
The jframe revolver inside the pocket is quicker than any other mode of concealed carry except for OWB.
I'm not sure I buy that. A small revolver (including a six shot Kimber) can be drawn very quickly indeed from a jacket or vest pocket, provided that one starts with one's hand in the pocket. That's not always practical.

I don't see that OWB carry necessarily lends itself to a much quicker draw than IWB.

Quote:
If my encounter requires me to defy all common statistics and I need more than 5 or 6 rounds, then I draw my g26...
I don't understand that. If one can carry a larger capacity firearm, then why not draw it first?

Some people, including many police officers, do carry a "back up gun". The reason does not have do with capacity. Rather, it has mostly to do with how to mitigate the risk of the primary firearm being dropped or taken, or rendered inaccessible.

There is another reason. Anyone who has ever attended a several-day defensive pistol shooting course has been taught ways of clearing malfunctions quickly, without looking at the gun. Most have seen the reason why--guns do malfunction. Do not think in terms of how often it happens at a range session. Watch a dozen students shooting all day for three days. That's the risk exposure.

Clearing malfunctions very quickly without looking takes a lot practice. Not many people are very good at it.

The backup gun provides a means of mitigating that risk.
Old March 24, 2018, 12:07 AM   #16
BigJimP

Since you live in a bad area & carry a lot of cash -- as part of your job...as you say..!!

I think its more critical to go to the gun you shoot the best & train with all the time...in an IWB holster.../ there are all kinds of ways to cover a holster ( big Hawaiian shirt untucked, etc...)...in warm climates...

I'm not a fan of pocket carry unless you have no other options...and those of us that carry & shoot full sized guns...don't shoot the small J frames very well....( so even if you do this, I might go to a K frame in .357 mag like a model 66 in a 2 1/2"...)

( but the baby glock you carry is a sub-compact too...Mr Fullsize Only...??? )
Old April 1, 2018, 09:33 AM   #17
IAhunter

I live in Southeast Arizona, and carry OWB most of the time, and I don't carry or own any J frames. Most often during warm weather I carry either an S&W 66 or a Glock 27, without a back up gun, but I do carry reloads and can probably reload in about the time it would take to draw a second gun from deep cover. It gets hot here. When not working, I pretty much live in cargo shorts and T-shirts or golf shirts in tall sizes.

I consider this to be a very safe area. If it were not, I'd probably carry my Glock 22 or H&K USP .40 for the additional firepower.
Old April 1, 2018, 12:47 PM   #18
CDW4ME

I carry a 1911 IWB and a Glock 43 in weak hand front pocket as "2nd option"
The 2nd option pocket pistol is handy for any of the following:
-Approached by someone "shady" in parking lot / gas pumps can put hand on pistol without revealing I'm carrying.
-Primary pistol part failure, had extractor edge break during practice, caused complicated jam and left pistol with broken extractor.
-Squib load, in practice had "premium" factory HP lodge in barrel, pistol was disabled until I could drive bullet from barrel.
-Something happens to dominant hand/arm can readily access a pistol with weak hand.
Old April 1, 2018, 02:43 PM   #19
In The Ten Ring

If you want to carry a second gun, carry a second gun. I have two fire extinguishers in my car....even though I've never needed even one fire extinguisher.

I don't think anyone has had an encounter and said "gosh I wish I hadn't had a backup gun!"

When I worked at a Stop & Rob, I realized the New York Reload was the only option I had at reloading in a hurry and being able to draw while seated. Coworkers never noticed the slight bulge one ankle had over the other....they never even asked what the black clip out the side of my left front pocket was (pepper spray). People notice very, very little. In summer I do pocket carry also and if I want a backup gun, I carry it on the ankle. Long pants! And don't give us that "it's too hot here" excuse. I've spent some time in southern Asia where no one wears shorts and the humidity is near 100% every day.

Now if you want to be this guy most people might think you've gone too far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg American Loadout.jpg (54.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; April 1, 2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old April 1, 2018, 03:08 PM   #20
JERRYS.

I understand your question and have noticed many people misuse the term back-up gun when in fact they intend to use it first should they be surprised by a criminal attack.