The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 24, 2018, 10:40 AM   #1
MisterMike52

Super Vel Super Snub .38

What are some opinions about this round? It's a 90gr round going 1250-1350 fps. I'm not sure it has adequate penetration and it kind of reminds me of the old Treasury Load.
Old February 25, 2018, 09:43 AM   #2
burrhead

The "treasury load" is a 158gr LSWC-HP+P. When I still carried a 2" M10 that's what I used and would again. I occasionally carry a 638 with out of production standard pressure 125gr Nyclads and feel comfortable with that. I didn't know Super Vel was still around but 90gr seems awful light to me.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 25, 2018, 01:39 PM   #3
MisterMike52

Respectfully, the treasury load is 110 gr +p+. The FBI load is the 158gr. load. The Winchester version of the FBI load is great out 4inch but nothing shorter.

Last edited by MisterMike52; February 25, 2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 25, 2018, 04:33 PM   #4
burrhead

Yep, you're right. Pre-coffee post on my part. At any rate, I prefer a little more bullet weight. YMMV

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old February 25, 2018, 05:53 PM   #5
smee78

Hornady also makes a 90 grain light load but I prefer 130grn or more for my rounds.
Old February 25, 2018, 07:18 PM   #6
MisterMike52

Yes, that's partly why I'm optimistic about this load. The Hornady does 11.8 in denim, so the Super Vel howling 200-300 fps more show do comparably, in theory.
Old February 25, 2018, 09:03 PM   #7
SauerGrapes

Sounds good in theory. At that velocity, it could open up immediately and actually could produce less penetration. Of course, that's just MY theory. Or it could do really well and penetrate farther.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 25, 2018, 11:55 PM   #8
Water-Man

The original owner, going back quite a few years ago, supposedly was the developer of hollowpoint ammo.

The 'new' Super Vel ammo seems overpriced to me based on the test results I've seen and read about on the internet.
Old February 26, 2018, 11:53 AM   #9
MisterMike52

Yeah, it's pricey. They have a lot of discounts, I used them to snag a box. What results are you speaking of? I've only seen and found two gel test for this.
Old March 19, 2018, 09:46 PM   #10
jrothWA

A gentleman at church is retired LEO from SE Michigan city.

We were talking and he said the original SUper vel ammo was greatly appreciated for the .38 SPl., as they still carried revolvers. Most perps hits declined further shots.

WHen the "Wonderer Nines " came out, Super VEl came through.
Old March 20, 2018, 12:07 AM   #11
Hammerhead

Wasn't one of their offerings a hollow bullet (tube shape) pushed by a plastic wad?
Old March 21, 2018, 07:17 AM   #12
MisterMike52

Hammerhead, I'm not sure what you're describing. To the best of my knowledge, I'd say no.
Old March 22, 2018, 03:24 AM   #13
Hal

Quote:
Wasn't one of their offerings a hollow bullet (tube shape) pushed by a plastic wad?
Very well could have been....
There was a wholeot of bizzaro-weird-sick-dangerous stuff going on back in the days Lee Juras was doing a lot of his early attempts.
Not only him, but, pretty near the whole slew of people.

Is it possible though that you're thinking of the load where they threaded the inside of the flash hole & screwed a small tube into it? The idea there being that the flash from the primer would ignite the charge from the front and not the back.
That was one of the weird ones.
IIRC, they also used a mix of fast (Bullseye) and slow (2400) powders, carefully placed in the case so they wouldn't mix.

It's a pity people like the late Gale McMillan are gone. He rubbed elbows with a bunch of those people & had a slew of stories to tell.
(for a lot of entertainment - read through some of his posts to rec.guns - the old newsgroup.)
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/Gale$20McMillan

Anyhow -
Quote:
The original owner, going back quite a few years ago, supposedly was the developer of hollowpoint ammo.
That would have been Lee Juras. While he didn't invent the hollowpoint, he does deserve credit for the Metal jacketed hollow point for handgun cartridges.
Old April 18, 2018, 04:01 PM   #14
revolvergeek

Quote:
I suspect that you are thinking of the old PMC Ultramag. Was a tubular hollow point cookie cutter style bullet, 66 grains in .38 special and 110 grains in .44 special, with a plastic wad behind it. Fun stuff but discontinued about 25ish years ago.
Old April 18, 2018, 06:34 PM   #15
Hammerhead

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...artridges/5030
That must be them. May have been a Super Vel design that was sold. IIRC Jim Cirillo had input in that design. Back in the day they (NYPD) had a bit of trouble with 38 LRN failing to penetrate bone (skull). Low velocity, the round shape and soft bullet were blamed for the failures and the tubular bullet was designed to correct those problems. Modern hollowpoints have made them obsolete apparently.
Old April 20, 2018, 09:31 PM   #16
WheelGunMan

Has anyone taken a look ARX ammo? Out of short barrels the injection molded copper/polymer 77 grain bullet travels over 1100 fps, has superb penetration and achieves a wound channel similar to a 125 grain +p lead JHP.
Old April 26, 2018, 11:28 AM   #17
USSR

A load designed for those who worship at the altar of velocity. Penetration would be abysmal. There is a reason why the FBI specifies a high level of penetration when evaluating ammo. Just MHO.

Don
Old April 28, 2018, 08:42 AM   #18
Nanuk

Quote:
I think you are referring to the Geco BAT.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.