The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 23, 2020, 10:33 AM   #26
TunnelRat

Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there when it comes to polymer framed striker fired pistols. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 23, 2020, 10:36 AM   #27
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.
I would agree, which is why I clearly stated such.
But some folks invest their emotion into their own choices, so when others express their opinion (an opinion that was asked for BTW), they sometimes get upset.
Funny how that works
Old February 23, 2020, 10:39 AM   #28
TunnelRat

Looking for a new carry gun

I don't feel upset if you're referring to me (seeing as you quoted me). If anything I thought my post was agreeing with you.

This thread is turning into exactly what I predicted. Funny how that works.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:41 AM   #29
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight567 View Post
Is there a reason that you would have the HK over the SIG? I don't keep up with the industry that well. I just know what I like, and what works well for me and the people I work with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I personally like the grip of the VP9 better. But that’s a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 23, 2020, 10:46 AM   #30
USNRet93

Quote:
I couldn't even guess the number of recalls Glock has had over the years, it has to be in the hundreds by now. Heck just do a 5 second search on line for list after list of Glock recalls to see for yourself.
Just did and found 1, in 2011.

https://www.ammoland.com/2011/09/glo...#axzz6EnBInKSA

But, I guess I'm wrong..

I get it, ya hate Glocks..good for you..I guess I could spout all sorts of anecdotal evidence, how how I've had 3 sigs fall apart, how 'numerous' LEO and military units have had to throw all of their Glocks away..I guess the SEALS are next, since they just got theirs..AND ignore the problems with the M17, Sig 320, 365, 238..cuz, they aren't Glocks so big issues really don't mean a thing..
Ignorant fools..!!
Quote:
Sigh, people can't just like what they like anymore. I've owned just about everything out there when it comes to polymer framed striker fired pistols. I like Glocks. There may be many other better alternatives in someone else's opinion. That's great. The market supports a lot of preferences.
How dare you....another koolaide drinker..shame on you. To mention such a thing on this TSFL forum..The Sig Firing Line Forum

I'll continue to drink that koolaide, and you can too for Sig..

OBTW-TBM, the OP asked for advice yet you see fit to throw out editorials about Glock..dejavu all over again...

Yawn, out.

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; February 23, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:48 AM   #31
TunnelRat

He was advocating for Steyr, how is he a SIG fan?

Old February 23, 2020, 10:48 AM   #32
bull_chips

I never understand why, when the OP asks for guidance between a Sig and an HK, somebody has to throw out “buy a Glock” . That’s not what he was asking.
Both are good options, however you have trained for years with a Sig. The 320 would would have a totally different trigger feel than the DAO 250. Perhaps a 365 would be easier to conceal, for carry, but the 320 would make a nice range/duty weapon.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:49 AM   #33
TBM900

Quote:
I don't feel upset if you're referring to me (seeing as you quoted me). If anything I thought my post was agreeing with you.

This thread is turning into exactly what I predicted. Funny how that works.
Nope, not at all referring to you.
Rather the poster that clearly got upset with my opinion.
Old February 23, 2020, 10:55 AM   #34
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBM900 View Post
Nope, not at all referring to you.
Rather the poster that clearly got upset with my opinion.
The OP asked about a Sig320 and HK..NOT how Glock owners drink koolaide.
Quote:
He was advocating for Steyr, how is he a SIG fan?
Maybe not but the pro Sig and anti-Glock bias on this forum gets tiresome..IMHO..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 23, 2020, 10:58 AM   #35
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_chips View Post
I never understand why, when the OP asks for guidance between a Sig and an HK, somebody has to throw out “buy a Glock” . That’s not what he was asking.
Both are good options, however you have trained for years with a Sig. The 320 would would have a totally different trigger feel than the DAO 250. Perhaps a 365 would be easier to conceal, for carry, but the 320 would make a nice range/duty weapon.
TBM wrote
Quote:
Buy a Steyr
He wasn't asking about a Steyr

With a cute little emoji..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 23, 2020, 11:16 AM   #36
TunnelRat

Looking for a new carry gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
The OP asked about a Sig320 and HK..NOT how Glock owners drink koolaide.

Maybe not but the pro Sig and anti-Glock bias on this forum gets tiresome..IMHO..

You have mentioned this bias many times now. I feel like you’ve beaten that horse into the ground, and a horse that might be in your imagination as well. I carry Glocks, I shoot them the most, and I still have quite a few (and owned many more than that). I don’t feel tired by this supposed bias and I’ve been here many more years than you. Maybe don’t wear your heart on your sleeve so much. It’s an inanimate object.

Old February 23, 2020, 12:07 PM   #37
Flight567

Quote:
I appreciate the advice. The concealability of the 320 isnt such a concern for me. I already conceal the 250, and have for 4 years. I have considered the 365xl, which seems to be rather nice.

Im headed to the range today to compare the two.

I'll give a brief range report after I get back.

Old February 23, 2020, 05:53 PM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

Just got back from the range today, ironically a guy was shooting a HK 45. Later I got to handle this fine firearm. Pictures do not do it justice. What a nice looking piece that felt so good in my hand. I like solid built firearms and this gun reeked of this. Not a gun I would want for EDC, but when the Zombies come (and they will) I want one. Looks like a lot of fun.
Old February 24, 2020, 07:01 AM   #39
USNRet93

Quote:
You have mentioned this bias many times now. I feel like you’ve beaten that horse into the ground, and a horse that might be in your imagination as well. I carry Glocks, I shoot them the most, and I still have quite a few (and owned many more than that). I don’t feel tired by this supposed bias and I’ve been here many more years than you. Maybe don’t wear your heart on your sleeve so much. It’s an inanimate object.

10-4

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 24, 2020, 01:14 PM   #40
rodfac

To the OP...I'd go with the Sig, as I like the half dozen I've owned over the years...all well built and as accurate as I'm able to manage with my eyes and grip. I've owned one HK that was beautifully made, but found it was no better than the Sigs. As you mentioned the Sig P365XL at one point...I'll support that choice based on my experience with the P365 original model.

I've carried a P365 daily as my carry piece for over a year now...1300 rounds through it now ranging from handloads assembled with 125 gr LSWC's, to FMJ's of 115 & 124 gr. weights, and a number of brands of 'boutique' SD JHP's...all fed 100%...no problems at all. The gun is truly a game changer..small, compact with 11 round capacity, and best of all, it sports a grip/sight balance that allows truly outstanding accuracy. Many reviewers have opined that it shoots like a full size 'duty' gun, and I agree..see pic below shot at 10 yds from a combat stance. It's worth a look-see and a range test if you can find one to rent.

As to a holster...I'm not a fan whatsoever of any of the AIWB types for the usual reasons: most are too big to fit with my current waist size pants and all I have seen end up with the muzzle pointed at my anatomy at some point!

Quote:
USNRet: Maybe not but the pro Sig and anti-Glock bias on this forum
I like Sigs...shoot 'em well; have trained with a Glock 17 & 23 and shot 'em equally well...but prefer the Sig feel, grip ergonomics and overall quality to the Glocks I have shot...that said, I've perceived no bias one way or the other here on TFL. It's a personal preference as are all gun purchases and I feel no need to "sell" my choices here nor imagine bias if others choose "less wisely", LOL. YMMv, (and really, it's OK if you do!) Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 24, 2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old February 24, 2020, 05:54 PM   #41
L-2

Quote:
So I guess the question is..... What would you guys do?
I'm going to answer without recommending a specific handgun. Unless you're mandated/issued a specific handgun caliber and platform to carry, I'd explore various brands & models by:
-reading;
-asking what people use, both in-person and nowadays, online; if you want, design a poll of various makes, models, and calibers to determine what the TFL readers own or recommend.
-narrowing it down, hopefully, to brand & caliber; I realize some folks are more or less limited to what they can buy by personal-budget, wealth, income, number allowed on a state's carry permit;
-then finally buying that handgun with a couple thousand rounds of ammo, along with any other accessories needed (holsters, tools, other personal preference items).

Then get totally competent/expert with it. You may want or need to buy more ammo during this time. You may want to make or add other personal-preference items during this time (holsters, tools, sights, grips, more mags, lights, etc.).

OTHER.
Keep the SIG P250 you've got for now as it's apparently working ok for you.
Every manufacturer believes it's got just right model & caliber for you. You've just got to decide for yourself what you want.

LATER.
Return to this forum and tell us what you think of your choice(s) and maybe start the process over again.

Do consider a firearm's popularity; size; weight; holster availability (and with a weapon-light if desired); price; reliability; ability or cost to repair, if necessary. Note, how it feels in the hand while in the store is ok, but probably shouldn't be a major factor as it'll really take living with the gun with the clothes you wear, for hours on end, and doing the activities you do, for you to really get determine if it'll work for you.

I like how you've already stuck with a P250 for 4 years.
I like you're thinking of trying a quality 2nd optional gun, but just getting other opinions before buying, whether used or new.
I like you're not asking an opinion on a handgun because it's the least expensive brand & model you could find.

PS: Many of us will be carrying something else; there will always be another gun out there to try. There will always be somebody out there who has bought or tried every gun out there on the market. For some folks, it's entirely normal to buy a gun or two every year to carry and live with it for awhile. Maybe you'll become that person too.

Last edited by L-2; February 24, 2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old February 24, 2020, 06:40 PM   #42
jmhyer

Hard to see how you could go wrong with the VP9 SK. Price seems good for what you'd be getting, but you might be able to get an even better price with some negotiation. Either way, it's a great firearm.
Old February 25, 2020, 02:42 AM   #43
Ignition Override

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=0,1,6

Flight 567 asked "What would you do"? Direct answer- I bought a new Walther P99 AS.

Aside from the very nice trigger (and very short reset), have you ever been able to shoot a polymer, striker-fired handgun in either DA -or-- SA on the first shot?
The trigger's 'stacking' when pulling in DA is not as much as with the HK P30.

My handguns began with the Sauer 38H (at age 59), Makarovs, then went to German Sigs and a CZ PCR. I'm keeping all except the Makarovs, but have nothing against these superb little tanks.

This Walther P99 AS is my first polymer handgun., but I bought it based, firstly, on the fact that it is issued to German police (-notice my other handguns-), the quality and combinations of features--not at all for the weight.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 25, 2020 at 02:57 AM.
Old February 25, 2020, 06:24 AM   #44
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Flight567!

As you can see, we all have our favorites and discussions about whose favorite is best can and do warm up. (Though this one is hardly what I'd call "heated.")

Let me start by saying that I've never owned either a Sig or an HK. That said, I've kept my eye on them for some time. Especially the VP9SK. I like it and would hate to miss a bargain if one jumped out at me.

Quote:
....HK VP9SK with 4 spare mags (3: 15 Rd, 1 10), a bladetech OWB holdter, and a lagtech IWB. All for $550. I handled it in store a bit. Fondled the controls, and after gaining permission even field stripped it in store. It presents as well, or better than the p250 that I've been training with the 4 years. The counter man allowed me to wear the IWB for a minute or two. After sitting down with the HK on my hip I determined that I like the combination.

So I guess the question is..... What would you guys do?
Considering the inclusion of 4 mags and holsters, that's a good deal. It's not a screaming, best-buddy deal, but it's a good one. There are a metric ton of good compact pistols out there, but I don't know of anything wrong with the VP9SK. If you like your HK, you should get your HK.
Old February 25, 2020, 09:06 AM   #45
USNRet93

Quote:
Or a Steyr, or a Sig 365 or a Sig 365XL or a Walther P99 AS...BUT..oh never mind..

I'd get the HK...or a Glock...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 25, 2020, 12:58 PM   #46
Flight567

thank you all for the responses! I am so really enjoying reading this! after having shot them back to back at the range (not the exact HK or SiG, but range models) I've drawn some conclusions:

the Sigs trigger is better for me. that isn't to say that the HK doesn't have a great trigger. I think that my time spent with the 250 has made me very accustom to the way that a Sig trigger feels. all of that to say that I couldn't feel any significant difference outside of slow fire. Possibly because I follow the Rob Leatham school of "slam the trigger back in a straight line and your sights won't move.

the ergonomics go to the HK. mainly the paddle release (which I understand are very polarizing). I'm left-handed and being able to push the paddles down with my trigger finger without breaking my grip makes me smile. both pistols point very naturally my first shot from a compressed ready, or sul position was well close enough that they made no difference.

as far as results; the paper showed a SLIGHTLY better print for the
Sig, though It seemed to me that this could change day to day... depending mostly on the humidity, the alignment of the stars, and the number of flies the air in my vicinity.

my range only allows for a three round quickfire before an "audible pause" in shooting. I wasn't able to really wring these guys out, the HK seemed to have a bit more muzzle flip but I was running the SK model without the pinky extension so maybe with the extenders, I have less muzzle flip with the HK?

as to the 365:
I plan on purchasing a 365 later. it would be my "deep concealment" option. either a pocket holster or an urban carry depending on what I'm wearing. or whenever I need to put something in some ball shorts and pop down to the corner store. it is something that I'm tossing around in my head, but I'm looking for something else on this occasion. specifically, I will be purchasing one pistol now. then I'm looking for an AR upper in a straight-walled cartridge because Ohio hunting laws are.... silly. then I would look at the 365. ( just so that everyone knows where I'm at in my journey)

to the other suggestions; I appreciate them immensely, but I have my sights pretty heavily focused on one of these pistols. Walthers are great guns and I actually just sold one of my friends on a PPQ. steyrs have a great reputation, but I can't find one around here to try before I make any informed decisions. Glocks... well for whatever reason I just don't shoot them well. I've been trying for a year or so to figure out what's going on, but I just don't shoot them well.

so long and short of my range trip: I gained a lot of information but none of it has helped me make my decision :P so does anyone have any more thoughts on the matter?
Old February 25, 2020, 02:59 PM   #47
chemcal

Hmmm... maybe try a H&K light LEM.
Old February 25, 2020, 03:12 PM   #48
Flight567

What is an LEM?

Old February 25, 2020, 03:59 PM   #49
chemcal

this may help: https://www.usacarry.com/hk-p30-v1-9mm-firearm-review/

Last edited by chemcal; February 25, 2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old February 25, 2020, 07:00 PM   #50
Flight567

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into an LEM at some point. for my area, however, most p30s are going for $900-1050, which is.... Significantly more than my current price range.