The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2020, 09:42 AM   #1
mrstangblb

Canik TP9 Elite SC to Sig Sauer P938

After the Texas church shooting I felt inspired to upgrade my concealed carry Smith and Wesson 642 revolver, so I started shopping around to see what might be more accurate from a distance standpoint. I didn't want to spend a boatload of money but I wanted something that would be reliable, and I had seen lots and lots of great reviews on the newer Canik TP9 Elite SC.

After watching lots of YouTube videos and checking out forums, I figured I'd give one a try. I was extremely impressed by Dahlonega Armory in Georgia with their pricing, and they were also so helpful in keeping me posted on shipment info to my local FFL.

I took the Elite SC to the range, and the first shot did not fire. I was using 124 grain NATO rounds due to recommendations all over the place, and I had also left the slide racked for about a week to see if it would compress the spring for break-in. The other 199 rounds that I shot worked just fine, and the gun really was pretty accurate from different distances, so I didn't think much about the first round not firing.

Now compared to the 642 the Elite SC is a hoss! It's at least half a pound heavier, but that is a good thing as far as keeping the gun down in recoil. It will hold 12 and 15, so it's nice to have that much firepower available.

This past Saturday I went to the range, and shooting the same ammo I had 5 that failed to fire. 3 were light to nonexistent strikes. Needless to say I was a bit ticked. Now I need to send this brand new gun in for work.

While we were at the range one of the guys came up and offered for us to try out his Sig Sauer P238 (I think because he was sweet on my stepsister, whose husband was standing right there). I was extremely impressed by the P238 at how accurate and low recoil it was, so I did some more research and found out about the P938.

I'd rather have a 9mm for ammo availability and pricing, so I bit the bullet (pretty much literally) and bought the Hogue gripped 2 mag version with fiber optic front sight from Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. They were the only store in stock plus they had the best price on it, so I drove over and picked it up.

The thing is pretty awesome, I have to admit. I've never spent that much money on a pistol or any other gun I have, but this thing is lightweight and very easy to carry. I put it in a leather holster that hooks on my belt and sits behind my front left pocket, sort of like an Urban Carry G3 but without as much leather - it has one flap and a pouch for it to sit in.

I have yet to shoot the P938, but I can't wait to put some rounds through it. The P238 was smooth as silk - and I think this will be, too.

Anyway, that's a long way of saying the Elite SC may be my house gun now when it gets back from the factory. The P938 will be my EDC concealed.

I'm just curious if any of you guys have either gun and what you think about them. I'm sure once the Elite SC gets back it will be fine, but it is so bulky and heavy that it's not a good gun for me to carry like I do.

Thanks for a great resource here!
Old February 4, 2020, 10:36 AM   #2
TunnelRat

Out of curiosity, what ammo specifically were you using?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2020, 10:46 AM   #3
riffraff

I have a 238 and 938.

238 is the plane jane version, just contrast sights, black, simple grip, came with a 6 round mag. Was < $400 "retail"..

938 is the pretty rosewood engraved version, which I paid $450 for used at buds. Was reportedly in excellent condition and indeed upon receiving it I found what I believe to be a very lightly used and well kept pistol. Despite what some others online said about the engraved models mine is beautiful.

If I bought another tomorrow I might look for a 238 Spartan (steel frame) else I would look to the legion versions on both, no concrete reason rather it's just because I really love them and now would commit.

I do not shoot either often, I know I should train more with a carry pistol but typically at the range I always reach for for full size stuff first. Both I found to be really well operating and accurate, very fun to shoot, reliable (about 500 rounds each no failures), and I feel they are of good quality.

The only thing I dislike compared to DA/SA Sigs that I prefer is taking them apart is a bit more difficult, they are not that difficult but also are not something you could do with your eyes closed. I do wish they made something this size in DA/SA, with a decocker and such, but they don't (at least Sig doesn't and they are down the street practically for me), so this 1911 style is the next best thing for me.
Old February 4, 2020, 10:52 AM   #4
riffraff

I guess I would add the size difference 238 to 938 isn't much, but the 238 is what I tend to carry. It just works better in a pocket holster, in a right hand IWB holster clipped to my right front pant pocket, or in a left hand IWB holster clipped to the inside pocket of a jacket. The 938 is heavier so can't be carried so flexibility without flopping around.
Old February 4, 2020, 11:34 AM   #5
mrstangblb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Out of curiosity, what ammo specifically were you using?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I was using Winchester 124 grain NATO and Fiocchi 115 grain - the first time out was all 124, and the second time was half and half.
Old February 5, 2020, 10:10 PM   #6
RickB

I bought a P938 in March of 2017, and have about 3,000 rounds through it.
After shooting almost nothing but 1911s of various sizes and chamberings for twenty years, I now rarely shoot anything but the SIG.
It was perfect for the first thousand rounds, then I had a few instances of hammer follow, which was repaired.
I really dislike the design of the "basepad" on the seven-round mags, and the poor shape of the thumb safety is an ongoing irritation, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about it, overall.
Old February 10, 2020, 07:12 AM   #7
wmg1299

I have owned a P238 Legion for awhile, and just picked up a Used (Factory Certified) P938 Extreme. Both guns are very accurate, and are easy to conceal. I have large hands, and the P938 starts to really punish the webbing between my thumb and forefinger after about 100 rounds or so. I don't see this as a serious issue, unless you plan on a lot of extended range sessions. Of the two, I actually prefer the P238, but the P938 is a fine pistol.