The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2020, 02:57 PM   #1
SGW Gunsmith

I Realy Like It Now

My main carry pistol is this Glock 23 in .40 S&W caliber. I shot this pistol for quite some time until I acquired a list of various aspects that I wanted to improve, or change.
First was the trigger pull, which was easy enough to get down to 3-3½ pounds.
Then, I changed the sights, both front and rear. Rear to adjustable.
During extended range sessions, that dang polymer frame got to be sorta hard on my shooting hand, so I installed the Pachmayr sleeve on the grip. World of better. The coating on the slide was wearing off fairly quickly, which I felt was due to the Fobus hard plastic holster. I sent the slide off to Robar to have the silver hard finish applied, and then ordered a Diamond D shoulder rig. I like this set-up much better, and it's very comfortable to wear:

The full house carry rounds that I carry in all three magazines is quite snappy and the muzzle flips up rather smartly, so off to Mag-na-Port to get some slots EDM'd in place, with the idea to get the muzzle flip reduced, even somewhat:

It's by no means a flat shooting pistol, but the reduction in muzzle flip is indeed there.
Old February 13, 2020, 04:34 PM   #2
Forte S+W

Very nice. I carry an SW40VE which is a clone of the G23 and I really like it. The size, weight, and capacity just seem to hit the sweet spot for concealed carry, resulting in a firearm which can be comfortably carried without having to compromise on firepower.
Old February 13, 2020, 04:57 PM   #3
larryf1952

Very nice! I just took delivery of a new Gen 4 G23 last week. I put a Brass Stacker single stage stainless recoil guide and spring into it, but that's all that I plan on doing to it. I'm a relatively new Glock owner; the only other Glock that I have is a Gen 3 G19 that I bought a couple of years ago.

I bought into the Glock hate for a long, long time. Then, I decided to try the G19 and I was amazed at how well I shot it. It just felt good. It was easy for me to shoot well. I could put 20 shots into a 2" hole at 30' pretty easily, whereas I have to struggle with some of the other 9's that I own to accomplish the same thing. I have long and slender hands, and it feels very comfortable to me.

The new G23 is the same way. I even like the OEM sights. The guns themselves are ridiculously simple. I'm not a Glock fanboy yet. But, I know a good gun when I shoot one.
Old February 19, 2020, 06:27 PM   #4
JDBerg

I have that Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove on my Gen3 19, which works well with the Grip Force Adapter that I installed on the gun.

It’s good to see that you got your slide refinished at Robar before they went out of business last year.
Old March 1, 2020, 07:21 PM   #5
SGW Gunsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
Very nice! I just took delivery of a new Gen 4 G23 last week. I put a Brass Stacker single stage stainless recoil guide and spring into it, but that's all that I plan on doing to it. I'm a relatively new Glock owner; the only other Glock that I have is a Gen 3 G19 that I bought a couple of years ago.

I bought into the Glock hate for a long, long time. Then, I decided to try the G19 and I was amazed at how well I shot it. It just felt good. It was easy for me to shoot well. I could put 20 shots into a 2" hole at 30' pretty easily, whereas I have to struggle with some of the other 9's that I own to accomplish the same thing. I have long and slender hands, and it feels very comfortable to me.

The new G23 is the same way. I even like the OEM sights. The guns themselves are ridiculously simple. I'm not a Glock fanboy yet. But, I know a good gun when I shoot one.
It took me quite a while to "shine up" to a striker fired semi-auto pistol. All my mentors were strictly 1911 proponents, so that's naturally what I gravitated to during my learning stages. As the Glocks became more and more popular with local LEO's and I had the opportunity to shoot some of these service pistols, reality finally struck a chord.
I'm not one bit disappointed in my selection of my current "life insurance policy" and how this pistol handles for me, with the personalization I've melded into it.
Old March 1, 2020, 10:54 PM   #6
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The only mod I did to my G19 is to put a G17 smooth trigger in it---feels a lot better to me---it really needs some night sights when I get around to it.
-------Metallica