The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 12, 2019, 12:23 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Just keep in mind that the lower handguard wood is thin. It really helps to have one of the special pliers for getting those handguard clips on and off.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 12, 2019, 05:56 PM   #27
Reloadron

I should have mentioned that. The right tool helps a good bit. I have seen countless upper hand guards split as a result of guys trying to get the band off using a screwdriver or other tool trying to pry the band off.

On another note your rifle looks to have a well oil soaked stock which is very dark in color. There are countless pages written on how to refinish a stock but I can share what worked well for me years ago when I was really into the Garands.

I would fill a deep sink with TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) available from any home improvement or hardware store. Fill the deepsink with TSP and scalding hot water. Then place all the wood in the cleaning solution. Yes, in the below image that is a rock I use to hold the stocks down in the solution.

The green pad is just everyday scotchbrite. About every 30 min I remove the wood and scrub it down with the scotchbrite pad. I generally leave the wood in the cleaner for about an hour or two.

I remove the wood and allow it to dry for a day or so in the sun. Just an average sunshine day or overnight indoors. You don't want it to dry too fast and we don't want split wood.

The below wood has been cleaned and I used Birchwood Casey Tru Oil for the finish. You can use BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil). Tung Oil or any number of other finishes. The pictures stock is an original GI later stock made from Birch, they were commonly called the orange wood stocks.

https://www.bearblain.com/images/Stocks%203.png

The end result comes out like this.

There are as I mentioned, countless ways to refinish a M1 Garand stock and I only mention one method I liked using. Brownell's still sells a whiting compound paste which is used to draw years of dirt and oil out of a GI stock. Then too, you may just want to enjoy it and shoot it as is.

I also bought new stocks from Boyds Gun Stocks over the years.

The posted images are mine and linked to a domain which I own anyone can feel free to lift them but please don't link to my domain.

Ron
Old August 16, 2019, 10:38 AM   #28
Calfed

Quote:
Here's an interesting piece of trivia about your rifle. The rear handguard band looks to be a grooved version. The earliest grooved versions were stamped on the inside with the drawing #B8870 and latter grooved had no stamped drawing number. The grooved bands only went through the fall of 1942 production but on a mix master they turn up every now and then but you really don't see them much like the grooved lower bands. Pretty cool really.

Enjoy the rifle and may it bring you many happy hours on the range.

Ron
Thanks for the information about that handguard band, Ron!
Old August 16, 2019, 10:39 AM   #29
Calfed

Quote:
You really don't see them much. I have a grooved lower band in my parts box but don't think I have an upper. They are sought after by guys who want to make a rifle correct.

Calfed, if you want a newer band I will be happy to send you one as I have plenty of them. This way you can hang on to the more sought after band. Just shoot me a PM and I'll drop one in the mail. It's on me.

Ron
Thanks, again Ron...PM sent.
Old August 16, 2019, 11:33 AM   #30
Reloadron

Got the PM and will send you a new band next week. My pleasure and it's on me.

Ron
Old August 16, 2019, 07:45 PM   #31
Calfed

Thanks again, Ron
Old August 17, 2019, 11:47 AM   #32
RC20

I am not into Garands but that is one nice rifle. I do appreciate them.

Agreed on the wood. Keep it, clean it up if you want but it looks darned good.
Old August 17, 2019, 11:57 AM   #33
Calfed

I know the stock resembles the oil, cosmoline soaked stocks that you sometimes see, but this one is simply darkly stained...it is bone-dry.
Old August 19, 2019, 08:55 AM   #34
Reloadron

On the way, I sent it USPS this morning so figure several days to CA. I wrapped it in a napkin and 3X5 index carrd. If you don't see it in a week or so we can worry. Also, remember how thin that rear handguard wood is so if you don't have the tool, be real careful.

Ron
Old August 19, 2019, 10:08 AM   #35
Calfed

Thanks, Ron!

I'll let you know when it arrives
Old August 19, 2019, 11:28 AM   #36
Reloadron

More than welcome and just shoot me a PM so I know it got there.

Ron
Old August 19, 2019, 04:28 PM   #37
Calfed

Will do!
Old October 6, 2019, 04:27 PM   #38
Fullclip610

That dark stock looks great