The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Closed Thread

Old October 14, 2004, 11:43 PM   #1
trixtunts
Registration in progress

remington 597

does anybody know how to convert a remington 597 to fully automatic? i am halfway there, but i cant keep the hammer from following the action. i need to find out a way to keep the hammer down until the action is foward enough to let the hammer strike the firing pin.
Old October 15, 2004, 02:57 AM   #2
C_Yeager

Never thought i would get an "IBTL" at thefiringline.

Try not to kill yourself before you get a chance to go to prison.
Old October 15, 2004, 06:23 AM   #3
4 Wheel Drive

Try contacting the BATF-they might be able to help you.
Old October 15, 2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

This one is WAY out of bounds

trixtunts - -

It is against TFL board policy to advocate or assist in any violation of local, state, or federal law. There may be a certain amount of discussion concerning, "WOULD it be legal to . . ." or, "How could I go about legally doing such-and-such?"

Under the current law and BATFE regulations, a private individual can not legally make a machine gun for personal use. From what you write, "i am halfway there . . .," you are already involved in the attempt. I don't know if you have progressed far enough to constitute a violation of federal law.

I feel obligated to warn you to proceed no farther in your efforts. If possible, you should restore the rifle to original condition. You should destroy any parts you have modified in your attempt to manufacture a machine gun.

I think we would be rather naïve to think that firearms interest boards would NOT come under at least some observation by various federal agencies. I am also confident they have the means to trace the location of any computer used to post on this or other boards. In short, IF your question is serious, you are in a fair way to getting yourself into a lot of legal trouble.

If, on the other hand, you are someone's snitch, trying to "work off a case" by entraping others into illegal acts, this is a really clumsy and crude way to do it. A third possibility which comes to mind: If you are some kind of over-eager cop or federal agent trollling for extra credit - - Shame on you.

Johnny Guest
Full Auto Forum Moderator
The Firing Line
Old October 15, 2004, 03:01 PM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

There's probably nothing to be gained by leaving this thread open.

CLOSED

Any other communication on this matter, please PM or e-mail me.

Johnny Guest
Closed Thread