The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2019, 09:30 AM   #1
USNRet93

Duplicating gun inventory, buying a 'spare'?

So you have a gun, or two, you really, really like..And you are lucky enough to shoot them a LOT...does anybody buy a duplicate/spare..'just in case'??

I really like my Glock 42..shoot it a lot(like about 3500 rounds so far, a little over a year)..no issue, no problems but I also carry it everyday..should I get a spare?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 18, 2019, 09:50 AM   #2
TXAZ

I've considered buying another Sig 226, but probably won't.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 18, 2019, 09:51 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've had duplicates a number of times, but I was shooting a LOT of competition. I once had three Buckmarks, two original Coonan .357mag semi's, two Bill Davis custom built .357mag revolvers, and two S&W custom shop auto's (one in .356TSW and one 9x21 (iirc on the second one)). Hate to travel hundreds of miles, or a couple thousand a couple of times, and not have a gun to shoot when the shoot begins. Other than that circumstance, no I haven't. However, if any of my current guns goes down I always have something else in the safe to use. It might be different, but I wouldn't have it if I didn't like it. If almost sixty years of owning handguns, other than competition, I've never had one break down to the point I couldn't fix it myself. Usually something small like an extractor or ejector or something. They just don't fall apart normally.
Old January 18, 2019, 10:19 AM   #4
Charlie98

I carry a Kahr CW9 (or CM9) everyday... I have 4 of them. Granted, they are in use... I carry one, I have one in my desk drawer, and I have my CM9 in the nightstand... but I rotate my carry piece every 60 days or so (to clean it, and test fire it for function) with one of the spares.

The other factor is losing a piece... back in the day I had my single Kahr CW9 stolen out of my truck... and then I had to go back to carrying a .38 revolver until I replaced it. At the time, the market was in the throes of the Great Shortage (2010) and I was lucky to find a replacement (the CM9, which wasn't my first choice, but in the end it works well.) If, for some reason, I lose my carry piece, I can instantly replace it with a like pistol.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 18, 2019, 10:26 AM   #5
bbbbryan

I got a good deal on two identical Kimber Solos. I liked everything about them but they have a pretty questionable reputation. Given that the line was discontinued, I ended up buying both of them.

I’ve been taking one of them to the range every time I’ve gone and I’m pleased to discover it’s as reliable as can be. Once I have 1000 through it, I’ll start testing the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 18, 2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Red Devil

Have duplicates, but for a different reason.

Primary SD pistol (GLOCK G36) has a twin - because if it is ever used for its intended purpose? It will be in an evidence locker for quite some time.

Red
Old January 18, 2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Targa

I would just keep extra springs and maybe a barrel lying around. I do not have duplicates of anything, there just to many other guns I want. With that said, I plan on buying another 1911 simply because my wife hogs the Colt and I rarely get to shoot it...

Last edited by Targa; January 18, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old January 18, 2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

I have duplicates as well.
Old January 18, 2019, 11:39 AM   #9
TBM900

All of my working guns have at least one twin, sometimes three or four.

I break-in and function fire ~500 rounds with the carry load and magazines. It gets cleaned, logged, and put into carry rotation. The twin then becomes the practice primary and ultimately beat to hell, often I will run until malfunction & failures that way Ive got an idea of longevity. Its also great because I don't have to fart around with cleaning after each session, take my primary out of rotation, or impart wear & tear on it (yes repeated disassembly causes wear and opens door to reassembly error).
Old January 18, 2019, 11:49 AM   #10
USSR

I have many "duplicates", but I don't call it that. I call it a "collection".

Don
Old January 18, 2019, 11:56 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

Not "identical" duplicates. But same make and model in different grip style, calibers, or barrel length.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2019, 11:58 AM   #12
Jim Watson

I have functional equivalents but no duplicates in detail.

Anecdote Alert: A guy here bought a SIG P210. He had a range behind his small town doctor's office and shot it every day at lunch break. He got another for a spare. After 20 years of daily use, he had not worn out the first one so he traded off the spare.
Old January 18, 2019, 12:08 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

I have various 9mm Glocks. They do serve as a spare for a match.
Old January 18, 2019, 02:10 PM   #14
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post

Primary SD pistol (GLOCK G36) has a twin - because if it is ever used for its intended purpose? It will be in an evidence locker for quite some time.

Red
Apply this rationale to going on a trip.
If gun used in defense, could end up in evidence; being unarmed for remainder of trip not appealing.
Not exact duplicates, but close enough.
1911's in 45 acp - XDs pocket pistols in 45 acp, took a complete replacement for primary and pocket gun including magazines and holsters.

I'm carrying a 1911 + 2 spare mags + pocket gun in "summer attire" while walking my buddy; we walked 2-3 miles every day (as usual) on the trip.
Old January 18, 2019, 02:31 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

I have duplicates of sever of my favorite guns. And by duplicate I mean same caliber and barrel length. They can wear different grips. I don't consider the same model in a different caliber to be a duplicate.

I have them because I wanted them, and had the money at the time to get them. They keep quite well. I'm not concerned about wearing out my favorite, but things do happen, things can break, and it is comforting to me to know that if something puts my main gun out of action, I have another to use until my regular is back up and running.

Also there is the (unlikely) defense use. If you ever do use a firearm defensively, expect the police to take it (evidence), and keep it until ALL legal processes are completed. Having a duplicate means you aren't without until you get it back from the police, and also since it is a duplicate, you don't need to re-train on something different.

And, there is also the potential that you can sell the duplicate(s) at need to fund other things. I used to have four 6" Highway Patrolman, now, I'm down to two. I could part with one more, at need, and still have one, though I'd prefer not to.

If there is a gun you really, really like, and you can afford it, get a second one. You don't need to use it, unless you want to, you could consider it a "savings bond" and put it away until needed. And, there is also the fact that many guns, or specific variations of them, DO go out of production, so you can't count on being able to get an exact replacement for you favorite years down the road when you actually might need one.
Old January 18, 2019, 03:21 PM   #16
IdaD

I have a lot of guns that overlap in function but no exact duplicates - pistols, rifles and shotguns.
Old January 18, 2019, 03:56 PM   #17
TBM900

Why have one when you can have two for twice the price......

Old January 18, 2019, 05:21 PM   #18
stephen426

I think for common guns, it doesn't make sense to get a duplicate. You can always get another if you want. Less common guns can be considered an investment, or insurance if your first copy gets lost, stolen, or severely damaged.

Guns like the Sig P210, Colt Python, and H&K P7M8 are great examples of "why the heck didn't I buy a few more of each". The above mentioned guns have gone through the roof, and even used versions fetch a hefty price. Some of the S&W Performance center guns have had a nice jump in value, as have some of the specialized Sigs (X-Five). I highly doubt the mass produced "plastic fantastic" guns will ever see much increase in value. The sheer number of them available makes it much easier to pick one up, even if they get discontinued.
Old January 18, 2019, 05:33 PM   #19
Nodak1858

I have a sweet tooth for C&R handguns, and for some reason feel the need to buy two of each. I have no clue why or real reason for it. Kind of just happened, would see a good deal so pick up a duplicate here or there, slowly spreading over to long guns as well. My kids/wife will have a fit when I croak and they clean out my gun room and see everything.
Old January 18, 2019, 05:39 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

I have two pairs of identical guns,,,
But they are target/plinker style .22 pistols.

I also have a matching pair of Beretta NEOS pistols.

It's nice to have two identical guns for when you take a friend shooting.

That's the only reason I can see for me to have a "spare" gun,,,
If a gun breaks I have others I can use while it's being repaired.

Or like others have said here,,,
I'll just go buy another like it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 18, 2019, 05:41 PM   #21
Drm50

I have dupes and multiples in quite a few S&W revolvers. I have some that are keepers, and
some NIB and others that are just hi condition shooters. Other than the keepers the others are more for trade than anything else. I'm only interested in a narrow portion. 5 to 6.5"
P&Rs adj sight models K & N frame. I pick up longer & shorter models just for trade if price is right. I want mine for shooting purposes, not show & tell.
Old January 18, 2019, 06:06 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil

Ditto. Same reason. But mine is a Colt 1911 (Officers ACP).
Old January 18, 2019, 06:16 PM   #23
stephen426

I guess there is always the possibility of buying 2 identical guns so you can double fist them! LOL
Old January 18, 2019, 08:50 PM   #24
bac1023

Quote:
I have functional equivalents but no duplicates in detail.

Anecdote Alert: A guy here bought a SIG P210. He had a range behind his small town doctor's office and shot it every day at lunch break. He got another for a spare. After 20 years of daily use, he had not worn out the first one so he traded off the spare.
The Swiss P210 is one of the most durable pistols of all time. Very difficult to hurt them.

They love hot ammo too.

Last edited by bac1023; January 18, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old January 18, 2019, 09:12 PM   #25
jonnyc

Hmmmmmm..........8 Hi-Powers, 3 Radoms, 2 Makarovs, 2 CZ82s, 5 Tokarevs, and 6 Beretta M70s. They're like children; all a bit different, and you love them all.
I see no problem here.