The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 4, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1
insp

MPRI Beamhit 190 Laser Training System

Is a rip off at $1050. This is a common webcamera costing about $30.00. They install a 655nm coherent light bandpass filter available from Thor Labs for about $40 to knock out ambient light and only let the laser light pass. The case is a cheep injection molded plastic case worth maybe $20. The rod mounted external lazer is about $100, the in bore laser is available from Laserlyte or Laser Devices, Inc, for up to $350 depending on the model you want. They sell their software CD-ROM for $250 which is a bit steep, any decent web programmer could replicate something similar. In short, they want $1050 for what amounts to about $190-400 plus software. They defend their pricing saying that they must charge more than they charge GSA customers. This falls into the category of limited interest life toys. I just bought a used one in perfect condition for $80. Dummys buy it, use it, get tired of it, and dump it. Yes it works, NO its not worth $1050 and they have a beliggerant return policy, if your camera dies, they force you to replace the entire system, no parts are sold. They really think they are something else, but now they are exposed for the rip off they really are. Buy a used one for almost nothing and get the software, then build your own.
Old September 4, 2010, 02:27 PM   #2
g.willikers

Won't a $90 blowback airgun give equally as good feedback?
Old September 4, 2010, 04:00 PM   #3
BitterTait

I've been waiting for an open source project to come out for this. as you said, the total equipment outlay would be under $200, about 3 times that if you go the projector route but still reasonable. For the development portion you could even skip the LaserLyte barrel plug and go with a dime store The software's the hard part, and from my (admittedly limited) knowledge it's not that much of a challenge. It'd be a trivial matter to map the blip on the screen with a mouse click, and then you can train on everything from custom tactical scenario software to the latest version of Crysis.

The only thing I know of that fills the purpose and is open source software is This by waterloo labs. They've published the parts, specs and software, but requires 6k worth of hardware and 1k worth of software to use it. More fun, hopefully will pop up at a few ranges, but out of reach of most for fun shooters.