The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 09:32 PM   #1
osbornk

A Henry or a Henry

This probably only matters to me.

Two or three years ago when my grandson said he was working toward becoming an Eagle Scout, I promised him my standard Henry lever action 22. He has worked hard and recently met all the requirements and will have the presentation in a week or two. He has been looking forward to the Henry that is nine years old but looks like new. I thought about it long and hard and decided I didn't want to give up a Henry. I went and bought him a beautiful Golden Boy because I feel it is nicer for his special occasion. I think I am going to give him his choice but encourage him to choose the Golden Boy. Regardless of which one he chooses, he will get the other one when I am gone. My other grandchildren are girls that has no interest in guns.

This grandson recently was award a scholarship from the Roan Scholars Leadership Program at East Tennessee State University. He is the first home schooler to ever win this $100,000 scholarshjp.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:51 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

For some more incentive for the Golden Boy remember that custom engraving is available. They may even already have some BSA, or Eagle Scout styles that they have on file.
https://www.henryusa.com/personalized-henry-firearms/
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 3, 2020, 06:19 AM   #3
Gary Gill

Stay true to your word. If he wants your rifle rather than a new one, give it gladly. Teaching him a man's word means something is more important than you keeping your rifle. You don't want to lose his respect for you and your word. I don't mean to harsh but you are leading by example.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:59 PM   #4
valleyforge.1777

I presume you posted this here because you want our opinions.
Well, sorry to say that my opinion is that you'd be like Elizabeth Warren, an Indian Giver!

Really, you promised him something that will be important to him and now you want to substitute it with something else? And, that's how you want him to remember you as time moves forward over the decades to come?

Hopefully the boy will inherit many things and fine traits from you. But who knows.
I can tell you that by a situation of circumstances beyond our control, what I inherited from my grandfather were some traits I think are great, but only one physical thing. I got a rifle he brought back from World War 2 when he served in the Pacific. The prices have increased a bit lately for these Japanese T99's, but when it was given to me, the rifle was worth about $100 or less. Even today it is by no means a popular cartridge to shoot or a popular platform for shooting. My grandfather was a hunter and had other rifles which he divested of as time went on. The only one he kept was the T99 from the war. I've got lots of other firearms to shoot, many of which are more precise, in better condition, and much more popular and indeed worth more money. But that Japanese T99 rifle is my prized possession specifically because it was given to me by my Grandfather and it was the only rifle he held onto when he was no longer hunting. That it was his, not one he bought for me, is what makes it so valuable to me.

What will your grandson remember about you?
Old May 3, 2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Hawg

He probably wont like the drop in the stock of the Golden Boy if he's used to shooting the standard model.
Old May 3, 2020, 02:07 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
He is the first home schooler to ever win this $100,000 scholarshjp.
He deserves both rifles! You might hint that you'd still like to use one every now and then.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:22 PM   #7
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gill View Post
Stay true to your word. If he wants your rifle rather than a new one, give it gladly. Teaching him a man's word means something is more important than you keeping your rifle. You don't want to lose his respect for you and your word. I don't mean to harsh but you are leading by example.
He has the choice and I've actually always wanted a Golden Boy myself but I wouldn't spend the extra money on me.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:23 PM   #8
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
He deserves both rifles! You might hint that you'd still like to use one every now and then.
He will end up with both of them but I'm 72 and I want to keep one to shoot until I get so old I can't shoot any longer.
Old May 4, 2020, 09:59 AM   #9
valleyforge.1777

Notice how nobody says it is fine for you to bait-and-switch on the boy?

Still can't tell why you came here to post this except if you knew in your heart that what you were doing was wrong and the boy would know that, but you thought you'd get some sort of validation from all of us and that would make it OK? Not OK. It's not, and your heart knows it. Grandson, too.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:59 PM   #10
ammo.crafter

Henry

He would like to have your Henry because it is your Henry.
Old May 4, 2020, 08:08 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Your word should mean something.
Old May 5, 2020, 05:47 PM   #12
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyforge.1777 View Post
Notice how nobody says it is fine for you to bait-and-switch on the boy?

Still can't tell why you came here to post this except if you knew in your heart that what you were doing was wrong and the boy would know that, but you thought you'd get some sort of validation from all of us and that would make it OK? Not OK. It's not, and your heart knows it. Grandson, too.
Where do you get this bait and switch? I'm giving him the choice of a used base model or a new fancier one. If it was a car, it would be like offering him a used base model vehicle or a fancy new one.

Besides, he will know he will end up with both and he is actually choosing which one he wants me to shoot until I age out.

Shortly before he died last summer, his other grandfather gave me his cherished Single Six to remember him by because he knew my grandson will end up with it and he will have one gun to remember both of his grandfathers.
Old May 5, 2020, 07:40 PM   #13
P Flados

Giving him the the option of the older gun or a newer one is a fine idea as a gift for an Eagle scout.

By his achievement, I am betting he has the brains to see the "good side" of you giving him the choice.
Old May 5, 2020, 08:05 PM   #14
stagpanther

Quote:
He will end up with both of them but I'm 72 and I want to keep one to shoot until I get so old I can't shoot any longer.
Understood. Shooting is also one of the last sports I can enjoy as I descend into my "golden years" as well. I wish you at least another 20 years of happiness at the range.
Old May 5, 2020, 08:15 PM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Where do you get this bait and switch? I'm giving him the choice of a used base model or a new fancier one. If it was a car, it would be like offering him a used base model vehicle or a fancy new one.
The bait and switch is that -- at least as you related the story -- you didn't promise him a choice, you promised him your Henry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornk
Two or three years ago when my grandson said he was working toward becoming an Eagle Scout, I promised him my standard Henry lever action 22.
And now you've changed your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornk
I thought about it long and hard and decided I didn't want to give up a Henry.
What's unclear about that?
Jeepaholic
Old May 6, 2020, 08:54 PM   #16
McShooty

You're OK Osborn K. I am sure you know what would be best in your family better than I do. I think you probably had some sessions with your grandson while he was working on the Eagle and that is more important than a gun. Ok. Now, if I were you I would keep the original plan and keep the Golden Boy myself. They are beautiful. I am older than you and my range days are numbered, but I will never give up my GB (and some other favorite guns). I just love to have it around to look at and work the action. But, as you say, he will eventually end up with both of them. Good luck to you and your talented grandson.
Old May 7, 2020, 02:23 PM   #17
hub1home

You promised him YOUR Henry. That's what you should give him. The only alternative that I can see is give him your Henry and THEN let him see the Golden Boy and see if he wants to swap. Has he ever shot your Henry?
Old May 7, 2020, 08:26 PM   #18
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hub1home View Post
You promised him YOUR Henry. That's what you should give him. The only alternative that I can see is give him your Henry and THEN let him see the Golden Boy and see if he wants to swap. Has he ever shot your Henry?
He shoots it better than me.
Old May 7, 2020, 09:53 PM   #19
PatientWolf

I’m in agreement with the others. Stick with the promise you made. If you want a golden boy pick one up for yourself.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:46 AM   #20
COSteve

osbornk, you're missing the point many are trying to make. It doesn't matter if the Henry is pristine or a wreck, it's your's. Your grandson will appreciate your gun because it's the one you used not because it's fancy or plain. BTW, I'm 72 myself and I say give him what you promised him. He wants it. He worked for it. He's entitled to it.
Old May 9, 2020, 01:19 PM   #21
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by COSteve View Post
osbornk, you're missing the point many are trying to make. It doesn't matter if the Henry is pristine or a wreck, it's your's. Your grandson will appreciate your gun because it's the one you used not because it's fancy or plain. BTW, I'm 72 myself and I say give him what you promised him. He wants it. He worked for it. He's entitled to it.
I think many are missing the point I was trying to make. Since he will know that he will someday in the not too distant future have both of them, it's really his decision as to which gun he chooses for me to shoot until then.
Old May 9, 2020, 05:03 PM   #22
Mal H
Staff

... and that is a good closing point for this one. I'm sure osbornk knows what's best for his and his grandson's situation.
Closed Thread