The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 5, 2020, 03:02 PM   #1
tank1949

ARMS quick release rings moving POI?

Has anyone experience ARMS quick release 30mm rings moving POI? I am not talking about removing and reattaching scope and then noticing that POI has moved slightly. I am describing flyers, open groups and then going back to tight groups while shooting the same loads and using a Led Sled. I am having an issue with accuracy using a Leupold Mark 4/ARMS quick release rings/Rock River X-1(308). I mounted and tested a Schmidt Bender 2.5x10x 30mm scope using Warne quick release and groups were <MOA. I've had problems with Leupold before but they provided me great customer service.

Warne, typically loses about 1/2 MOA on my other rifles after removing and then reattaching. ARMS rings have good reputations, but I may have gotten a defect.
Old February 17, 2020, 09:16 AM   #2
MarkA

I have the A.R.M.S QD rings on a nice Vortex optic, that I bought when I was putting together a M1A. I did some other things to the rifle that so far, hasn't resulted in stellar performance. I was always suspect of the rings or the scope base, but.. as soon as I swapped the scope and rings over to my bolt gun, it was shooting <MOA on that platform.

So in short, no. Mine have been fine.
Old February 19, 2020, 05:37 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1949
I am describing flyers, open groups and then going back to tight groups while shooting the same loads and using a Led Sled.
I'm not clear what you mean. Are you saying that the same scope and rings shoot tight groups just fine when on a Lead Sled, but not in some other position? Or do you remove the scope for the Lead Sled tests and use some other sight? If the problem is the former, it is likely the other position is the problem. I've seen slipping shoulder contact cause 2 MOA shifts in POI, even with a sling on, but they've only moved the POI, not opened groups up. If you have an upper that doesn't float the handguard, I'd be suspicious stock pressure is on the barrel somewhere that isn't consistent. If it is other sights that work, then it is most likely the scope has something loose inside and needs factory service.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 10, 2020, 07:13 PM   #4
tank1949

Sorry to take so long to get back. ARMS rings were main problem. I swapped to fixed rings and most of the issues went away. Just to be sure I sent scope back and explained issue to Leupold! THX!