The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 22, 2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Kaliburz

Factory Cobray Sten magwell M11/9mm

Hello.... well, I just purchased a Cobray with a Sten mag well. The SN has the pre fix of 83, so I imagine it is from 1983.

I was under the impression that unmodified Sten mags would be used (have a bunch) but it appears it is not so. The limited searching & research has made conclude there are two versions of a Sten magazibe well. One use unmodifed Sten mags. Another version, is said to be used on Cobray M11/9mm guns from the factory, uses a Sten mag modifed by adding an flat extension on the back of the magazine for the magazine catch to latch. I inspected they catch on my M11 & looks like a normal mag catch (the Sten mag catch on FTF website is longer).

Yes, I understand there were conversions done to use Stens. But I am quite certain this is not a conversion.

So, my question is, how many factory Sten magwell Cobray M11/9mm were made?

Does any one have a source for Sten mags modified for use with this style? Folks have posted seeing Sten mags with the Cobray logo...

Or... does anyone know the dimentions/specifications for the location of spacer? I have mags I can modify... and one magazine came with the gun (spacer was JB Welded on). I have a mig welder and even (gasp) an accytelyne gas welding. Or I could try JB Weld... lol

The spacer looks to be the same thickness of the oem Sten outer sheet metal skin. I can probably extrapolate its thickness....by measuring the difference between the magazine length below sheet metal wrap & below it.

Thanks for any help!
Old May 23, 2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Scorch

There is a video on Youtube about the MAC pistols (9, 10, 11) that tells a lot about the different modifications over the years. I remember them talking about the magazines, but can't recall now. STEN and M3 mags were used in early production models because they were common throughout the military world at the time (late 1960s). If they were made today, it would probably be made with MP5 or Glock mags, but STENs, M3s and Uzis pretty much ruled the SMG world 50 years ago.
Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU9kVinACYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxp4RBe6it8
Old May 27, 2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Kaliburz

Thanks. I'll have to take a gander at them...
Old June 15, 2019, 12:31 PM   #4
Kaliburz

It was an interesting videos.

I would still love if someone had an actual Cobray modifed Sten magazine to get measurments off of...
Old July 6, 2020, 05:54 AM   #5
highrolls

I suspect someone associated with this site could help.

https://www.max-11.com/

They seem to be the experts on this gun design.
Old July 7, 2020, 01:15 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I had a Cobray M11/9 in the early 80s. It used Cobray mags, there were a few metal ones but most were plastic. They did work. Never any mention of STEN gun mags or anything like that.

My gun was the closed bolt model, because at the time certain fellows "in suits" were strongly discouraging dealers from ordering the open bolt gun, and Cobray stopped making them soon after. SMG lookalike = ok. Range toy/blaster =meh. Useful handgun for aimed fire? = sucked.
After getting one and finding out what it was, and wasn't, didn't like it much. Sold it after 2-3 years.

If the mag that came with your gun works, measure it and make another (better, if you can). If that one works, convert the rest of your mags.