The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2019, 07:40 AM   #1
claydoctor

S&W Shield Barrel Length

I'm confused. When S&W went to the 2.0 models on the Shield, did they lengthen the barrel?
Newer models are decribed as having 4.0 inch barrels and older ones like mine, are described as having 3.1 inch barrels, yet nothing I can find, describing features of the newer 2.0 models, mentions a longer barrel. The two models look identical. You'd think with almost an inch longer barrel, there would a visual difference.
Old December 6, 2019, 10:57 AM   #2
dontcatchmany

My Shield 40 (1.0) has a 3.1" barrel and my two Shield 45s (2.0) have 3.3" barrels.

I have read (MP-Pistol.com) where S&W lengthened the 9 and 40 to 4". I like mine at their original sizes as they are very accurate and easy to conceal and very, very reliable.

Do not know if you can still get the 3.1 inch version.
Old December 6, 2019, 11:15 AM   #3
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
My Shield 40 (1.0) has a 3.1" barrel and my two Shield 45s (2.0) have 3.3" barrels.

I have read (MP-Pistol.com) where S&W lengthened the 9 and 40 to 4". I like mine at their original sizes as they are very accurate and easy to conceal and very, very reliable.

Do not know if you can still get the 3.1 inch version.
This isn't completely true. They now offer longer barrel lengths in addition to the original barrel lengths.

You can go to S&W's website to see this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2019, 04:24 PM   #4
claydoctor

On closer inspection, I can see a difference. On a .45 Shield, for instance, I can see that on the earlier ones, the slide stopped pretty much at the end of the frame but on the 4 inch version, the slide extends a bit beyond and has indents like carry cuts. Interestingly, since the Sig p365 developed the longer barreled p365XL, it has been in every gun magazine but I have not seen a word about the Shield being offered in a longer barreled version.