The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2019, 11:19 PM   #1
ninosdemente

SIG Sauer P320 RX

I am interested in SIG Sauer® P320 RX Pistols. Currently it is on sale at Cabelas for $649. Which is displayed at $849 regular price. Haven't checked elsewhere for pricing. It comes with a Romeo red dot. I can only guess the red dot is a "entry level"? Which curious if it will hold from constant use. Any thoughts on this? I don't own much handguns. Have only S&W M&P Shield 9 and Bodyguard .380. Reason why buying at Cabelas is I have close to $300 in gift cards/Cabelas bucks combined. Open to suggestions. I'm looking for 9mm. Not looking for carrying (well never carried this set up so don't know what it feels like), more for range and do like the idea of putting a red dot and/or light/laser. For those that do have one, do you mind posting a picture of yours? Thanks in advanced.

The only other handguns I have gotten a chance to shoot are my brother's Glocks in 9mm and .380.
Old November 16, 2019, 07:51 AM   #2
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
I am interested in SIG Sauer® P320 RX Pistols. Currently it is on sale at Cabelas for $649. Which is displayed at $849 regular price. Haven't checked elsewhere for pricing. It comes with a Romeo red dot. I can only guess the red dot is a "entry level"? Which curious if it will hold from constant use. Any thoughts on this? I don't own much handguns. Have only S&W M&P Shield 9 and Bodyguard .380. Reason why buying at Cabelas is I have close to $300 in gift cards/Cabelas bucks combined. Open to suggestions. I'm looking for 9mm. Not looking for carrying (well never carried this set up so don't know what it feels like), more for range and do like the idea of putting a red dot and/or light/laser. For those that do have one, do you mind posting a picture of yours? Thanks in advanced.

The only other handguns I have gotten a chance to shoot are my brother's Glocks in 9mm and .380.
I'd certainly try to shoot one first...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 16, 2019, 10:16 AM   #3
precision_shooter

The 320 is a great pistol. I have the p320 XFive with no red dot, and it’s a good alternative for a striker fired polymer handgun for those that don’t like glock. I do prefer the trigger on the glock, but the Sig is livable. The Romeo dot sight is not an “entry level” but made to compete with trijicon, vortex, etc. I don’t have the Romeo but do have the vortex venom on a glock and like it.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old November 16, 2019, 10:47 AM   #4
jmhyer

If you are looking for a good pistol with a very decent red dot, I don't know anything that will beat this setup for ~$350 (sale price minus your $300 in gift cards). I'd be all over it.
Old November 16, 2019, 11:10 AM   #5
CockNBama

I bought the cabelas version about a year ago, and it is very good. I don't consider the Romeo an entry level device. I really like it, especially the automatic 'on' feature.

The only thing I don't especially like is the two tone color of the slide.

I also really like the holster that I got directly from SIG. It works equally well for a 320 with or without the optic.
Old November 16, 2019, 11:46 PM   #6
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help.

This is offered in the full size and compact. Any difference other than carry purposes? Guess would have to go to store and hold both to get a feel for.
Old November 17, 2019, 09:24 PM   #7
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
Thanks guys for the help.

This is offered in the full size and compact. Any difference other than carry purposes? Guess would have to go to store and hold both to get a feel for.
Round capacity.

I have the original full size model and, it is an excellent striker-fired handgun.
Old November 20, 2019, 11:48 AM   #8
raimius

The Romeo red dot is good, but won't take abuse like an Trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta point Pro. So, if it's primarily a range or competition gun, I'd recommend it.
Old November 21, 2019, 01:31 PM   #9
ninosdemente

Thanks for the input. Probably will be just for range. As I am considering the full size.
Old November 22, 2019, 06:48 AM   #10
Mackie244Bud

Quote:
The Romeo red dot is good, but won't take abuse like an Trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta point Pro. So, if it's primarily a range or competition gun, I'd recommend it.
I do not agree with that statement.

Sage Dynamics did a Romeo 1 review 2 years ago and the only thing that it failed was a 6 foot drop onto the Romeo's frame.
Since then Sig has made the Frame stronger and has offered a Steel Shroud that can be installed around the Romeo 1 should you want to go that route:

This video from a year ago shows the Romeo 1 Shroud Installation.
He is discussing the Version 2 Romeo 1's
By contrast My Romeo 1 is a Version 5..so you can see that Sig is constantly improving their Romeos.
I did not Install a Cover for my Romeo but if you are concerned it is a option.
If my Romeo had an Issue I would just send it to Sig and possibly get a new Version Romeo.
As stated below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=todNmgA0f2E

I have owned and carried a P320 Compact RX since April of 2017.
I have never dropped my P320 let alone dropped it upside down and right onto the Romeo 1 Cover
If I did Sig would replace it ASAP!

I had a issue with one of the side buttons and Sig installed a new Version 5 Romeo 1 onto my RX slide that I sent to Sig.
Turn-around less than 2 weeks. in 2018.
The Frame is larger and stronger..my original Romeo 1 plastic cover would only go 1/3 of the way over the Version 5 Romeo 1.
That was my first inclination that my new Version 5 was different.

Sig is dedicated to the Romeo series of Red Dots and their support of their Romeos is excellent should anyone have a issue.

I recently added a X-Compact Grip to my RX FCU & Slide.
I am very happy with my conversion.
The fact that I am able to take advantage of Sig's new X-Series of Grips for my original 2017 P320 RX is something to also consider when thinking about a Sig RX.

There is also the Sig Compact & Carry Pro versions that include the ability for Co-Witness iron sights..as well as mounting the new Romeo 1 & 2 Pro & the Leopold Delta Point Pro.Red Dots.
It is currently a LEO / First Rsponders P320 but it can be found on GunBroker for General Purchase and it will eventually be available to us all on a full basis.

My P320 X-Compact RX:

P320 X-Compact RX E.jpg

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; November 22, 2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old November 25, 2019, 07:53 PM   #11
ninosdemente

Thank you for the link and your explanation. Sure was helpful. Thanks for the picture... the one at Cabela's is a two tone... which not liking very much but not a big deal.
Old November 27, 2019, 12:22 PM   #12
raimius

Thanks Mackie, I was working of early production info. The one you posted looks larger/tougher than the one I own.