The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2001, 03:00 PM   #1
Kobra

Stainless Steel Spring for Benellis

Somewhere I read something about the replacement of a spring in my SBE with a Stainless Steel one would make it the "most reliable" duck gun in the world. Apparently this was the only design flaw anyone could find. Something about it allowed to get horribly wet this spring would rust and lock the gun up some or cause FTF or something. Anyway as the unstoppable tinker, I am always interested in "improvements".

I went to this site that sold them but now I can remember where it was.

If anyone has done this mod, how difficult is it? A Benelli gunsmith don't appear to be a dime a dozen.
Old November 21, 2001, 07:34 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

I guess that if one were to never shoot nor clean the gun, the stainless spring would last longer.

Have trouble thinkin that stainless spring in a gun would be more than hype.

Sam
Old November 21, 2001, 11:13 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Brownells sells them, search “benelli spring“, costs $100 plus IIRC. Might be a good idea if you hunted salt water marshes in a leaky boat, otherwise if you use just a modicum of care I don't think the it's worth it. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old November 25, 2001, 07:18 AM   #4
podwich

Wouldn't a stainless steel spring have a significantly reduced operating life?
Old November 25, 2001, 10:33 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Podwich....we thinkin alike...........Sam
Old November 26, 2001, 02:44 PM   #6
Kobra

I too would think the operating life would be shorter, but I just wanted to hear more on it because before it was just kind of mentioned when I read about it before.

I would treat it different but seeing how the whole board doesn't light up with "replace the spring" every time someone mentions a SBE....I tend to think it is just hype also. I was just curious if someone actually gained something from this mod.
Old November 26, 2001, 04:50 PM   #7
harrydog

If you're really concerned about the potential for rust on the spring, try applying a coat of Militech oil to it. This stuff actually penetrates slightly into the pores of the metal and stays there, even when it is wiped off. It would probably eliminate any rust potential in all but the most severe situations.
Old November 27, 2001, 01:40 AM   #8
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Kobra,

There was a guy six months back or so that posted the stainless steel spring was a great "fix" for the Benelli. Apparently he was a duck hunter that kept his shotgun fully submerged in the bottom of his boat most of the season. Benellis are popular with duck hunters because they function even when water logged - gas guns often won't.

I thought "sounds like a good idea". I got a 12ga Field and a 20ga Montefeltro. Then I saw the price! A 16oz bottle of CLP costs around 10 bucks and a little goes a long way. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old November 30, 2001, 10:18 PM   #9
Will Beararms

I am one of those guys who posted on the Benelli 6 Months ago.

Mack's Prairie Wings
1-800-229-0296
www.macksprairiewings.com

Page 136 Fall 2001-2002 Catalog
SURE CYCLE ACTION TUBE ASSEMBLIES

Benelli SBE,S-90 and Montefeltro 12 Gauge and 20 Gauge
Part Number SURBNL1

I am only 37. I do not own a gunshop. I am not a sports writer. I am not a moderator. I am not an expert. What I have to offer is 30 years of experience hunting in the flooded timber and swapmps of South Arkansas and North Louisiana.

I have seen em' all----------870's,SKB's,Berettas,Benellis,Brownings,Rugers,Franchis,
Mossbergs,Ithacas etc. The Benelli is a wonderful shooter and an unequaled sporting clay and upland bird gun-----------no finer semi exists. The problem lies within the recoil assembly in the stock. It will rust and as the rust gets more prevailent, the jaming starts. I have seen it happen with three SBE's and one Montefeltro and they were not left submerged in water either.

It happens one of two ways. One through the condensation that occurs when you bring a freezing cold gun back into a warm duck camp or vehicle. Secondly, if you hunt flooded timber in chest waders, as the butt stock dips in the water as you wade, the rust begins.

This can and does happen. It will also happen on any gun with a similar recoil mechanism housed in the butt stock. The Beretta is the same way. By the way, Beretta owns Benelli and all Benelli barrels are made by Beretta. Before we go further, I hunt with a Beretta and am a die hard Beretta man. What's more I like the shooting of the recoil-operated Benelli but the emporer has no clothes in this instance and I speak from factual experience not barber shop heresay. In the same breath, let me tell you that 1187 Remingtons (I have two and love them) are notorious for spitting out extractors at the 4,000 to 5,000 round mark. Browning Auto 5's don't shoot light loads well and Remington Express 870's will rust if you don't keep em' oiled like a drunk. I also have an 870 and an Auto 5 for the record.

I will keep my mouth shut on most threads hewre but when it comes to shotguns, I have some experience to offer. Thanks for hearing me out