The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2001, 08:44 AM   #1
Kharn

Fal receiver pics, need opinion (Warning: Pic intensive!)

Alright, I bet a few of you guys have heard of the Tannery Shop (Click here if you havent), well, what the Tannery Shop sells are blank recievers, they arent yet a firearm, so you can buy them through the mail and finish it yourself at home, you can only build it for personal use, so you cant sell it for one year after you make it. Their latest product is a Fal receiver, and since most of my experiences are with Ar15s, I dont know what to look for on the reciever. Can anyone ID what work needs to be done to make this receiver usable?

Thanks,
Kharn
Old August 10, 2001, 09:19 AM   #2
jimc

the guide rails for both the top/dust cover as well as the blt carrier assy, cuts for both the mag release and the bolt hold open. hole behind mag well for the front tahe down bolt where upper and lower come together. metric threads in front where barrel and uper join together.
don't know what the tannery shop charges for this. however unless you have access to all the blueprints with the correct measurements, as well as access to a machine shop, why not buy an upper from any of the vendors, such as dsa, entreprise, federal arms, tapco or pacific armament corp?
yes i knowthat you can have the satisfaction of actually saying that you built your fn from scratch (well almost) but the cost will more than likely be higher than a finished one. not to mention having to buy another lower if an oops occurs.
Old August 10, 2001, 11:48 AM   #3
Kharn

Doesnt the receiver need a hole for a gas pistol or something? Also, what about those projections over the magazine area, it just doesnt look right to me (looks like a double stack, single feed). Do you know what size tap is needed for the barrel threads? That tap is probably going to be the biggest cost for the rifle, except the reciever itself, which I would expect to cost about $150 or so.

No matter the work-load, these projects are good for people in the commie states, such as Kali, where confiscation of their guns could happen at any time.

Kharn
Old August 11, 2001, 01:50 AM   #4
Doubleought

Barrel threads are 1"X16tpi for inch and metric. Yes, it needs a hole for the gas piston. FAL receivers have two feed ramps, side by side. According to the following thread, the receiver is not quite up to the 80% point of finishing yet. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it ends up.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=42635
Old August 11, 2001, 08:05 AM   #5
Kharn

I'd just noticed the post by William last night right before I signed off. I wonder how far he is going to take these when he goes to 80%, considering how the 1911 frames just need the frame rails milled, and thats two simple passes with a milling machine and an $8 bit. It should be pretty cool when he gets these done.

Kharn