The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2015, 08:17 AM   #1
gman3

7828 Data Question

Was looking at load data for IMR 7828 for 257 Wby Mag. Various load manuals I have suggest a variety of loads depending on the bullet to be used, but the Hogdon online data only offers a maximum load.

Why would one suppose that is?

It doesn't suggest a starting load for other cartridges either. I like to get a variety of information from different sources, which is always different, and was curious as to why they don't suggest a starting load for that powder.
Old December 10, 2015, 06:08 PM   #2
sako2

back off 10% and work your way up.
Old December 10, 2015, 08:35 PM   #3
gman3

Yes of course, thanks. Load manuals do have starting loads, but I was wondering why Hogdon doesn't have one on their online data.
Old December 10, 2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

Just for giggles, contact Hodgdon and ask them. Nosler has a :starting: load for 7828.
Old December 11, 2015, 09:06 AM   #5
William T. Watts

Maybe it is a marketing gimmick to get people to purchase one of their manuals.. Non-the-less I like the internet but it is reassuring to have the manual in your hands when your searching for load data that you feel comfortable using. I do use the various websites for reference only but use my manuals when developing a new load plus a Chrony to ensure the velocity is what I expect from the ammunition I have just loaded.. FWIW I have 10 manuals plus Ken Waters pet loads for when I need to develop a load when changing components or adding a new rifle.. William
Old December 11, 2015, 05:52 PM   #6
gman3

Thanks Guys. Yes I do have Swift, Hornady, Lyman, Sierra, and other printed load manuals, and I do like to reference a variety of sources to get a feel for what might be a good load. Of course, as Mr. Watts says, the proof is in the shooting with the chrono. I do also like to reference the powder manufacturers info as well, since they make the stuff.

With all that being said, I was just curious as to why they don't have a starting charge for that one, since they do for almost every other load they have. Not curious enough, or concerned about it enough to go through the irritation of calling them, I can find plenty of loads in the books that I'm sure are perfectly safe, was just curious about that.

There are many very knowledgeable folks here, certainly more so than me, and was interested to hear why they think Hodgon doesn't suggest a starting charge for that load.