The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 18, 2013, 10:02 PM   #76
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
I just got my shipping notification today too! Can't wait to try it out.
Gdawgs,

Let me know how things go for your first run. I'm going to try to fish out some nasty ones like what Scott tested his with.
Old April 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #77
Gdawgs

Will do. I don't think I have anything that nasty though. Maybe I'll pick up so old 22 LR from the range just for kicks .

I was thinking of throwing some old cruddy looking pennies in there to see how they turn out.
Old April 19, 2013, 09:32 AM   #78
skimbell

Quote:
Funny you mention that, but someone just told stainlesstumblingmedia.com about this thread, and they're sending me a hat and a t-shirt!
Well you earned it. I PM'd you about this machine a couple of weeks ago. As a result of your comments I ordered the same set up you bought and recommended.
Of course the thing is back ordered but I'm OK with the wait.
Old April 19, 2013, 04:22 PM   #79
BumbleBug

I've been following this thread from the beginning & I decided I needed to try this for myself. I ordered the 2lb media refresher kit & tried tumbling a box of .45 ACP's in a toy tumbler using 1lb. The wifey had some lemisol & dish soap in the kitchen. Worked great in 4 hrs! Now I'm trying to hunt down a bigger tumbler! LOL

Old April 23, 2013, 08:56 PM   #80
Beanie-Bean

Big ol' box from UPS arrived today!

Finally got everything setup tonight after dinner.

Question: Did you guys chop the screws down? Or did you leave them long like mine are?

Had the requisite cleaning gear, along with one of my All-Clad 1/4 tsp:

Let's see what it looked like after 2 hrs:

Suds, so the Lemishine/Dawn/H2O mix was good:

Old April 23, 2013, 08:58 PM   #81
Beanie-Bean

Finished product. 10mm FC brass that was fairly tarnished:

Off to dry in the garage now:

Thanks for the great information I was able to pick up here!
Old April 23, 2013, 09:40 PM   #82
Grizz12

ok thats it!! now I have brass envy
Old April 24, 2013, 05:19 AM   #83
ScottRiqui

Glad all your stuff got there - the brass looks great!

You can knock off 90% of the water (and avoid water spots) by shaking the brass around in a towel. I usually dump the wet brass onto one end of an old bath towel, fold the towel lengthwise over the brass, and shake the brass back and forth inside the towel. Then, as I check the cases for stuck pins, I move them over to the dry half of the towel. Once they're all on the dry half, I repeat the shaking.

At that point, they're almost dry, and a few minutes in the sun, in the oven, or with a hair dryer will finish them off.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:34 AM   #84
Gdawgs

Oooh, it's so Purdy!! I'm still waiting on mine, it should be here tomorrow!
Old April 24, 2013, 09:54 PM   #85
Beentown71

I have my home made tumbler just about complete. I was wondering if there is a pound for pound ratio of brass compared to pins? I will be able to do MASS quantities of brass later as my largest tumbler is 10" in diameter and 18" long.

Thanks.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 24, 2013, 09:57 PM   #86
ScottRiqui

Quote:
I was wondering if there is a pound for pound ratio of brass compared to pins?
Well, the recipe that STM recommends and that works well for me is two pounds of brass, about eight pounds of water (one gallon) and five pounds of pins. I've heard of people using a little less water and a little more brass and still getting good results, but I haven't tried it myself.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:14 PM   #87
BumbleBug

Please post a picture when you get it finished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown71
I have my home made tumbler just about complete. I was wondering if there is a pound for pound ratio of brass compared to pins? I will be able to do MASS quantities of brass later as my largest tumbler is 10" in diameter and 18" long.
Please post a picture & some info when you get it finished!

...bug
Old April 24, 2013, 10:21 PM   #88
ScottRiqui

BTW, Beanie-Bean - those aftermarket knobs look great, and I'm definitely ordering a set. Even if they don't go on and come off faster than the stock wing nuts, I know I'll be a lot less likely to fumble and drop them.
Old April 25, 2013, 05:58 AM   #89
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottRiqui

BTW, Beanie-Bean - those aftermarket knobs look great, and I'm definitely ordering a set. Even if they don't go on and come off faster than the stock wing nuts, I know I'll be a lot less likely to fumble and drop them.
Thanks, Scott. I'm really enjoying the new rig, and am looking forward to loading out my first batch with the newly-cleaned brass for this weekend's range trip.

One thing I was having some trouble with was retaining the media during separation. A fine-mesh hand strainer (Oneida stainless) and a magnet solved that problem. Some brass had two pins stuck in the flash hole, and I used my Lee decapping die to push them free.

-BB
Old April 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #90
Beentown71

Quote:
Please post a picture & some info when you get it finished!

...bug
Sure will. It is a stout device. I used recycled equipment from factories/production lines:

5/8" stainless shafts
Pillow bearings
1 hp fan cooled motor

The drum is a 10" diameter and 18" long. Now I need more brass!

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old April 25, 2013, 11:09 AM   #91
Unclenick
Staff

Beentown71,

Did you read this thread on RPM limits for tumblers? From my table in post #11 of that thread, it looks like you'd hit 1g (where the brass goes around with the tub rather than falling) would be at about 79 RPM. Looks like around 30 rpm would be a good target rotation weight.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; June 4, 2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: fixed link to remove highlighting
Old April 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #92
Beentown71

Quote:
Beentown71,

Did you read this thread on RPM limits for tumblers? From my table in post #11 of that thread, it looks like you'd hit 1g (where the brass goes around with the tub rather than falling) would be at about 79 RPM. Looks like around 30 rpm would be a good target rotation weight.
I had not seen the thread but have 60RPM as a starting max written down as a guesstimate. I will peruse that thread now.

I have multiple pulley sizes to experiment once it is all together.

Old April 25, 2013, 02:58 PM   #93
Mike40-11

Alright, that's it. I've been watching this thread since the start and I can't stand it any more. I'm off to the maintenance shop to rummage around. I'm sure I've got enough crap and tools out there to build one. McMaster will have whatever I don't!
Old April 25, 2013, 04:55 PM   #94
Swampman1

Quote:
Well, the recipe that STM recommends and that works well for me is two pounds of brass, about eight pounds of water (one gallon) and five pounds of pins. I've heard of people using a little less water and a little more brass and still getting good results, but I haven't tried it myself.
Scott, I've heard people talk about washing the SS media before washing any brass, because the pins come with a sort of oily substance from the factory. I just got mine in today, and I think I'll wash them using the normal proceedure for brass...except only for about 30 minutes.
Old April 25, 2013, 05:05 PM   #95
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Scott, I've heard people talk about washing the SS media before washing any brass, because the pins come with a sort of oily substance from the factory. I just got mine in today, and I think I'll wash them using the normal proceedure for brass...except only for about 30 minutes.
Yeah, I did the pins by themselves with some Lemishine and Dawn first, before cleaning any brass. The water came out a little bit dirty, so there was definitely something on the pins from the manufacturer.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:20 PM   #96
Swampman1

Quote:
Yeah, I did the pins by themselves with some Lemishine and Dawn first, before cleaning any brass. The water came out a little bit dirty, so there was definitely something on the pins from the manufacturer.
I just now finish washing the pins with some Lemishine and Dawn for 30 minutes. The water came out pretty dark. Pins look very shiney now. Think I should run them through again, or maybe thats enough? Can't wait to try it on actual brass.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:26 PM   #97
ScottRiqui

I'd change out the solution and run it again, just to be sure.
Old April 25, 2013, 06:26 PM   #98
Gdawgs

My tumbler showed up today and the first batch is in! I didn't have any really nasty brass, but I'll post pics later. I also got my hands on some ceramic media that I'm going to try. They are 1mm in diameter. I'll let you know how that turns out as well

Old April 25, 2013, 09:17 PM   #99
Gdawgs

Woo Hoo, here's my first batch. This system is great. I have my second batch going now with the ceramic beads. We'll see what that does.

When I started up the tumbler for my second batch, the thing squealed like crazy. At first I thought it was the belt slipping but it ended up being the bushings and rods. I put a little silicone spray on those surfaces and it took care of that. Anyone else have that problem?

Beanie, I like those knobs you put on too. I ordered up a set. Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and no pins stuck in the primer holes for me. Sounds like some people were getting that.

Old April 25, 2013, 11:06 PM   #100
ScottRiqui

Quote:
When I started up the tumbler for my second batch, the thing squealed like crazy. At first I thought it was the belt slipping but it ended up being the bushings and rods. I put a little silicone spray on those surfaces and it took care of that. Anyone else have that problem?
That happened to me, too. The squealing was awful, the metal rods that the tumbler spins on were too hot to touch, and I started seeing little bits of rubber dust around the bushings.

The brass-specific instruction card that STM provided didn't say anything about lubing the bushings, but if you look at the rock-tumbling instructions from Thumler's, it's there. I used a little bit of Frog Lube, since it's non-petroleum and won't attack the rubber bushings, and no problems since.

I've suggested to STM that they update their instruction card to mention lubing.

Tags
brass , dirty , experiment , stainless , tumbling